Acid Reflux Restrictions - HELP

Options
Had a Endoscopy done today. I have not one, but two ulcers. One up by my esophagus and one just below my stomach. Soooo, this means a dietary adjustment. Not quite sure how to adjust and haven't been able to find a good resource for what I can eat. Lots of sites to tell me what I should avoid, but need some helpful suggestions for what I can or should eat. I realize this is not rocket science, but I am really struggling with this. Anyone have experience with this? Would really love some advice.

Replies

• catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OK, this sounds really strange and not everyone can tolerate vinegar straight up but...if you take 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar--(but not just any vinegar, it has to be organic, unpastureized, raw--Bragg's is one brand that I know of for sure) before each meal, it's supposed to neutralize the acid in your stomach with it's own acide.
    I have GERD and it has really helped me, but I don't have full blown ulcers so I would check with your doctor first (and hopefully you have a dr that's open to solutions other than prescription meds).
    The other thing that has helped me is Kefir (it has a ton of probiotics--even more than yogurt and it's easier to digest).
    Good luck!!
  • TahsiaFriedman
    Options
    Yeah, I would ask your doctor if taking probiotics would help. If he says yes, then make sure you find a form that includes all three probiotics, prebiotics, and enzymes. They work better together.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    Sorry i am of help to you but will be watching this thread with interest. I have severe acid reflux issues, for which i take a mountain of meds, and will be keen to hear of any suggestions that may help reduce the problem
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I too have GERD and have a hard time handling anything that has red tint to it.
    I try to only eat chicken, and some small portions of pasta.
    Pizza is a killer on the ol stomach , so if you want it make it at home so you can balance what goes on it
    juices are out too. OJ is the worse
    learn to eat slow, small portions so you dont aggravate the ulcer. I have three of them and even with prescript med they tend to still bother me
    get some acid reducer too and take it everyday.
    soda can bother it too , so watch how much of that you take in

i really learned by trial and error to find out what i could stomach and what i couldnt
  • toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should have given you something that listed all the foods you should no longer be eating. The only time following the diet is difficult is if all your favorite foods are on it, or if you are like me and what you eat does not matter. My diet was not changed by my doctor because even foods on the "safe" list cause me to have acid reflux symptoms.

Even if the doctor gave you a list of foods you should avoid, keep in mind that foods not on the list can aggravate your acid reflux and foods on the list may be perfectly fine for you to consume because they don't bother you. Each person is different. The most common things to avoid are spicy foods, tomato based foods, acidic foods like citrus fruits, etc.

Hope this helps.