Angry! Your messing up the food database!!

Options
OK I am so so so sick of seeing food entered into the database that are just completely wrong!! I am sick of people trying to cheat by entering the wrong calories for a particular food just so you can be under your calories for the day. I have seen some foods that have all the nutritional info just wrong like it was just made up.

Then I'll search for a food and I'll have to search through 50 of the same food to find the one that is actually correct based of the nutritional label.

People please stop adding your own versions of food to the database, it is messing people up badly, especially new people that may not know that the info is wrong.

I have corrected so many that it is hard to even put a number on it. When I see wrong info put in for a food, I will be correcting it and adding a (corrected) to the end of the food name.

Uuuugh, I am so sick of it!

Ok rant is over now.

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    Options
    DITTO! I so AGREE!!! It's aggravating!
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree! I posted something like this the other day! it's irritating
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Where's the LIKE button?

:D
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I agree!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Be careful though, I've noticed lots of food that's different in Canada than it is in the US...there should be some sort of management system...that's why I always confirm the entry if I find a good one.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It is annoying! I'm like "where did you get that number from?". I'm not sure how many I've corrected.
  • kathrynarnold
    Options
    OMG 100% agreed! I fixed the entry for my Izze drink today. But when people do that, they are only cheating themselves. The database isn't watching it's weight.... :smile:
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I sooooo agree with you!!! It is very frustrating sifting through all the bad ones to get to the one with the right information!!! :mad:
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    DB definatly needs a good cleaning. Is there a way to sort by # of confirmations or whether it was add by an MFP member?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    ha ha you have your work cut out for you......and the "edits" will only show to you.....just so you know....those other entries will not go away. You'll just be adding even more entries. You may want to save your energy.

Anything you edit will show in the list wihout an asterisk. ( * ) It makes it a little easier to find when you are scrolling.....
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This would take so much more time, but they need to just wipe out the user entries and start over. I don't know how many times I've been sabotaged by my own people, relying on false information to make decisions for the rest of my day regarding calories. How absurd!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    There should be a dig up or dig down feature on items and items that get dug down will be deleted or moved further to the bottom of the list .
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OK I am so so so sick of seeing food entered into the database that are just completely wrong!! I am sick of people trying to cheat by entering the wrong calories for a particular food just so you can be under your calories for the day. I have seen some foods that have all the nutritional info just wrong like it was just made up.

Then I'll search for a food and I'll have to search through 50 of the same food to find the one that is actually correct based of the nutritional label.

People please stop adding your own versions of food to the database, it is messing people up badly, especially new people that may not know that the info is wrong.

I have corrected so many that it is hard to even put a number on it. When I see wrong info put in for a food, I will be correcting it and adding a (corrected) to the end of the food name.

Uuuugh, I am so sick of it!

Ok rant is over now.

I have had to do that daily! It drives me crazy!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    The 'edits' only show to yourself...
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's really frustrating--I never know whether my totals are accurate or not. I mean I could be going over by 100's of cals and unless my food came with a nutrition label, I'd have no idea...

Maybe someone could go through the database and delete foods that cause more harm than good ('sauteed chicken'--really? sauteed how? in what? how much? etc). it would make the website WAY easier to navigate and much more useful to those of us who are trying to do a good and accurate job of monitoring.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    DB definatly needs a good cleaning. Is there a way to sort by # of confirmations or whether it was add by an MFP member?

I've asked for this.... No response from the developers :(
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes I confirm good ones as well, but the problem is also that there are confirmation on even the wrong ones, LOL like the cheaters all look for that one that is wrong on purpose or something. I found one today with 11 confirmations and the info was dead wrong.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Where's the LIKE button?

:D

facebook_like_button_big.jpg
  • darwintheboxer
    Options
    I don't seem to run into this problem very often. But don't get so angry. Some are mistakes and some probably were correct when they were first entered. The nutrition labeling on packaged foods does change from time to time, new recipes, changes in serving sizes, etc.. You will just have to verify everything the first time. After that you should be good to go.
  • person99
    Options
    I totally agree, it is frustrating. Why can't they just enter it right?