Your Fav Chicken Recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I always cook the meat from frozen. It's such a waste of time to defrost first and then to slow cook it.

I only cook on low and I'm away from home anways for 10 hours during the day anyways so cooking it a little longer is fine.
    [/quote]

I put frozen meat in the crock pot all the time and have done so for years. It cooks just fine and we have never had any problems with it at all. Such a TIME SAVER!
  • nikijohnson8
    nikijohnson8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really love salsa chicken. You can bake a whole breast or dice into cubes and fry them (I prefer the latter and I fry without any oils). Once the chicken is done, I load on 1/2 cup of salsa (I like old el paso thick and chunky mild) and sprinkle with a bit of shredded cheese. Cover and let the cheese melt and voila! Really tasty and not very high in calories. With the salsa and cheese that I use the calories are usually about 240.
  • tigergreeneyz
    tigergreeneyz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken dish about 5 times a week. These are our family favorites (the calorie content is relatively low depending upon accessories):

1) Lemon Pepper Chicken - cut a breast in half and sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning over both sides. Bake for 30 mins on 400.

2) Oven Fried Chicken - cut a breast in four pieces. In a ziploc bag, add 1/4 c flour, garlic powder and paprika. Toss chicken in flour mixture. Place chicken on a greased, tin foil covered cookie sheet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Put a small pat of light butter on each piece of chicken. Bake in oven for 45 minutes on 400.

3) Honey Fried Chicken - Butterfly chicken breast. Salt and pepper each side. Coat each side with dijon mustard. Bake for 30 minutes on 400. Drizzle honey over cooked chicken.

4) Marinated Chicken - marinate in either teriyaki seasoning, steakhouse marinade, or italian dressing.

5) BBQ Chicken - boil chicken for 30 minutes. Coat with BBQ sauce (I always use KC Masterpiece.) Bake for 30 minutes on 400.

That's all I can think of so far. You can always do chicken soft tacos, grilled chicken, etc. Hope this helps.
  • lexis0911
    Options
    alot of great ideas!! having chicken tonight and may try one!!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • danicajt
    Options
    :smile: bump! sounds delish =P thanks for sharing this!
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think I found this recipe on here. It's spinach stuffed chicken breasts. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find what I printed out, and don't know the nutrition facts off the top of my head :ohwell:

Pound your chicken breast into an even depth (usually a half inch)
    Sprinkle both sides with your fav herbs (I chose italian herb combo)
    Microwave 1 bag of baby spinach (from those salad bags, I think they're 9oz) until wilted
    Mix with 1/2 cup of low fat or fat free sour cream (makes enough for 4 chicken breasts)
    Scoop 1/4 of mixture into each breast
    Wrap chicken and secure with toothpicks
    Bake for...35 minutes on 350 (I think...or however long it takes to bake chicken at 350. You'll know because the spinach will look a little browned if it's popping out)

I also wrapped each breast with a strip of center cut bacon which added just a little extra punch of flavor.

Ok, so I know this wasn't the perfect recant of the recipe, but it's worth a shot! You can't really mess it up too much.
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Chicken Cordon Bleu - it's really easy and fast to whip up. I usually make it with Italian Bread Crumbs instead of Shake and Bake.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=239871

Ingredients
    4 - 4 oz B/S chicken breasts
    4 wedges laughing cow cheese (any flavor)
    4 servings extra lean ham (maybe Deli Select)
    1/2 package shake N bake

Directions

Pound each to about 1/4 inch thickness.
    Spread one wedge of cheese on top of each breast
    (last night I used the garlic & herb). Then put on 2
    to 3 slices ham. Roll up the chicken and secure with
    toothpicks. Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with
    Shake N Bake. Bake at 400 for about 35 to 40 minutes.

5 points

Number of Servings: 4

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DEBBSMITH_08.

Number of Servings: 4

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 217.3
    Total Fat: 5.2 g
    Cholesterol: 80.8 mg
    Sodium: 1,232.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 7.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 32.0 g
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chelsea_carter22
    chelsea_carter22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Foreman Grill FTW. I grill up a big breast on one of those and then do whatever I want with it. Dip it in a little BBQ sauce, add it to homemade mac & cheese, etc...
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Put 1 quart water in gallon size baggie add 6TBS. salt , 6Tbs. sugar when dissolved add 4 chichen breast . Seal zip lock place in a container incase you have a leak. Place in refridgerator for 1.5 hours. Remove chicken from the brine mix and rinse off the chicken breast and dry them off with a paper towel.
    Doing this will make your chicken moist and delicious you can season before cooking with any thing you like, but the brining of the chicken is what makes the meat so good!
  • nwspirit
    nwspirit Posts: 1
    Options
    ~Pineapple Chicken~

--enough chicken for 4
    --20 oz can of pineapple chunks
    --1/4 cup soy sauce (Tamari wheat free or La Choy are gluten free)
    --1 t red pepper flakes

The Directions.

put the chicken into the crockpot. I used frozen breast tenders. Drain the pineapple, and add the chunks with the soy sauce and the red pepper flakes. cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 3-4. The cooking time will depend on how thick your pieces of chicken are, and if they are frozen or not.

The Pineapple Chicken sounds divine. Last week someone gave me an idea for a Crockpot Black Bean Salsa Quinoa Chicken Dish. Several pieces of skinless boneless chicken in the crockpot with a large can of black beans and jar of favorite salsa. About 30-45 minutes before dinner, I added healthy quinoa to the crockpot. It was delicious, protein & fiber packed and lasted for days for lunch and/or dinner. To change it up a bit through the week, I add some LF cheese to the top of the dish during reheating with a mix of raw veggies (celery sticks, cucumbers, peppers) on the side for lunches. Thanks MFPs!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like to put chicken in the crockpot...frozen chicken breasts (I use a large bag with about 12 breasts)-over top pour 2 cans of campbells fiesta cheese soup, lg jar of your fave. salsa (I like great value corn and black bean), and a can of corn or green giant mexicorn-drained. Cook all day on low. Serve it over brown rice. Makes 12 servings at about 215 calories each-not including rice. I also like a bit of sour cream on the top.

I assumed you are not a 12 person family so what do you do with the additional servings? Shouldn't cooked chicken be eaten within 2 days I believe? Freezing cooked chicken means wouldn’t change that "rule". Thanks.

ALSO, my crockpot says (and from what I've read) you shouldnt put frozen meat in there, it basically zaps the strength and will take 2x as long but yours cooks fully?

I always cook the meat from frozen. It's such a waste of time to defrost first and then to slow cook it.

I only cook on low and I'm away from home anways for 10 hours during the day anyways so cooking it a little longer is fine.

They actually say to sear your meat before placing it in a crock pot that you plan on cooking on low, because it sits too long at a low temperature and bacteria can be an issue.. I always sear my roasts when cooking on low.. any other meats I cook on high heat

I also always cook onlow from frozen. Never had a problem. I like it better that way too becaue as it thaws the natural juices keeps it mosit instead of adding water. a side note, I grew up on a farm and ate ALL my meat (Chicken, turkey and pork included with beef) a bit pink in the middle.. I eat my beef bloody... NEVER gotten sick from any of it.

As for the person who asked aobut freezing the chicken, We do that all the time, make extras of everything and thow it in the freezer for sometimes months on end in containers, take it out and eat it. Never gotten sick from it. I could just be imune :)
    Hope this helps. ~Jessica
  • nala1965
    nala1965 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like to season the breast with salt/pepper/garlic powder/red pepper flakes, then lay it on top of a huge mountain of spinach, drizzle with balsamic and a tiny bit of EVOO, and bake it for about 20 minutes or until done (based on thickness of breast, etc.). I do this with fish also.
  • AlisonMacKay
    AlisonMacKay Posts: 112
    Options
    bump for later...love the chicken cordon blu with laughing cow.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Pounding to a uniform thickness will make it cook more evenly. I hate when the bottom of the breast is all dried out while the top is still pink! I prefer to grill. Lots of commercially available rubs on the market.

I do crockpot 6 pounds of chicken breasts a month in one can of chicken broth, one can of RF cream of chicken soup. Shred after cooking and divide into single serving portions. Make's it easy to defrost before going to work or for dinner to make sammies, salads, burritos (On LC tortillas!)

HTH!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    good thread!