Runners: Bruises on legs?

Options
Okay runners, I have a question for you. Does anyone else get bruises on their legs from running? Before you ask, no I'm not running into things! :D

I find when I run more, I constantly have bruises on my legs but if I stop, the bruises stop.

Replies

• chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have noticed bruises on my legs also. I am not sure how they got there, but I have been running over the last 6 months myself, and they DO seem more prevalent.........weird.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 1 1/2 mos ago, and noticed this as well--almost immediately! Very weird... only on my shins though, and I have no idea what it's from.
  • therring1970
    Options
    Could be shin splints.
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have no pain. Actually, the bruises themselves don't even hurt if I press on them. They're just there.
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    the lower part of the back of my calves feel really bruised but yet not bruise. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    One of the main causes of bruising seems to be a deficiency in certain nutrients, primarily vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, bioflavonoids, and zinc. Also, even though you're not running into things it's possible that the running can be putting minor stress on blood capillaries causing them to burst which leaks blood under the surface of your skin which presents itself as the discoloration seen as a bruise. It doesn't necessarily have to hurt.
  • devildog525
    Options
    The added stress of running increases youre blood pressure, your legs dont have as good circulation as the rest of your body from gravity and just the way everything is designed. The pressure just builds and builds and the weak spots rupture. The longer you run the better your circulation will get also the strength of your veins and capillaries will also increase as well as the strength of you vavles in the veins. Dont worry.
  • devildog525
    Options
    Trust me, Im a paramedic, I run a lot, and I minor in physical therapy
  • lbb_gasser
    Options
    This used to happen to me... not sure where the bruises are on your legs, but the bruises for me were caused by mini-muscle tears ( I used to do a lot of cross-country skiing type exercise & would get ugly bruises on calves). Make sure you are warming/stretching muscles before exercise, cooling down after... personally, I was really pushing myself and working myself too hard when I noticed this was happening, not sure what your situation is?