fighting the fat and depression at the same time!

Options
:grumble: the more depressed i get the more i eat - and even if i dont eat tons - i gain! hate this cycle.
Last year i lost 30 lbs!! felt great! Ive gain 12 back and *&!#% - Im going to fight, fight fight it! ive been on myfitnesspal for about a month or so - pretty much keeping the same numbers... until this morning - up 2 lbs!
But - summer is around the corner and i'll be playing a lot of tennis - and i know that will help.
If anyone out there is going through this same thing and has some advise for me.... its welcomed!
thanks

Replies

• paigemang♥
    Options
    Stay motivated!!! Find something that you want or a photo you want to look like and make that a goal :happy:

We all fall off the wagon.....just got to get back on! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just remember the quote from Legally Blonde that's in my signature! It is soooooo true! Good luck to you! :bigsmile:
  • rmmattox34
    Options
    some times I feel down........and I gain 3 lose 1 gain 4 lose 2 I never seem to make any difference. I have a daughter that is 19 and really battleing the weight and the depression. She is in the hospital now ad I hope they can help her. I know what that is like, just hang in there and never give up because I know we can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i was in the same cycle last fall. You can do it, just keep the right attitude. I personally had to force myself to make the time to exercise and get myself used to not eating certain things. no soda, no bowls of cereal, no cheese popcorn. LOL. I snack when I want, but it's on protein bars, string cheese, fruit. When I finally made a little progress (like 4 lbs down) I realized things were kicking it. Don't give up; all of a sudden it'll shift. It's 4 months later and I'm still floundering at an 11 lb loss, but it's b/c I just wasn't focused around the holidays, and in January I let things slide too. It's ok, just keep yourself moving forward and little by little the weight WILL come off and that will help you get out of the depression too! (I tried 3 different antidepressants last year - and the best one I found was the gym!) LOL

GOOD LUCK!
  • oRoseo
    Options
    Be strong!! Exercising raises seretonin in the brain, which is what makes you HAPPY!! :D So it'll help you get happier AND healthier!!

good luck! :]
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    I've been dealing with chronic depression and anxiety all my life, im actually a bit of a nut lol. I have experienced an urge to eat when I'm having one of those really bad days. What has helped me a lot is finding something you absolutely love to do and strive to be the best at whatever it may be. In my case, i like mixed martial arts, it helps to bury myself in training and get better and better. Very good therapy for me
  • barberella
    Options
    Yes, I totally know how you feel. I have been extremely motivated and doing very well; especially this week. then I weighed myself confident I was going to see a decrease, and at the very least, no change. Yeah, right. 1.5 lb increase. I have given up sugar and carbs the entire week, and only missed one day of exercise. Yeah, maybe it's the water, maybe it's the muscle. Don't know. But it started the day off pretty bad. I'm really fighting the urge to give up. Not totally, but y'know? Just wanna eat crap I am not supposed to. I had absolutely no desire to work out nor drink any water. I left work early..I did finally get the urge to work out, but only for 20 minutes..

Despite feeling like crap, you gotta keep going and I know that. It's hard to get out of that funk when you feel so good about what you're doing. But I won't give up, and neither should you. So keep up the fight..
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I find that when I'm stressed...I do one of two things...I either exercise off the stress in a nice long run. Or I eat. I love exercise because after I'm done I feel better. Eating for the sake of filling a void...I just feel worse. Find something that makes you feel good, an exercise that makes you feel your best...and when life gets hard do that one thing. I've noticed that even stressing out about life (even if I'm eating good and exercising lots) keeps me from losing weight. Something in my body chemistry that holds onto the fat. I don't know...I'd love to have time to do more research on stress. But, know that you can overcome anything. Keep a positive attitude...even if it means having to write youself a note to stick on your mirror.

BTW, I love that Legally Blonde quote...super cute!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Having issues w/depression,anxiety and of course.... attempting to lose weight...

It's a challenge.

Was just prescribed a med & a referral to counseling. There's a few big issues in my life. Perhaps if I can manage an issue better I can manage the food better.