Need female advice on wearing Polar F6 HRM

Options
I just got a Polar F6 HRM. I was very excited to try it out today so I put it on according to the instructions and went for a walk/jog. However, it didn't seem to consistantly monitor my heart rate. I would start to run and it would stay at the same heart rate for a minute or so b/f changing. If I stopped runnig but kept walking it sometimes went to 0

Clearly I mustn't have had it on correctly. It was positioned directly below my bra. When I got home I played with it and think it may work properly underneath my bra ie. with the bottom of my bra directly on top of the transmitter (under my boobs :blushing: )

If you're a gal, can you explain to me how you wear this thing??
Also - how tight should it be?

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar F6 HRM. I was very excited to try it out today so I put it on according to the instructions and went for a walk/jog. However, it didn't seem to consistantly monitor my heart rate. I would start to run and it would stay at the same heart rate for a minute or so b/f changing. If I stopped runnig but kept walking it sometimes went to 0

Clearly I mustn't have had it on correctly. It was positioned directly below my bra. When I got home I played with it and think it may work properly underneath my bra ie. with the bottom of my bra directly on top of the transmitter (under my boobs :blushing: )

If you're a gal, can you explain to me how you wear this thing??
    Also - how tight should it be?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Make sure you dampen the pads...I have noticed it varies when those are completely dry. I think it just gives it better contact to the skin. I don't wear mine too tight...just so it doesn't slip down. But directly under my bra is where I wear mine also!

Good luck!
  • Mely
    Options
    transmitter was properly dampned. I'm pretty sure the problem was due to the position.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kristin. Make sure you put water on it before you put it on. I also put it right under my sports bra. I think that holds it up better. I noticed one day it was sliding down my chest and giving me all kinds of funky readings when I did not put it under my sports bra. It was also very distracting.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Really? Weird. I've had no problems with mine. Did you buy yours new or used?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi Mely,

Congrats on your new Polar! It should be worn under your boobs (under or beneath bra strap - either way - I prefer it below my bra, myself). It should be fairly tight - not cutting off circulation, but firmly in place. I generally wear mine about as tight as I wear my bra.

Did you wet the electrodes before you put on the chest strap? They need to be moist in order to transmit your HR accurately.
  • Mely
    Options
    when you gals say "under" your bra do you mean "underneath" i.e. "your bra is underneath your shirt" or do you mean "below", i.e "your pants are below your shirt."
  • SherryRH
    Options
    mine was new. I think the slippage was because I lost some inches in my chest/back area and it was too loose. :laugh: I found if I wear under my bra I have no problems. Plus I adjusted the strap.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    when you gals say "under" your bra do you mean "underneath" like your bra is underneath your shirt or do you mean "below", like your pants are below your shirt.

Under as in my bra is underneath my shirt. My bra actually covers the strap.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    I've worn it both ways...under the bra and below it
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I run my strap briefly under water, tighten the chest strap up nice and snug, and place it as high up as my boobs will allow. Mine is up under my sports bra, right above the sports bra bottom. I also push mine ever so slightly left, to where the heart is.

"Up under my bra" as in my bra sits on top of it, hiding the chest strap from sight.

If I noticed it doesn't appear to be reading right, I push the chest monitor closer to my chest with my hand. I'm sure I look like a weirdo in the gym, pushing on my chest below my boobs, but it seems to push the monitor back in place and get a better read. I usually only have the problem right at the beginning of my workout, when I'm not sweaty. Once I sweat, the thing suctions to me!! :laugh: :sick: :laugh:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    when you gals say "under" your bra do you mean "underneath" like your bra is underneath your shirt or do you mean "below", like your pants are below your shirt.

For me - under means inside the sports bra, and below/beneath means below the sports bra.

The positioning of the chest strap below/under should not make a difference unless you are wearing an underwire bra, maybe? I've never tried my HRM with an underwire bra (all my sports bras/swimsuits are nylon/spandex.) I imagine the metal in the bra could interfer with the HRM - but maybe not.
  • Mely
    Options
    thanks for the "under" explanation.

I guess everyone's shape is different. I think that when it's sitting below my bra, it's on top of that bone at the top of your ribs - can't remember it's proper name). I guess underneath my bra is closer to my heart.
  • Mely
    Options

For me - under means inside the sports bra, and below/beneath means below the sports bra.

The positioning of the chest strap below/under should not make a difference unless you are wearing an underwire bra, maybe? I've never tried my HRM with an underwire bra (all my sports bras/swimsuits are nylon/spandex.) I imagine the metal in the bra could interfer with the HRM - but maybe not.

Actually, I thought of that. My bra isn't underwire but it does up in the front center and the clasp is metal. The transmitter was positioned directly below it.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I wear mine directly below the bra strap and directly above the sport bra band, under the sport bra, with the Polar icon front and centered. I wear mine comfortably tight. You have to moistened the electrodes first otherwise you may not get a correct reading-it says that in the manual.

I haven't had any problems with my Polar that were not operator error.

Good Luck
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    thanks for the "under" explanation.

I guess everyone's shape is different. I think that when it's sitting below my bra, it's on top of that bone at the top of your ribs - can't remember it's proper name). I guess underneath my bra is closer to my heart.

Xyphoid process?
    LOL, always reminded me a of xylophone
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I wear mine under the sports bra (with the band of the sports bra over the chest strap), with it snug, and this way it seems to stay in one place better.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Under as in my bra is underneath my shirt. My bra actually covers the strap.

This is how I wear mine as well.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Actually, I thought of that. My bra isn't underwire but it does up in the front center and the clasp is metal. The transmitter was positioned directly below it.

I wear an underwire bra and have had no problems with my f6
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Mely, I wear mine directly underneath the bottom hem of my bra--with the bottom elastric of the bra strap sitting/covering the HRM. Also, use BUH-BUMP cream I got from Amazon instead of water--it's the same stuff they use in EKGS, etc. and is supposed to help keep readings more consistent. AND, make sure the Polor logo is facing up when you put it on. I read something on the Polar site that the logo should be facing up towards your head. Hope this helps! Keep up the good work!