Splenda? Bad for you? NO calorie? Confused.

Options
2»

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I quit using Splenda and Crystal Light this past Sunday but I've also quit adding ALL sugars to my foods and shakes to rid myself of the taste for sweets.
    Fruit will be my only sugar treat.
    So far, so good. My taste buds are already adjusting and I'm tasting the natural sweetness in the foods I'm eating.

Nice!!!!

I quit all sugars too. I know I feel much better, and I don't crave carbs any more. I allow myself two whole fruits a day.

Good for you!! If more people would try this, they would be uber-surprised how it changes things.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:

Hey, Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    It definitely gets rid of the carb cravings which makes the whole weight loss thing so much easier. It's also surprising how quickly it happens, too.
  • kdipley
    Options
    Im diabetic and when I first got diagnosed I started using splenda because it had no carbs, however the longer I used it I started having severe migranes as well as my mom. When we stopped using the Splenda my migranes went away. I honestly think splenda is very bad for your body considering they started testing my mom for ms and when she stopped using splenda all of the symptoms dissapeared. I actually use stevia or honey to sweeten my coffee and tea now.
  • kasandraaa
    Options
    Im diabetic and when I first got diagnosed I started using splenda because it had no carbs, however the longer I used it I started having severe migranes as well as my mom. When we stopped using the Splenda my migranes went away. I honestly think splenda is very bad for your body considering they started testing my mom for ms and when she stopped using splenda all of the symptoms dissapeared. I actually use stevia or honey to sweeten my coffee and tea now.

Im pretty sure splenda does have carbs :(

& to all of you.. where do I buy that agave nectar or stevia?

I dont think I have ever seen it in stores....
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i use it in my coffee. i'm not concerned

i agree. everything is bad if u over-do it. i wouldnt go eating a pound a day or anything but i dont think a little bit here or there will kill you.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if it ain't real, limit your consumption or avoid it altogether. You're probably better off adding honey or pure cane brown sugar. It's a few calories, but they are more natural. Honey can be purchased raw (unprocessed) and pure cane brown sugar is the least refined of all sugars. I'll add that it takes a little getting used to when you switch sweeteners. But in a week you won't even notice anymore.
  • denise980
    Options
    The problem with "chemical" sweeteners is just that: the chemicals that are found in them. However, being a chemistry major in college, I learned a few things about this. The biggest thing is that it only affects you in a negative way if you have the sweetener in large quantities. In the studies that they do, they feed the rats substantial amounts of the product and then see what will happen. They don't give the rat a normal dosage and see what will happen. So essentially they are skewing their results to get the negative that they are looking for to scare people.

In actuality, it isn't as bad for you as articles say. Now, if you have a lot of let's say Splenda in one day (like cups instead of spoonfuls) then in the long run you will hurt yourself. But, just having a packet of Splenda in your coffee or tea won't hurt you.
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to all the fake sugar, it gives me serious headackes.