GAINED 5LBS IN 5 DAYS!?!?!?!?!! :-(

Options
Ok, I need some help here because I am getting very discouraged. Granted I have only been doing this for a week here is what I have going on. LAST Friday I weighed when I got home from traveling hadn't had anything short of a smoothie and I weighed 163.4lbs I say to myself "this is the last day I am abusing my body, I am going to use my body bug eat right weight, measure and keep us with my calories on my apex system(which is simular to this except its $$)" So guys, I get on the scale this morning and I have put on 5 DARN POUNDS!!! WHY I ASK WHY? I calm myself down and start to go through my calories burned vs calories consumed (I am very VERY honest with myself, eventhough I ate a slice of pizza lastnight I STILL accounted for it). Despite all of these facts and that I have even over calculated on food intake and undercalculated on calories burned by 1000 calories EACH I STILL SHOW I should have at LEAST LOST 1 LB! I will lay out the math work here ok,

I have burned 14,228 calories this week since LAST Friday so from Friday-Thursday
I have consumed 11,500 calories this week since LAST Friday so from Friday-Thursday

This would equal a =2728 calorie deficit which is almost a pound LOST? so what gives?

The ONLY thing I can think of is the fact that my period is due in about 6 days and maybe this is water weight? I dont know how I can go from 163.4-168.0 in 5 days time unless I have a EATEN 17500 calories MORE than what I have burned and I have burned 14000+ calories for the entire week and am in a 2700+ deficit not at 17500 calorie surplus so can someone PLEASE shed some light one this for me as it is discouraging. :sad:

Replies

• blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Could this be water weight gain as in pre-menstrual? Also how is your sodium intake? That can cause problems as well. Don't give up. Your not the only one having this issue, ask me how I know?
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's also your first week. It may take your body some time to adjust and realize that it's not starving.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Seeing your diary is really paramount in making specific recommendations.

Have your workouts been particularly strenuous? This will cause your muscles retain water to repair. As prev poster said, sodium and TOM can be culprits as well.

Have you been eating enough? It sounds like you aren't eating you exercise cals which is really bad for your body and will cause you to gain anytime you eat more than your "low" end of calories. Make sure your NET number is within 100 calories of your GOAL number (on your home page in the DAILY SUMMARY)
  • KMR0522
    Options
    I would say it is a combo.... keep going for AT LEAST ONE MONTH FAITHFULLY.... give your body time to realize it is not starving and you will give it everything it really does need. AND AT LEAST you know you are eating healthier.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did a home made version of the MFP thing weighing myself everyday. I found as I guy I had a weekly and monthly weight rhythm. Stay with the program and you will find it wiil work out.
  • sammyjj53
    sammyjj53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would say deffinitley pre-menstrual weight. I have jus gotten over mine and the same thing happens to me every month. I will put on 3-5lbs shortly before I get my period and the week of my period, each day I see a pound drop off and by the end of my cycle I'm back to where I started. So don't get too discouraged, I don't anymore. I know it's going to be gone when my period is gone.
  • unckat09
    Options
    I went through a very similar experience and had the EXACT same reaction. First off, relax. I'm not a medical expert or dietician, but I think there are factors to consider:

1. Did you weigh-in at the same time? I try to weigh-in at the same time (and wearing the same type of clothing) every week.
    2. Did you have a heavy workout last night? I tend to retain more water when my muscles ache. I have read a lot of articles about our bodies just simply weighing more after a good workout.
    3. Water retention, in general. Were you drinking plenty of fluids this week?
    4. TOM. It happens to us every month, and there is no real way to avoid it.

Finally, I hate the scale. I started taking my measurements and tracking inches lost. It is much more gratifying. I had to ask myself "would you rather be 15lbs lighter and look the exact same? Or, would your rather stay the exact same weight but lose 2 dress sizes, look more toned and FEEL good?"

You are doing great! Don't give up :-)
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of yall! I really appreciate it and I am going to go down the list and try to be as helpful as possible in answering some of your questions. Ok......

The Food Diary has been iron clad, I have measureing spoons, measureing cups, a digital scales all used and all charted in my diary in the bodybugg program......

The Exercise has been pretty strenous, I am SUPER MUSCULAR as is and I have just started getting into being more active and waking up earlier THIS WEEK. So instead of waking up at 9:30-10:30 everyday and doing light cleaning and no exercise I have switched to getting up anywhere from 6am-8am and walking my standard poodle for roughly 40-50 minutes THEN I clean the house run my business doing sells on line for a couple of hours THEN I go to the gym and do 45 mins of cardio sprints on the treadmill and then I follow Jillian Michaels workout plan which is basically comprised of quick plyometric types of moves such as mountain climbers then a 1 min sprint at an incline of 10% then back to doing hammer curls with 10lb dumbells, or cable tricep extensions then to a plank position held for 5 seconds then 20 push-ups then side plank with inside leg lifts 10 each leg on each side etc etc so you see what kind of workout I have started doing.

TOM-this is always a little slice of hell on earth for most women, what discourages me with it is that even IF the main contributer is the fluid retention for my cycle if I only put on 5lbs then that means I havent even so much as lost a pound or if I have put on 7 lbs 6 days before my cycle then I have lost 2lbs so it is really hard to tell because I don't know how much fluid weight I have put on? Does thas make sense? Again unless I was in a 17500 calorie SURPLUS I know realisticly I wouldnt have GAINED 5lbs so it's got to be a combination of what one of you guys said about my muscles possibly holding the fluid due to trying to conform to the next spike in activity level.

SALT- YES lol I do eat salt but it is SEA SALT which is heavier than the blood and does not make you retain water like a morton or table salt. Ive got a dear friend that owns a health food store that told me this.

I hope this information has helped........you guys have sure helped open my eyes to things like muscles retaining fluid I didn't know this was possible?
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    I forgot to add that YES I do feel bloated, my muscles do ache and I put on my 28" jeans lastnight and could barely button them :-( ugh. So I hear you about the measurement but evidenly by the way my jeans are fitting that isn't even budging..........
  • unckat09
    Options
    Awwww.... Well, it's only been a week. I love love Jillian Michaels 30DS. I'm starting Banish Fat Boost Metabolism this weekend. Hopefully, this will assist in jump starting my weight loss (again).

It is honestly taking my body awhile to respond to my new routine. We should both check back in next week! I have a feeling we will have great progress :drinker:
  • unckat09
    Options
    oh wait, the smiley was supposed to go at the end!! Ugggggghhh! It looks so out of place at the beginning. Sorry!!!
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    lol, maybe you are right, I will also not drink a glass of red wine through the course of this next week as well and see if that helps. It is so weird, but I am going to test something. After my workout today I can almost guarantee that I will have dropped 2-3lbs of water from (gross) sweating lol but again I agree with you next Friday may bring better results or in my case worse due to the tom due that day ugh oh well chin up! Thanks for the encouragement Unckat ;-)
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey don't despair, I have gained 4lbs in the past couple days, even though I've been great on my calories and even doing the 30 Day Shred plus at least 30 minutes of cardio every day this week. I was not due to weigh in yet, but I was curious because my wedding band felt tight, so I checked. I am pretty sure the gain is water retention from T.O.M as I'm due to start tomorrow. Next week when you weigh in I am sure will have lost that 5lbs plus more!!:smile:
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it! Your body may just be adjusting, and it's likely only some sort of water weight. When I decided to lose weight I weighed myself religiously, and found that it is kind of discouraging. My scale was always up and down! Instead I try to weight myself every other week, and rely more on measurements rather than the scale. Take some measurements and then this time next month take them again and compare them. Most importantly don't let this discourage you, stick with it and you'll see results :)
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    Tabby I hope you are right!! Let me give you an example of how crazy my body is with weight ok last friday 163.4 then lastnight in jeans after dinner 171!!!!! This morning 168, AFTER my workout 166!! And my T.O.M isn't due for another 4 or 5 days but I have heard women say they will start to pack on fluid sometimes even 6 or 7 days out and even 7 or 8lbs of fluid. I know it's getting close due to the signs of acne I am getting which I NEVER get unless it is fast approaching that time. So maybe you are right, I am hoping that when I weight I will at least be down to 160lbs my goal is 140-145 I am thin at that weight because I am so muscular but it seems like an act of congress trying to get it off.

OK......to those of you doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS do you allow yourself a cheat meal a week? I have not really been doing this but I find I am more likely to take a little nibble of something I want that is considered a cheat instead of cheating on a meal and I really need to stop doing that. I go to Hooters with my husband every now and then and I enjoy their hot wings and know they are roughly 1000 calories/order of 10 wings.......so if I am eating 1300 calories/day in a week that would be 8800 calories a week I am consuming and if I am burning 2500 calories/day x 7 days a week=17500 calories burned in a week. so subtract the 9800 calories for adding the 1000 calories from the wings and BING= 7700 calorie deficit/3500= a little over a 2lbs loss per week right?