Breastfeeding and dieting??

Options
I am breastfeeding still (my daughter is 3 months old) and I was wondering how that affects my total caloric intake. I don't want to decrease my milk supply, but I want to start eating better and decreasing my calorie intake too so I can start losing someweight. Anyone have any tips you can share?

Replies

• mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I was exclusively breastfeeding my son I had to consume atleast 2200 calories a day or my milk supply would be effected. Just make healthy choices when you get those calories.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

At her age, you're burning around 500 calories through nursing, assuming you're exclusively nursing. You need at least 1500-1800 calories per day, and if you're currently eating a lot more than that, you'll need to gradually step down your intake instead of just suddenly cutting your calories, because a sudden drop could impact your supply. You can either manually adjust your daily goal by adding 500 to whatever MFP suggested for you, or you can add it in your food diary or exercise diary every day. Whatever works best for you.
  • ahornig
    Options
    Thanks! This helps a lot :happy:
  • lpeerless82
    Options
    I used the goal calculator like normal, and then add in the breastfeeding calories under my food intake. Its 20cals per ounce, so about 500 a day if you're exclusively breastfeeding seems about right.
    I have lost 10lbs in 6wks, not too bad.