Butter or marg??

Options
What is your thought on this??

I've read that marg is like plastic or something like that really bad for you, but then butter is high in cals and other stuff.

Other spreads don't seem to have any taste so what do you use??

Replies

• ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i just stay away from it completely...but if i didnt have much of a choice i would stick with butter just in moderation
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have Brummel and Brown and I love it. More of a butter taste and not too many cals too!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance margarine, but try to keep it in moderation. If I can manage, I go without.

Edit: But then, I don't do dairy.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    use butter & use less
  • JoanCG
    JoanCG Posts: 22
    Options
    I use fat free Promise because of my cholesterol. I only use a tsp when I have wheat toast and it's not too bad.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance brand Buttery spread (http://www.smartbalance.com/), or something similar, as long as it has NO hydrogenated oils. All about reading labels
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    this is true, margarine is 99% plastic because of the hydrogenated oils. If you can find a margarine that doesn't have hydrogenated oils in it than go for that. Earth Balance is a good example.
    Personally i stick with butter, oil or spray
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I prefer real, unsalted butter or natural oils (olive/canola) - better taste. I just try to use less.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    Ya I'm of the though of having my butter just used less. I mean I like that taste of it. And if it's all I put on my toast why not.

Was just after general thoughts. Wish I could try to of the products here in Aus tho that some have mentioned.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I don't use very much at all, but I use butter instead of margarine.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use butter. Margarine tastes fake to me.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hey Aylilth!
    Firstly, try avocado instead of butter on savory sandwiches etc. Avocado is a BRILLIANT source of the RIGHT KIND of fats your body needs.
    I use butter. I am a strong believer that part of the problem in our society is that we eat too much "unnatural" foods such as margarine. I believe that part of the problem with us gaining weight is because our body uses fat cells to "hide" toxins in our body that it cannot expel, thus it creates more fat cells.
    I have switched to an organic meat, fruit and vegetable diet and am slowly making the move across with other products.
    Not only do they taste amazingly better, but I dont eat as much as there are more nutrients, leaving my body feeling satisfied faster.
    As long as you are having it in moderation - the "real thing" is better in my book!
    BTW - my problem with my weight is that I eat too much, eat to alleviate my stress and am lacking motivation for fitness.
    I am also in Australia with you :)
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Butter, sparingly.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    I eat butter. I like it more and I feel more comfortable with it as it's not as processed as margarine. But I don't eat a lot anymore like I used to (probably because I'm stuck eating sandwiches all the time :P), and I'm losing more weight than I did when I switched to margarine! I think that processed foods, even if they're lower in cal and fat, are waaaaaaay worse for you than the good 'ole natural stuff :)

1705046.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I use butter. ONE pat a day for my veggies.
    Also, 1 or 2 tsp of olive oil per day.

Real food in moderation is always better, IMO.
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    What is your thought on this??

I've read that marg is like plastic or something like that really bad for you, but then butter is high in cals and other stuff.

Other spreads don't seem to have any taste so what do you use??

nothing!!!
    Apparently when I was younger I used to eat butter with a teaspoon whilst mum was making a sandwich/toast etc and since I can remember I have never had any spread on anything
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    i just stay away from it completely...
    [...]

Yep,

I prefer the taste of raw bread and raw topping (cheese, sausage etc.).
    If I really need the taste of butter, maybe because I like to eat "brown bread" (I'm from Germany :wink:) with good butter...I'll eat it without anything else.

I'm here at MFP to become more aware of how much I can eat of the "sin-foods", through tracking it's fats and calories. :smile:
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Butter all the way...

Since this is a life long change for me I decided to eat a good variety off foods, including foods i like, and nothing that says low or non fat.
  • sweebeesmom
    Options
    I typically cook with olive oil if I need some fat in what I'm cooking, but I use butter on occasion, especially for baking. I think margarine is fine.. so long as it doesn't have trans-fat in it. I think that's what all the controversy was about. trans-fat versus saturated fat.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If I must use one it'll be butter.
    My oils for cooking are olive, coconut or hemp (for my raw stuff)
    I'm still looking for a mister for my oil, the cooking sprays disturbed me with the butane, propane etc for propellants, i'll stick to a dash of oil as opposed to any length of spritz