stop going to the gym?

Options
i keep having the same idea of quitting the gym to save money.. i CAN afford it, but it seems like i just love having money

im running out of motivation.. help?

Replies

• sleight119
    Options
    I love the gym I got to curves and we all laugh and have a lot of fun like here it keeps me moving to my goals I stoped going in aug and put on 20 lbs but I am back to it now and feeling good
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Do you have a plan for working out at home? Maybe you can try some home routines, and if they're working out, go ahead and cancel the gym. Plenty of people do all their exercise at home and outdoors.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    OK everyone's different, but I actually LOVE going to the gym - I just wish I could find more times during the week when I could go! Money's tight for everyone these days, but for me, I certainly feel I'm getting value from my monthly sub.

But, that is certainly not how everyone will feel. If you can get enough motivation and exercise without being a gym member,then that's something to consider.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the gym is pretty affordable compared to other things you would spend the money on. One months gym membership would probably only buy you a pant leg of a nice pair of jeans. What are you going to do with a pant leg? And think about it this way. Anything else you spend your money on, you're going to want to look good while doing it, right? The gym will help you do that.
  • Hillbox
    Options
    Hi,

How much money are you actually gonna save per Month? I personally would not cancel my membership... even though I have been running/walking/jogging and Riding and have not gone to the gym in a few months. I like knowing that I can go Whenever I want. Keep the membership....
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is an energy at the gym that makes it easier for me to work out with an intensity that I have a hard time doing at home. I need the gym. It is being around others working out that helps keep me going. Compared to some other things that I spend my money on, it is worth every penny.

But also you might be paying for things at your current gym that you are not using. I had a family membership at the Y, but my family was not going. I looked around and found a gym without the pools, the basketball and racket ball courts that was much cheaper. I downsized. Maybe look at other options.
  • RVLMonavie
    Options
    I say don't. The extra money you have ends up on lunch dates and bigger cothing, I should know I stoped dieting all together after closing my Hebalife Nutrition Club on April. Now I put on over 20 lbs its not easy to go back on your old routine. Do not stop just go or find another gym maybe you are just bore of the routine make it fun againg-God Bless
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym. I live in a tiny town and the nearest gym is a 30 minute drive away. So, I have to do it all at home. I use resistance bands and yoga ball, and walk. The nice thing about working out at home is sometimes the whole family gets involved. The bad thing: Sometimes the whole family gets involved! But, I wouldn't change it for the world.
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    Honestly, the gym is pretty affordable compared to other things you would spend the money on. One months gym membership would probably only buy you a pant leg of a nice pair of jeans. What are you going to do with a pant leg? And think about it this way. Anything else you spend your money on, you're going to want to look good while doing it, right? The gym will help you do that.
    Very well said and he is right one pant leg isn't going to do much :) I love the gym, I can't go because their is no one to watch our son, and hubby works 2nd shift so..Im stuck home. I done much better at the gym then I do at home. When Im home I always find something else to do then work out...Good luck tho
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other posts - if you were not spending it on the gym - what would you spend it on?? It is an excellent investment...all the money you spend there pays for itself in so many other ways....

I also agree with feeding off the energy in the gym - my workouts at the gym give me so much more motivation when you know everyone is there doing the same thing you are and working really hard!!

Does you gym offer classes? I am a Y member and I have tried all classes (well except spin, havent worked up to that yet)..I find variety is the key to staying motivated. I go to a diff class mon-fri and then hit the gym for cardio and weigth training on the weekend when I have more time...
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Second that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to exercise at home? The only reason I could think of that anyone would want to cancel a gym membership, but has the financial means to continue having one, is a lack of a reason to go. Sure, you could pull a J.G. Wentworth and say, "It's my money and I need it now," but for what? It just seems like you may be losing the motivation to work out. Try something new at the gym that might rekindle the interest in going. It's up to you, though.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite of you! I have a gym membership ($77 a month) yet never go! I wish I could go before or after work, but I am so rushed. It is hard to go to the gym with kids, when you don't pick them up from latchkey until 6:00, then get home, dinner, homework, and baths and before you know it - bedtime. I can't justify taking over an hour out of their time to go to the gym. So I basically just use the membership for my daughters ballet, tap as well as we swim there. So I've been working out at home. I think I will start going on he weekends Saturday anyway (they don't offer child care on Sunday)>

if you can afford it, and you like going, then keep it. I loved going to the gym when my daughter was smaller. She loved being with the other kids and I had my workout friends to have fun with. I really miss that. You will miss your friends there too.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    I would never stop going to the gym :noway: . I work out at home with videos and weights too, but I cherish my gym time, not only for the workout but it's my head clearing and relaxation time, as crazy as that sounds! And I figure I'd be spending that money on something probably worse or more unnecessary if I had it. Do what works for you though :tongue: . As long as you're getting in some exercise I don't really think it matters how or where you do it!
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually had a to quit a Gym because they did not have a pool and the only equipment I could use with my Back problems was the Treadmill. Now that I finally decided to kick myself in Gear and be serious about Weight loss, I started going to another Gym that has a pool and a lot of other classes all included if you can use those. I am not going home to change, I go right after work on my way home for 30 min every other day, plus started Water aerobics about 2 weeks ago, which the doctor suggested to me. I am spending less per week that I would have to pay for one Lunch at a Fast Food Place and bring my own food for B Fast and Lunch every day. I also am one of those people who needs to do chores before taking care of myself, and by the time I got everything clean I have to go to bed. ( we get up very early). Don't get me wrong, I own every Exercise Program there is, and even got a Wii for x-mas ( my husband calls it my own personal trainer :-) I have not used it once since x-mas.
    I need to get away from home to work out! If you can spare the Money stay!:bigsmile:
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Look for a Planet Fitness in your area!!!! $10 a month can't be beat!

Its no frills (no pool, no classes, etc.) but clean, judgement-free and has everything you'll need on your weight-loss journey.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. I never was one for the time, travel and expense so over about 7 years I have been building a home gym. You can do that if you're self motivated - but it's not necessarily cheaper. It took me 7 years to build what I have, but that also included 10,000 dollars into that, Lol(NOT ALL AT ONCE) but that's where MY money went. Not clothes and nails but gym stuff that benefits, motivates and keeps me feeling Okay. To each their own.