Loose vs. Lose

Options

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Are we not here to support each other to me that means not picking out stupid things that people do so what if they misspell something it is not school it is support to lose weight not to judge I have only been on here a couple weeks but see this a lot on here it makes me want to not have anything to do with the site I am sure someone will get mad at this but I do not care

*claps*
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/82188-lose-vs-loose?hl=Lose+vs+loose

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103760-lose-loose?hl=lose+loose

This has been posted many times. Unfortunately this is a problem that will never go away.
    Prepare to offend some people with this post.

I guessed that it had. Maybe we should make this a daily post to have some "continuing education". I hope not to offend . My only goal is education.(In good fun.)

This subject has already been done to the point of exhaustion, perhaps instead of "continuing education" we should do a search before starting another thread about the same subject.

Quite right and I made sure to do so! What I found funny is that when I searched "Loose".......5 million other incorrect usages popped up first. I apologize to those who have seen this repeatedly . Newbies will continue to post this as they find themselves in the same situation. We should enjoy ourselves by commenting on topics we find "fun" vs .putting ourselves in bad moods by focusing on the things that exhaust us.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Did I miss anything? I was washing my eyes.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    God Bless those with humor!!!!!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of humor just not a high tolerance for judging someone for something that is so petty if we wanted spelling lessons we would go back to school so all I am getting at is why judge for petty stuff or even bother to correct a battle that is not going to be why not focus on supporting each other in a positive way instead of a negative maybe make someone feel bad for spelling or using a word wrong everyone makes mistakes it happens to everyone being like this could run someone out of this site who really needs it like me
  • jram72
    jram72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am lossed. What are we talking about? ;)
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I find the grammar and spelling on this site to be quite a bit better than your average Craigslist ad.

I agree. i don't understand why everyone is so hung up over other people's mispellings anyway. you know what they mean, why call them out on it?
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options
    I have plenty of humor just not a high tolerance for judging someone for something that is so petty if we wanted spelling lessons we would go back to school so all I am getting at is why judge for petty stuff or even bother to correct a battle that is not going to be why not focus on supporting each other in a positive way instead of a negative maybe make someone feel bad for spelling or using a word wrong everyone makes mistakes it happens to everyone being like this could run someone out of this site who really needs it like me

amen! now where's that like button?
  • tammy200678
    Options
    That is what I am saying thank you It is petty there is so much more to focus on
  • tammy200678
    Options
    Thanks sorry if anyone got offended but this is a site for support not judgement:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    im jus hear two loose sum wieght whats your problem
  • Heather75
    Options
    It's just an observation. All message boards have poor spellers and people who don't understand contractions. It doesn't appear to discourage anyone from posting but when people notice, why can't they express it? I actually think that criticising someone for making an observation that many people have also noticed is more petty than making the observation in the first place.

I bet that if someone dusted off their PhD vocabulary and someone commented on how everyone needed to use a dictionary to read their posts, fewer people would rush to their defense.
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options
    I think we all agree that you are entitled to make observations and comment on them all you want. Aren't we too entitled to make the observation that criticizing other people's grammar is neither productive nor helpful? All it does is make people feel reluctant to post questions and responses in fear that their every word is being analyzed for spelling and grammatical correctness.
  • tammy200678
    Options
    All I am saying who gives a flying freak-in leap if there is a misspelled word I do not some of the petty stuff people point out they would be better off just to keep to themselves but once again I am not jugging just pointing out the obvious
  • lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's just an observation. All message boards have poor spellers and people who don't understand contractions. It doesn't appear to discourage anyone from posting but when people notice, why can't they express it? I actually think that criticising someone for making an observation that many people have also noticed is more petty than making the observation in the first place.

I bet that if someone dusted off their PhD vocabulary and someone commented on how everyone needed to use a dictionary to read their posts, fewer people would rush to their defense.

Thank you for saying this... When I brought this topic up a few weeks ago I was called a Nazi and a pompous *kitten*. I don't see why people get so offended if someone points out blatant misuses of words. Adults should be able to spell and use the English language properly otherwise we are doomed.
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options

Thank you for saying this... When I brought this topic up a few weeks ago I was called a Nazi and a pompous *kitten*. I don't see why people get so offended if someone points out blatant misuses of words. Adults should be able to spell and use the English language properly otherwise we are doomed.

wow. doomed? really? yeah, because spelling errors are one of the biggest travesties this world has ever seen.
  • Heather75
    Options
    I doubt that many people post questions in "Chit-chat, fun and games".

Of course you can make observations on the observation. My objection is because this was obviously a jocular post, not meant maliciously and the observations which followed were highly critical and completely without sensitivity to the OP. It's just a bit ironic to accuse someone of being petty whilst being petty.
  • lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

wow. doomed? really? yeah, because spelling errors are one of the biggest travesties this world has ever seen.

i guess ignorance is bliss!
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options
    I doubt that many people post questions in "Chit-chat, fun and games".

Of course you can make observations on the observation. My objection is because this was obviously a jocular post, not meant maliciously and the observations which followed were highly critical and completely without sensitivity to the OP. It's just a bit ironic to accuse someone of being petty whilst being petty.

who accused you of being petty? part of your response is aimed at my response and i don't recall calling you petty. my point is this... this site is here to help people lose weight. it's not a spelling tutor or english class. complaining that people don't spell lose correctly is not helping them lose weight. it's just mean and that's all I'm gonna say about it.
  • tammy200678
    Options
    ok u know what talk about being petty grow up all I was saying was support not to critize each other i was not critizing when i said any of this just stating how i feel like everyone else hope u enjoy all the wrong spelled words