Has anyone ever tried phentermine?

Options
Did you get any side effects or did it work for you?

I started on it yesterday and it's made me really ill so was just wondering, is it worth sticking with it for a week or just bin it. I've never felt so crappy :(

Replies

• Heevenlee
    Options
    I have tried it and it does great for a few days than I get really sick.I have tried it several times and does the same thing every time.
  • ultraviolencexo
    Options
    I think I might bin it, it can't be doing me any good if it's made me sick so quickly just wondered if it picked up after a week
  • toodleton
    Options
    I have taken so many times that I've lost count! I think it works great for the energy boost, helps with binge-eating because it really does take away your hunger and desire for food all together. I never experienced ill feelings though, mostly just dry-mouth, insomnia, nervousness and at times extreme moodiness....try taking 1/2 of a tablet instead of the whole thing to start out with and see how that affects you, I think it would be worth it to kick-start your metabolism and weight loss...
  • emichan21
    emichan21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and the only side effect for me was extreme "cotton mouth" and racing heart occasionally. Sounds like it's not the thing for you.....good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Bin it, it is poison! Its not licenced in the UK for good reason.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i've never been on it but bariactric medications, but I did read in one of my pharmacology books that it does take a few days to get used to the med and one of the most common side effects is stomach upset.

whatever you choose best wishes in your weight journey
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It is bad new! It is dangerous for your heart. It causes your heart to not only speed up, but also beat irregularly. It isn't a good idea. I took it once and it really messed with my heart. It is supposed to curb your appetite...but all it did was make me hyper. When I took it I couldn't sleep. Dieting naturally is the best way to go. You can't depend on a pill to help you along. There is no magic pill anyway.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just exercise and eat right. Much better for you and more rewarding!
  • bjenny1234
    Options
    I have a long time ago and it made me starve all day and then I was a raging *****! lol I did lose weight but it was not long after stopping it that the weight returned. You don't learn anything about healthy diet by using it, also it's really hard on your heart. The side effects are not pleasant, I would toss it out if I were you. Take care!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If it is making you sick, don't do it. Even if it works for others, YOUR body may not like it.
  • sinks
    sinks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I was on it. I lost 50lbs rapidly. As soon as I was off it, gained it all back plus some. I've been doing simple calorie counting and exercising for the past 10 months and lost 97lbs, so far. I wouldn't recommend phentermine. This is SO much better. Now, I feel confident that I understand what to eat and how to exercise, I will not be gaining it back. No short cuts this time.
  • bjenny1234
    Options
    I have taken so many times that I've lost count! I think it works great for the energy boost, helps with binge-eating because it really does take away your hunger and desire for food all together. I never experienced ill feelings though, mostly just dry-mouth, insomnia, nervousness and at times extreme moodiness....try taking 1/2 of a tablet instead of the whole thing to start out with and see how that affects you, I think it would be worth it to kick-start your metabolism and weight loss...

Wait a minute, dry mouth, insomnia, nervousness and extreme moodiness? That didn't cause ill feelings?
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    I did and DO NOT TAKE THIS CRAP!!!!! I have never had my heart freak out like that in all my life. I felt GREAT for the first week, and I lost 18 pounds in two weeks, but on the third week, I started having heart problems. My heart would skip beats, flutter and my chest hurt. I spoke to a doctor that is a freind of mine here in the town I live in, and he said DO NOT EVER take this crap. There are women that are on heart medication now for the rest of thier lives from taking this stuff. Also, anyone I know that has taken it has experienced the same effects I did, and gained all the weight back the second they stopped taking it. I felt HORRIBLE and it never went away, it only got worse.
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    Get rid of it and stop taking it! Please trust me on this, phentermine is the worst obesity drug out on the market right now and I know this because I do research for a big pharmaceutical company and I specifically do research on type 2 diabetes and obesity...

Phentermine is dangerous because it will get to your brain and it is partly an amphetemine (think cocaine...) you get the energy through that and you lose your appetite and lose the weight, but once you're off it, which the doctor will soon take you off it...you are GUARANTEED to gain MOST or even all of the weight back. (oh and not to mention that it can actually increase your risk of heart disease which is why they don't give it to people who are genetically at risk for it. (doesn't sound like it's all that "healthy" to me, even though you may be skinnier)

Just do it the hard way and eat right and exercise. It is the only way to really KEEP the weight off. good luck!
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    I did and DO NOT TAKE THIS CRAP!!!!! I have never had my heart freak out like that in all my life. I felt GREAT for the first week, and I lost 18 pounds in two weeks, but on the third week, I started having heart problems. My heart would skip beats, flutter and my chest hurt. I spoke to a doctor that is a freind of mine here in the town I live in, and he said DO NOT EVER take this crap. There are women that are on heart medication now for the rest of thier lives from taking this stuff. Also, anyone I know that has taken it has experienced the same effects I did, and gained all the weight back the second they stopped taking it. I felt HORRIBLE and it never went away, it only got worse.

Read my note above...
  • fitstarr
    Options
    Hi Hun!
    Your body is saying no, listen to it :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

Wait a minute, dry mouth, insomnia, nervousness and extreme moodiness? That didn't cause ill feelings?

i know we're talking about weight loss meds here, but many anti-depressants do the same thing. SSRIs are known to cause the dry mouth. And they can also cause all above symptoms you mentioned. Even when you try different medications there's usually an unwanted side effect, but other things balance out
  • wilmelenne
    Options

i know we're talking about weight loss meds here, but many anti-depressants do the same thing. SSRIs are known to cause the dry mouth. And they can also cause all above symptoms you mentioned. Even when you try different medications there's usually an unwanted side effect, but other things balance out

But when you talk about weight loss meds it doesn't really make people change their habits. Most people rely strictly on the pill that's making them lose weight and they do lose weight but when their blood is taken, the cholesterol is still high, their glucose is high and their lipids and triglycerides are high...(just because you are skinny doesn't mean that these things can't happen to you because you stil eat all the fatty foods you want.) I know a friend who took it and never really changed what she ate and yes she lost weight but she now is pre-diabetic at 26 and has high cholesterol
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    Get rid of it and stop taking it! Please trust me on this, phentermine is the worst obesity drug out on the market right now and I know this because I do research for a big pharmaceutical company and I specifically do research on type 2 diabetes and obesity...

Phentermine is dangerous because it will get to your brain and it is partly an amphetemine (think cocaine...) you get the energy through that and you lose your appetite and lose the weight, but once you're off it, which the doctor will soon take you off it...you are GUARANTEED to gain MOST or even all of the weight back. (oh and not to mention that it can actually increase your risk of heart disease which is why they don't give it to people who are genetically at risk for it. (doesn't sound like it's all that "healthy" to me, even though you may be skinnier)

Just do it the hard way and eat right and exercise. It is the only way to really KEEP the weight off. good luck!

This girl is 100% correct!! This is EXACTLY what my friend ( a doctor) told me. He said if you drug test, you will test positive for amphetamines!! I was like, what????!!!! That did it for me, and the fact that I felt like a sick crazy woman!! Thank you wilmelenne for saying this! Trust me people, LISTEN to her!!!!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

But when you talk about weight loss meds it doesn't really make people change their habits. Most people rely strictly on the pill that's making them lose weight and they do lose weight but when their blood is taken, the cholesterol is still high, their glucose is high and their lipids and triglycerides are high...(just because you are skinny doesn't mean that these things can't happen to you because you stil eat all the fatty foods you want.) I know a friend who took it and never really changed what she ate and yes she lost weight but she now is pre-diabetic at 26 and has high cholesterol
    I agree with everything you said completely. That is one of the largest problems. And it should be prescribed to those who have at the very least 100+ to lose. There needs to be follow up and regular seeing of a nutritionist while on the medication to learn how to eat properly so you don't gain it all back or choose foods with poor nutrient content