Warrior Dash - Best Way to Train (have you done it)?

Options
I almost piggy-backed off another thread here, but thought this question more specific.

Anyone have suggestions on HOW to train for the warrior dash? I've dropped 40lbs and am doing strength training and some cardio but am in no way a runner. My cardio and endurance probably suck on an epic scale. If I can't run, would I be out of place walking part of it? My goal may to be just to finish.

If you haven't heard of it - check out www.warriordash.com. I have had friends RAVE about it - looks like a cross of a crazy obstical course, in the mud, while wearing a viking hat and drinking beer in celebration.

Replies

• tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am doing the WD in May and have no idea how to train for it either. I've been running and strength training to try and build up for this thing. Looking forward to hearing the suggestions! BTW, it's only 3.11 miles w/ running and obstacles. I would think some bootcamp training would be good too.
  • mkrafick
    Options
    Interesting detail from a friend - I had asked about his experience and how he trained. Is it OK to walk if needed, etc... Here is his response below (Names changed to protect the innocent)

# # #

FriendA did it last year with me and he never trained for it. Really, it's not very serious. Much of the course is single track trails, so you are likely to get caught behind someone else walking anyway. The obstacles were not that tough, the toughest was a rope wall, but that was easy for most anyway.

Really, you just got be willing to get muddy and have a good time. There will be people actually racing (Wifes's friend got second overall for the entire day!), but they'll be at the start. Conversely, there were people already drunk that almost fell over before it even started. there were TONS of college kids, made me feel like an old man.

I'd really just jog for 30 minutes straight to train, so that you are used to your heart pounding for that long. Or, start running. Don't worry about training for obstacles, but pushups and pullups would make you a beast.
  • staci_metzger
    staci_metzger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just found the WD last week. My sis in law did a similar one called the Dirty Dash and I was intrigued and have been looking for something like this. Looking at the pictures from the previous years there were plenty of heavier guys and gals who did it. 40 pounds lighter is a big deal and I think you would be fine. I really wouldn't care what anyone else thinks if you have to walk and probably no one will even be paying attention to what you are doing. Just push yourself and have fun:) At least that's what I'm telling myself. My local WD is in August and I have a LOT of training to do before then and personally I wouldn't care if I had to walk it as long as it meant I could DO ALL of it. I live in a small town and I just found the local park has a 1.5 mile fitness trail that I am starting to go to twice a week. It has obstacles like push ups, pull ups, balance beams, and even a beam you have to climb/heave yourself over. Best of all it's free. I looked up my local WD obstacle course and have found similar activities that mimic what I will have to do. My husband is even setting up a practice course in the backyard with free used materials like tires and a short wall to practice climbing over made out of scrap decking we got off craigslist. We're pretty crafty:) You're doing good with the cardio and strength training but I would look up your WD course and figure out what obstacles you will go through and mimic them as best as you can. Climbing up and over a wall and leapfrogging platforms in water is different than pushing weights, obviously, so up your game and start getting yourself off the ground:)
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have registered for WD in my area as well. From what I have heard, it's kind of slow going because of all the obstacles. I had success last year with the Couch to 5k podcast from Running in to Shape. It's an 8 week program that you do three times a week. I finished a 5k with ease last year by doing this and combining strength training. I signed up for WD for something different and because I'm not ready to commit to a 10K. I actually hate running but I make myself do it! LOL I have access to lots of trails and hiking so I am currently adding that to the mix. Good Luck!
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    I did the Warrior dash last year in Lake Elsinore, CA last year. Your buddy is right! The warrior dash is mainly about having fun! There wasn't much running at all because it was all split up with the obstacles. So at the most I ran about a half mile straight away... the best training you can do is endurance training and some strength training. the more ready you are, the more fun it will be.

If your feeling fit and limber, you can climb and jump all over the car hoods, if not you will simply climb over them to get over them! It can be a blast or it can be terrifying.

So do some jogging, some jump roping, some push ups, some high knees and some squats. Ready WARRIOR DASH!

Good LUCK!
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    I did the Warrior dash last year in Lake Elsinore, CA last year. Your buddy is right! The warrior dash is mainly about having fun! There wasn't much running at all because it was all split up with the obstacles. So at the most I ran about a half mile straight away... the best training you can do is endurance training and some strength training. the more ready you are, the more fun it will be.

If your feeling fit and limber, you can climb and jump all over the car hoods, if not you will simply climb over them to get over them! It can be a blast or it can be terrifying.

So do some jogging, some jump roping, some push ups, some high knees and some squats. Ready WARRIOR DASH!

Good LUCK!
  • NimotheFrog
    Options

Good LUCK!
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    Glitch much? Sorry :/
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    trying to revive this, since I registered. I think I will train for it, just to have something to work toward. once I am done with the half-marathon training plan I will switch to more strength training and HIIT. Making up some obstacles might be fun too!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I got on here specifically to search for info on training for WD! I'm so interested in it, but more than a little scared! Have never done anything like that. :bigsmile:
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I got on here specifically to search for info on training for WD! I'm so interested in it, but more than a little scared! Have never done anything like that. :bigsmile:

Same here! I really want to do it since it's something different for me. It's in June here in PA!
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the one the Georgia or Maryland dash? If in Maryland, I'm signed up for Sunday! I'm so excited for it!

I am doing the WD in May and have no idea how to train for it either. I've been running and strength training to try and build up for this thing. Looking forward to hearing the suggestions! BTW, it's only 3.11 miles w/ running and obstacles. I would think some bootcamp training would be good too.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i've heard that it is pretty slow too eventhough they give prizes to the fastest folks too. i am currently training for a 5 K i am doing april 9, but i am definately working on my upper body especially for the warrior dash.. i'm stoked for it.. looking forward to getting all muddied up! good luck everyone! = )

(feel free to friend me and we can trade our WD training and race stories!)

~ chrissyv1024
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do it here in Illinois for the first time but from what I hear, it's more for fun than any serious running. My plan is to jog most of it. If I'm paying $65 to do this I'd rather go steady and enjoy everyone getting dirty and having fun than just trying to get through it as fast as possible.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Mine isnt till August..Worried about the upper body strength part. I be chin ups should all become our friend
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is awesome! I started three months ago, and ran 5 miles today!!! I originally started it for the Warrior Dash (PA in June!) and have since gotten hooked on running.

I'm doing the Dash with some family and friends, and we have a pact to not race... to just go slow and stick together.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just did the Warrior Dash on March 20th. Tons of people walk in sections so don't even worry about that. I would try to get some work in on jogging if you can but honestly after your shoes get wet & muddy it will slow down most people anyway. The "obstacles" also were more fun than really hard. It was a TOTAL BLAST so don't stress too much about it. Good luck!!
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My Warrior Dash is on Fathers Day and I am PUMPED! I watched my husband and sister in law do it last year and they had a blast!! I cant wait. Im just training for a regular 5K (which I am also running) and hoping that my muscle tone will help me through the obstacles. My husband says there no real way to train for the obstacles. We shall see.....
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I'm doing the one in Kansas City and I'm so excited! I wanna do the Tough Mudder next year too! (*nervously bites nails*) :P
  • KageG
    KageG Posts: 3
    Options
    I did the WD last September. I, too, am not a runner. I found that the most difficult leg of the race is the beginning. The course that I was on began with about a mile and a half of steep hills. At times, the hills were so steep that even the most avid runners could not run them. This was made more difficult by the fact that you run through a very small mud bog before doing the hills, so you're already wet and weighted down. After this section it was obstacles that were adventurous, but did not really allow for a lot of running, so no worries there.
    My suggestions is to run as many hills as you can to train, and beach running as well.
    It was the time of my life. It was total hell, but I loved ever minute of it. Good Luck!