how often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Hi! i was just wondering how often you weigh yourself? i weigh myself every day in the morning and sometimes my weight flactuates up and down..is that normal?

Replies

• UnpredictablyPretty21
    Options
    I do the same thing lol.... Its probably silly but i like to know where I am at lol :D
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    hiya

i weigh every week - but i attend curves and the weigh me every month with good scales as well.

i used to weigh myself every day and i found it more off putting than anything cos it was up and down all the time

x
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I weigh every morning too! They say your weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds a day - that's perfectly normal, although it can sometimes be a bit demoralising & frustrating. For this reason, the 'experts' recommend weekly weigh-ins. But I'm, keeping it daily, thank you very much! :laugh:

Sue :smile: x
  • LornaW
    LornaW Posts: 27
    Options
    once a week at the same time with the same clothes...your weight changes every day due to water and what you have eaten the day before. It can be very demotivating if you weigh every day, try not to...good luck :smile:
  • kgarza810
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week.I consider that my official weigh ins which I record on the site. but sometimes I cheat. :) its hard to not weigh yourself when you know you are working hard and excited to see results.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, but only check in every 4 weeks. I find to do it too often can be really demoralising plus you get a little obsessive.

Once a week is more accurate.

LouiseXXX
  • melrae675
    melrae675 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think anymore than a weekly weigh in with really mess you up emotionally. I HATE the scale and all it involves. We picked Monday morning...Every Monday morning when we (my husband and I wake) and before we eat or drink. I have only gained once so far (after a all you can eat sushi/ice cream incident for Valentines) so it's nice to start the work week on a positive note. Good Luck, Melanie
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Once a week in the morning find it more motivating to measure than weigh. Ive lost inches but not so much on scales!
  • mmathew001
    Options
    Weighning everyday is good for one reason.

I have observed that doing the same running everyday, I loose dispropotionate amount of water by sweating.
    A sudden dip in weight is a good indication that I am running out of water and need to fill up.

Most of the weight balances(analog) have markers per kilo. As per the experts, its not healthy to drop more
    than 2 lbs per week. So it will take a week for the needle to move in your favour if you are doing things at
    the acceptable pace.
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    Working as an administrator for a Weight Management clinic makes it really hard for me to not want to weigh myself everyday, but I went through a phase of doing that and I found it really unhelpful. I found that, although I knew the science behind why we weight differently and weight can fluctuate, I just got really down about the different measurements each day and I didn't really know where I was weight loss-wise. So, I now weight every Friday morning before the clinic starts using their fancy scales. (I went for Friday as it gives me chance to sort myself out post-weekends. Weekends are soooo my weak point when it comes to eating healthily and exercising, so weighing on a Monday used to really upset me cos I'd always not do very well).
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself almost evryday, it helps me keep on track plus they say u r suppose to weigh urself at the same time of day everytime u weighin cuz it is more reliable plus i try to wear the same kind of cloths to help it also (shorts and a sportsbra)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is a bit obsessive, and as your body weight fluctuates, it can be demoralising. I have a weigh in once a week, and so far the trend has been down every time... previously I used to check my weight more often, and one week I noticed a 2lb increase and it was 'the end of the world' - all this focus on food and exercise, and I have gained weight??? Sure enough though, a week later I was 4lbs down, so it was a blip - resist the urge to get on the scales, stick to your plan and weigh-in no more than weekly, it is very encouraging that way...

Best regards, David
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, David. I actually weigh in once every two weeks as I find to see a greater loss each time gives a huge motivation boost and also I feel that with two weeks between each weigh in, it gives you a better picture as to how the changes you're making to diet and excersize will work out for you long term. If, like me, you have a lot of pounds to shift, remembering that it's a looong term thing is pretty key in keeping up your motivation levels and willpower. It can't happen overnight - so why pile on the pressure by weighing in too regularly?!

It does take some serious willpower though, not to get on them scales when you're feeling good!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Every day, but trying to stop that. As other posters said, its demotivating. From now on Saturday morning weigh in it is!:happy:
  • jilltupperaz
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday as well. i do it in the morning and even at night sometimes. It is amazing how much my weight changes during the day
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Weekly on Sundays...loss very consistant!
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Friday mornings officially. This means that once I weigh in on that Friday, I log it into MFP. During the week I weigh in whenever I feel like it, usually only to see how much more I weigh after dinner or a workout. It's interesting! I know these aren't my real weights so it doesn't demotivate me.
  • lainglesita
    lainglesita Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 3 times a day. I must confess that once I start dieting, I am incapable of weighing myself once a week! LOL
  • kcphilly
    Options
    Unofficially I do it every morning when I wake up. But "officially" for logging it onto here it's once a week on Wednesdays.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before getting in the shower. If anything, I find it MORE motivating because even if it's a small difference, I know it's changing. I record my weights here weekly. Another reason I check my weight daily is to notice when things are working and when they are not. I wouldn't want to go a whole week (or more) without noticing that I'm actually gaining weight as opposed to losing it. If I notice a bigger loss, I can go back into my food/exercise diary and see what I was doing to produce it!