Exercise calories

Options
I have 2 questions. One: I just did a 45 minute class that used weights, abs, squats, pushups. How do I log those calories?

Second question....am I really supposed to eat back my exercise calories? I am kinda discouraged this week. I didnt lose weight, yet I have gone to the gym every day and have not gone over on my calories. What am I doing wrong? Could it be I am not drinking all my water? Any advice would be great!

Replies

• tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is VERY important!! Be sure you're drinking 8 - 10 glasses daily. It really does help cleanse the body, not to mention the skin benefits!!!

I've hit a plateau myself, so I cant give you a valid answer on the rest. I've heard that you should at least hit your NET calories for the day, but I struggle to eat that much, both physically and mentally!!!
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    are you not going over your original calories or the new calorie total once you exercise....you are supposed to eat the majority of your exercise calories. It truly has changed the way I am losing by doing this....
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat daily (this is without exercise calories added in), because if it is below 1200 then your body is not getting enough calories and has slowed down to accommodate for the low calorie intake. You should try to get into the habit of eating your exercise calories, because your body needs them.
  • kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how to count that too. I do a 90 minute bootcamp 2x a week that involves cardio, push ups, squats, weights, just about a full body workout. I just counted as 90 mins of aerobic activity, but don't know if that's right or not. Anyone have any ideas? And, I do not use my extra workout calories when I earn them. Did you do that this week?
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    You could log it under calisthenics. As for eating your exercise calories, it depends on who you ask. I normally don't eat all or any of my exercise calories. Maybe increase your cardio too while you exercise? I know that's what helps me lose weight, I try to do a minimum 30 minutes of cardio and 10-30 of strength training...but that's what works for me. I am also a huge believer in drinking 8 glasses of water, I think that helps out so much.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    More water is always better. You cant have too much if you dont chug it all at once!~! I have read many places that its best to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day. For me, I try to drink 80ounces a day (im 162) I unsually go over that but thats the least I drink. Fat molecules need water molecules to chemiclly break down so your body can get rid of them. Plus drinking a glass or two of water 20 min before you eat helps you feel fuller faster. (Which is a huge help for me cuz I dont know how to stop eating if its DELICIOUS and on my plate, even if I am FULL!)

One week is not a big deal. Your getting healthier and you cant expect to loose ALL the time. I have heard mixed feelings on eating your workout calories back. I try to eat mine, but sometimes if I work out too much, I cant eat them all, and I am ok with that. Bottom line if you are hungry, you should eat. If your not hungry, then dont. Simple!~! You didnt gain all your weight in a week, so dont expect to loose it all too fast!~!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me, too. Just stick with it for another week before you change anything. If you aren't cheating or miscounting the calories, the results will eventually appear on the scale. Sometimes you get a bad weigh in - my weight can go up and down a pound or so depending on the day. You might try a heart monitor to help track calories in your class.
  • sharonmac
    Options
    I really need to start drinking more water think. I dont normally go over my calories. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am so bummed
  • killerdolphin
    Options
    log it as 45 minutes of "circuit"
  • Haleynb818
    Options
    Be patient!! I felt the same way, and I'm down 11 pounds in 1 month. A few weeks, I weighed in, and the scale did not budge! I was so discouraged!! I was told that when you start to work out, it takes a while for your body to adjust! Just give it time! Be patient, and keep drinking water! Don't get discouraged to easily! Loosing weight is a long process if you do it the right way!
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's hard to track... some of the calorie estimates that this system gives you are ridiculous (i.e. way too high). You'd need to research each item separately I think in Google, work out an average from a few sources then piece them together (this of course will get easier once you've done the legwork once.)

Counting the exercise calories should be so you can make sure you're not starving your body on a consistent basis. However I don't approve of it being used like a mallet so you automatically eat more just because the system says so.

If you went *every* day, and stayed within calories, I would suggest trying to eat more. I know it sometimes feels counterproductive, but your body will hold on to fat if it thinks you're going into a famine. It's genetics since the time of our creation and we can't argue with that!
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. If you just started exercising your muscles are probably actually holding on to water to help rebuild. Generally, tons of water helps, but remember that it will temporarily add weight (mine fluctuates up to 3 lbs a day) so don't let that frustrate you. Weigh yourself at the same time and same conditions everyday if you want to get a better idea of your weight. As far as eating exercise calories back, I eat most of mine when I am hungry and leave a little cushion in there in case I didn't log accurately during the day.
  • sharonmac
    Options
    I am just so bummed this week. Could I be gaining muscle? As it is now I can have 1490 calories a day before exercise. I have it set to lose 1 pound a week. I am thinking maybe I should change it to lose 2 pounds a week. Yet when I do that I feel as though it isnt giving me enough calories and I constantly feel hungry.
  • Haleynb818
    Options
    You know what I do to keep track of my calories..
    I wear a pedometer! Most pedometers track steps, make sure you get one that also tracks calories and distance if you wish. I mostly power walk , Zumba, or jog to burn my calories. It works fantastic for me. I also set a timer, so I know exactly how long I have exercised!
  • sharonmac
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice!!!! I really love the support on this site <3