A glass of wine day?

Options
My husband is Ukrainian, but is more Americanized than his parents. Although he was born in Ukraine and came over when he was 15, he was still young enough to improve his accent and involve himself in American ways.

To get to the point, his parents drink a glass of wine everyday with their dinner. -- (My father-in-law will have cognac sometimes, lol) -- They claim wine is good for you, but only if you have one glass or less a day.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    yes. a glass of red wine per day can have benefits.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I have heard this as long as I have been alive...it has a lot of positive side effects.
  • mislove68
    Options
    Yes 1 glass of red wine has alot of benefits like for your heart. But I dont like red wine at all :(
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty well-documented that the alcohol and resveratrol in wine (especially red wines) are good for your heart, cholesterol levels, cancer and other disease prevention, etc...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Science has shown that 1 alcoholic drink per day is good for you. It doesn't even have to be wine anymore. I saw this on TV and everyone knows that TV knows everything.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I budget calories for red wine. It's no different than budgeting calories for any other treat, in my opinion. I live in the US but grew up in European culture and wine is a normal part of life for us.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think red wine CAN be good for you as long as you realize how many Cals. you are drinking:noway:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    If I have some calories left I will have a glass of Red Wine.:bigsmile:
    It opens up the arteries and veins.
    I also add some mineral water and then I have a bigger glass of Wine.:drinker:
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes please! Red wine is my favorite!! :love:
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Your body metabolizes alcohol in a different way than it does the other energy sources.
    ie. fat per gram is 9 calories...alcohol per gram is 7 calories while carbohydrates and protein are 4 calories per gram. So in other words you are working twice as hard to burn off fat or alcohol...

The health benefits are great for red wine..and I have a British boyfriend so he like yours has a glass of wine with dinner. In my opinion though...I just cant afford to work harder to lose the weight this early on...so I nixed my love of wine for water...

Just my thoughts...
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    one serving of alcohol a day is recommended, but only as long as you account for it in your daily calorie intake.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is very good for you. Lots of excellent benefits. I love red wine..and whenever I drink..that is normally what I drink..and of course I count it on my calories when I do.
  • imaclatchie
    Options
    Definite yes. 2 glasses, but no more.

Red wine specifically. There are known advantages to alcohol in general, but red wine also has resveratrol - good for longevity of life. Resveratrol can be purchased as a supplement. Often people will tell you that the supplements are not as good as getting it from the source.

Google / Wiki it, there's lots about it.
  • DimenaZhena
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! =)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine every other day and it hasn't caused weight gain and/or change in my performance. Just budget it in. Studies have shown people who drink a glass with dinner tend to eat slower, enjoy their food more, and eat less.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As an NP in a Women's Heart Clinic, I can tell you that 4 oz (that's about 1/2 of a regular wine glass) per day for a woman is heart healthy. Any more than this and it's no longer considered healthy. For men it's no more than 2 4oz servings.