calories in white wines?

Options
i've googled the calories in various white wines, as well as looked them up on mfp, and there's so much conflicting info. i really like white wine, but have absolutely no preference as to what kind, so i feel like i should always be choosing whichever has the least calories. does anyone have any reliable/definite info regarding calories in wine?

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I can't see too much of a difference between various types of white wine. Personally, I would suggest having the wine you really enjoy, in moderation. The empty calories from booze can add up quickly....case in point...my body! Beer, wine and whisky lover here.

I would have what you enjoy but keep the intake on the lower side.
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    Found the following list of calories in common wines:

Wine (4 fl oz) Calories
    Beaujolais 95
    Bordeaux, red 95
    Burgundy, red 95
    Burgundy, white 90
    Cabernet Sauvignon 90
    Chablis 85
    Champagne, dry 105
    Champagne, pink 100
    Chardonnay 90
    Chianti 100
    Liebfraumilch 85
    Madeira 160
    Marsala 80
    Merlot 95
    Mosell 100
    Muscatel 160
    Port, ruby 185
    Port, white 170
    Reisling 90
    Rhone 95
    Rose 95
    Sangria 115
    Sauterne 115
    Sauvignon Blanc 80
    Tokay 165
    Zinfandel, red 90
    Zinfandel, white 80

Taken from: http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-wine.htm

Also, the USDA has a website that you can visit that gives calories for most everything (in it's natural state, I assume?)
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

The kcal column is the calories.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Most wines have an average of 100 cals....dry wine does have less, so i have switched to these..
  • danicajt
    Options
    bump! i'm a wine lover and really needed to see this! Thank you :)
  • orangegalt
    Options
    the calorie list you posted is way lower than the values given on the USDA site, which says 117-118 for 4 oz. of every white wine i checked... still wondering which is accurate? according to the USDA, the variation in calories is negligible, but i've read several other lists like the one you posted that lists some wines at 80-90 calories for 4 oz.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that calories in ANY alcohol are empty calories. They are easier to break down by our body than other food. Therefore when you drink and eat, your body will consume all the empty calories first. Once your body had enough calories (say most from the alcohol), it will store the good ones from the food as fat. That's why if you want to lose weight, need to be really careful about consuming alcohol.
  • orangegalt
    Options
    obviously. but i'm still gonna drink when i want to :)
    i'm just hoping to do so with as little damage as possible...
    and i'm not even trying to lose now--just maintaining, but scared to up my calories because i've gained weight when i tried it.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Wine is made from grapes so you are getting your fruit in... well, that is what I tell myself when enjoying my glass of Chateau St. Michelle Riesling with dinner ;)