Protein shakes...two part question

Options
I am going to start making thse... well more like smoothies with fruit and stuff, does anyone have any tried and true good tasting healthy recipes to make ...

secondly can I drink these instead of eating breakfast , I am not a big breakfast eating so this would be a perfect solution to not eating or the lack of time to eat in the morning

Thanks everyone

Replies

• james3302
    Options
    Yes you can have then for breakfast. I have found Yoplait has Smoothies that can be found in the frozen section. It's basically a bag of frozen cut up fruit and yogurt squares. Add milk and some protein powder then your done. One bag makes two smoothies.
  • TeeTee11
    Options
    i also have a question about protein shakes? I dont want to drink too much of these and bulk up or get fat...but I'm about to start p90x and I am only consuming 12-1300 cals/day, so I think protein shakes would benefit me. What type should I drink? I dont want to may the high $$$ for beachbody brands shakeology...
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @teetee - One you can't have too much protein (as long as you're under your daily caloric expenditure). Two, more protein doesn't mean you'll bulk up, you have to do weight training for that and if you're a female, it is VERY difficult to bulk up. Women don't have the testosterone and other hormones in the same quantity that men do to "bulk". And you're very right, the beachbody stuff is over priced. Try to stick with ones that are lower in carbs. Personally I go with Optimum Nutrition, but there are PLENTY of others out there.
  • TahsiaFriedman
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great meal replacement as long as you add to it. My favorite is vanilla protein powder (20g of vegan protein), fiber powder, almond milk, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and a bit of spinach. YUM! You can add anything you want to a smoothie to bulk up the calories. I have 2 a day!!! They're really good after a workout, too. Play around with ingredients to see what you like.
  • pmiller1723
    pmiller1723 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery a few months ago so I have drank tons of protien shakes and tried many different products and combos. Complete Nution has Smart Smoothies the Vanilla Bean is really good I usually mix with skim milk. It low fat and a 120 cals a scoops with 20g of protien...can't even taste the whey. Another Great product is Evolution by a company called Intex...my fav is the cookies and cream it has 160 cals per scoop and 34g of protien.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey from GNC is good. GNC often has half off sales. We are trying the double chocolate flavor now and while I can't stand it with water it's pretty good with milk or even as a smoothie.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    when you buy your protein powder look for an isolete protein. Less junk in it, the protein is brought down to it's purest form so it is easier to digest thus you will absorb more of it.

I used to own a shake shop. You can mix water, juice or milk with your protein powder. Start with your liquid!! easier to mix, I used to pour liquid, then frozen fruit, then frozen yogurt (I recommend using no fat greek yogurt, very high in protein-I buy large tubs and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Add protein powder last.

The list goes on and on for recipes, experiment with your favorite juice and fruit combos.

banana, pineapple, peaches, blueberry with oj was one of the most popular.

So was strawberry, banana and peanut butter in milk!

I usually cut bananas in slices lengthways and freeze on a cookie sheet. If you buy canned pineapple you can put these on a cookie sheet and freeze as well. Then just store in plastic container in freezer.

Good luck!

Shakes are a GREAT recovery drink after a workout too!