self defense/personal protection while you run

Options
I think women esp could benefit from hearing what others use/do. I'm a worrier/over-packer, so I'm always prepared. What do you do??? :glasses:

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I try and run really, really quickly. :flowerforyou:
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    Bump
  • DisneyMum
    Options
    I always run with a partner. Not sure if that is an option for you.
    If I have to run alone. I carry my cell phone. I have my house key too which I guess could be used as a weapon.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    German.Shepherd... =)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    By the way, the horses in your photo are GORGEOUS! I miss mine =(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A deceptively cute but completely psychotic Pekingese. :laugh:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, so protection isn't an issue for me. But, I do carry pepper spray on my keys because I saw a woman get mugged in the Michael's parking lot just before Christmas, and my husband recently stopped a carjacker when he was at the gas station.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Carry a keychain pepper spray
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If I have to run when it's dark I keep to the main/well lit roads. This way there are always many cars around. I'm really bad with having my music up loud when I'm working out so being in a populated area makes me feel safer. Also I tend to wear longer clothing (that could be controversial). But I find that while I don't mind attention at say 10am I really don't like it at 9pm.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A deceptively cute but completely psychotic Pekingese. :laugh:

Dayum, gotta get me one of those! :happy:
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    By the way, the horses in your photo are GORGEOUS! I miss mine =(
    THANKS!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    German.Shepherd... =)

Man I'm jealous! I want to get one..maybe when my kids are all ten and up.

I run on the treadmill..:)
    I however, if running outside, prefer night and rain..I'd carry my cell phone, a knife and mace.
    Yes- I said a knife. Even if it only works at very close range it *does* work and I would have zero qualms stabbing a criminal trying to take me down.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If I run outside I have pepper Spray,a stun gun , and a knife. That way I can blind them,shock em,and poke em for good messure. I grew up in a bad area so at any given time I have a small arsenal on me.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Oh yeah..I forgot to say..I live in a very nice suburban environment. I don't really anticipate being attacked running through my neighborhood but you never know...I am a woman and in this world that's being #2 prey on the list of human prey. So I go prepared for Street Fighter.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have pepper spray on my keys but if someone tried to grab me who knows if I would actually have enough time to get it. I am a black belt in tae-kwon-do I will take em down :) lol then pepper spray them just for trying to screw with me.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I have pepper spray on my keys but if someone tried to grab me who knows if I would actually have enough time to get it. I am a black belt in tae-kwon-do I will take em down :) lol then pepper spray them just for trying to screw with me.

*does a double take at "lil" in her name*
    HAHA..you kick *kitten*, literally!
    2 million points for you my friend *kisses*
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I run down the Greek row and through campus at my college; I usually don't bring anything with me like pepper spray because there are always people around, mostly other students. I always tell someone that I've gone running and hat if I'm not back in 2 hours and they can't contact me, to call my parents, police, something.
    When I'm running at home, which is a nice suburban area, I also tell someone where I'm going and when I'll be back. I always bring my ID too, although that's more for in case something does happen then to stop it from happening.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I run down the Greek row and through campus at my college; I usually don't bring anything with me like pepper spray because there are always people around, mostly other students. I always tell someone that I've gone running and hat if I'm not back in 2 hours and they can't contact me, to call my parents, police, something.
    When I'm running at home, which is a nice suburban area, I also tell someone where I'm going and when I'll be back. I always bring my ID too, although that's more for in case something does happen then to stop it from happening.

I think it's VERY smart to let someone know you've headed out and when you expect to be back.

The only time I've really been frightened while running was in broad daylight (noon) in a fairly heavily trafficked area. I was really grateful that if I hadn't been back in a half hour, someone would have noticed. Best to tell someone when you expect to be back if you can't run with a partner.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    For the record, next time I run, I want @lilmissgenius with me! :)
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't take anything with me but I never wear head phones when I am running. That way I am more aware of my surroundings. I just play my music on my iphone with that speaker.