HRM calories burned accuracy?

Options
Does anyone know how accurate HRM's are? I have a Polar RS100 and I'm not sure how accurate the calories burned is. I worked out for an hour on an elliptical and my HRM said i burned 700 calories but the elliptical said about 300. Which one should I believe? I can program both the elliptical and my HRM with my age, weight, and height, but which one would be more accurate?

Thanks

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I find HRM to be more accurate especially if you got the chest strap
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I always go by my HRM Polar FT4. usually is under what the machines say.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I would believe that HRM, I think you can easily burn 350+ cals in a half hour on an elliptical!!!! Sounds good to me!
  • beautymkt
    Options
    i want to know this as well. Still trying to decide on whether or not to buy an HRM thanks
  • denise980
    Options
    HRM are the most accurate because they are tailored to your body. The counter on the machines is an average because so many different people use the machines.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM with a chest strap I would trust that versus the machine. Yesterday my treadmill said I burned 304 and my HRM with the chest strap said 402 and I go with the HRM because it def. felt like I burned that much.
  • Erica9903
    Options
    Does anyone know how accurate HRM's are? I have a Polar RS100 and I'm not sure how accurate the calories burned is. I worked out for an hour on an elliptical and my HRM said i burned 700 calories but the elliptical said about 300. Which one should I believe? I can program both the elliptical and my HRM with my age, weight, and height, but which one would be more accurate?

Thanks

I burn about 330-360 in a half hour on the elliptical depending on how hard I'm pushing myself so I would say the HRM is correct!!
  • Ceria
    Ceria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Besides the bodymedia body bugg(like they wear on the biggest loser) the HRM is the most accurate account of your calorie burn. The machines are often not correct and the HRM (if you are wearing the chest strap) monitors your actual effort. I can burn 300 cal in 25 min on elliptical soooooo I think your monitor may be correct.
  • lulu701
    lulu701 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The HRM really SHOULD be more accurate, but 700 calories seems awfully high for one hour of working out on an elliptical machine. It's possible, yes, but you would have to be kind of a sizeable person and REALLY going for it during the entire hour. You might need to check your settings on your HRM. Here's some stats on what an average person burns per hour on an elliptical. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5475301_calories-burned-elliptical-machine.html
  • Jrod2006
    Jrod2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The HRM really SHOULD be more accurate, but 700 calories seems awfully high for one hour of working out on an elliptical machine. It's possible, yes, but you would have to be kind of a sizeable person and REALLY going for it during the entire hour. You might need to check your settings on your HRM. Here's some stats on what an average person burns per hour on an elliptical. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5475301_calories-burned-elliptical-machine.html

I would have to say that i was going at it the whole hour. I keep my pace at about 3 to 3.5 mph while reaching 4 mph from time to time to try and push my self, and yes I am "kind of a sizeable person".

Thanks for all the responses.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I burn 400 calories on the elliptical machine at the gym in 33 minutes according to the machine. When I log my exercise in on myfitnesspal it is exactly the same give or take a little. It all depends on your height and weight. My husband that is heavier than me can burn more calories and we do the same time. I think your HRM is accurate.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The HRM should be more accurate as it takes your height, weight, and age into consideration. The machine provides a generic estimate. As previously posted by another, the chest strap is the best option of accurately counting your calories burned. my HRM w/ chest strap has been my bestfriend through this journey.