calories burned walking?

Options
I walk daily 30min +warmup and cool down at 4 mph. My treadmill states I burn 300 calories and under excercises in the database it says 185 calories burned. Which would you enter? I don't want to cheat but I don't want to cut myself short either.

Replies

• adhillman01
    Options
    Did you enter your age, weight or gender into your treadmill? If not, I'd go with the database. Machines are notoriously unreliable. I've noticed the treadmill I use at the gym bumps up like 200 calories per hour when going from 3.7 to 3.8 miles per hour. It is averaged that running you burn about 100 calories per mile. If you went 30 min at 4mph you went two miles. So at running you would burn 200 calories. I would assume walking would be slightly less than that so I would think the 185 would be a good estimate.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    300 cal sounds pretty high to me for a walk like that, you are prob better off with the lower #....I use a HRM for my workouts and a walk like that would be closer to the 185 i think
  • deandt
    deandt Posts: 20
    Options
    I personally would go with the lower one just in case the higher one is wrong and you end up with a higher cal allowance than you should have. but if you need to use thos exta cals that you would have gained for doing a higher burn then just use them.
  • metajess
    Options
    I use cardiotrainer on my android phone. the treadmill vs cardio trainer are NEVER accurate on calories, but are usually accurate through every thing else. i do notice cardiotrainer is much more similar with calories burned when i put it into the data base here (between 5-7 +/- calories @ avg mph).
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's all different from person to person, based on you age, weight, heart rate (everyone's heart works different, even if you are the same age, height, weight). If you want to have more accurate info about your burn, get a Heart Rate Monitor.

If you get a basic one to give you average heart rate, then you can plug into formula to get the calories info (http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/)

Or you can get a more expensive one to give you the calorie burn reading after each workout.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor. It is more accurate than database or machine.
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    Options
    another factor that can change the amount of calories burned depends on whether you had your treadmill inclined and by how much. As you would be burning more calories if you set your treadmill to an incline instead of just flat.
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dang. I was feeling so good about 300 calories in 30min! I:frown: guess if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't.