kicking the carbs

Options
i want to know how many people have the calorific carbs their weakness and have found that their carb intake is way more than they want to it to be or a solution to just reisiting the tempting pizza and sandwiches..... cause i for one can definatly say that they are my weakness!

Replies

• winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over in my carbs....but I eat only whole grains, and a lot of my protein is also high carb....and what can I say......I <3 Bread!!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was a carbaholic....a bad carboholic. I had visions of rice and pasta in my dreams! I have learned to choose other foods and lower my carbs. Send me a friend request and put "carbs" in the message box (if you want to). I would be more than happy to give you some ideas. I am diabetic, so counting carbs (unfortunately) has become a big part of my life.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If I do not restrict my carbs somewhat- I crave more of them.

When I limit them to healthy complex carbs and under 140 grams a day or so? No problem with cravings :smile:
  • milliespicer
    Options
    what other foods would you recommend as a replacement? i read once that a craving for food symbolises what your lacking at the time, not sure if that is actually true as it was a magazine. But i do find that that is all that i want, especially sandiwiches! if i could find a food that gave me the same sort of craving but not soo bad for you it would make this journey a whole lot easier!
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about using wraps instead of regular breads? I even use them to make thin crust pizza .
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful about sugars and any fried carb -- like French fries. Sugars, like in sodas or candy, make me crave more carbs just to the point of distraction. Fried carbs like French fries or fried pies or funnel cake, aiyee! They show up on my scale WAY out of proportion to calories consumed. I swear I can eat 600 calories of French fries or tortilla chips and gain five pounds overnight.

So, yeah, I am careful enough about my carbs that even though I often go over on protein, fat, and salt, I am almost NEVER over on carbs. Usually I have a good margin left. I don't do Atkins -- some carbs I do just fine with if I limit the calorie intake -- but I do limit sugars and fried carbohydrates to control hunger, cravings, and that odd phenomenon where French fries go straight to my hips without passing go.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wraps, tortillas, very thinly sliced bread, and increasing your servings of other things all help. If there's any meal or snack where you can cut carbs entirely, try that -- I eat a very low-carb breakfast.

Good luck!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    what other foods would you recommend as a replacement? i read once that a craving for food symbolizes what your lacking at the time, not sure if that is actually true as it was a magazine. But i do find that that is all that i want, especially sandwiches! if i could find a food that gave me the same sort of craving but not so bad for you it would make this journey a whole lot easier!

Just make sure you use whole grain breads for your sandwiches. When it comes to carbs in general you want to make sure they are complex carbs (whole grains) whenever possible. They are more filling and aid in digestion. Plus they do not impact your blood sugar as much as the white breads and pastas. I will not give up carbs as I would just crave them more, I learned that on Atkins a few years ago. Now I just use a better balance of good foods. A rarely go over on carbs these days, but than I am not craving carbs like I used to either.
  • milliespicer
    Options
    thank you for all the suggestions guys pretty excited to start this officially tomorrow (well today) i want to take this head on and dont want to be worrying about my love for a carbs a few weeks in when i havent lost anything because ive been eating millions of bagels the whole time haha! wraps definatly sound like a brilliant idea as you can definatly do so much with those, i think i should definatly have a detailed look at recipies and see what i havent tried yet to steer me away from the food i've currently been eating!
    CANT WAIT, Thanks :D
  • vintagedream
    Options
    im actually under my carb count most of the time and not sure if its a good thing or not but i just find it easer to stay away from it so i dont over indulge.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    what other foods would you recommend as a replacement? i read once that a craving for food symbolizes what your lacking at the time, not sure if that is actually true as it was a magazine. But i do find that that is all that i want, especially sandwiches! if i could find a food that gave me the same sort of craving but not soo bad for you it would make this journey a whole lot easier!
    try increasing your protein intake and then switching from white processed carbs to whole grain carbs instead. Choosing a whole grain bread and brown rice will still give you the carb satisfaction but will increase your fiber intake naturally also and will eventually help you come off those cravings.

I remember reading something about cravings but depending on what you're craving it could be vitamins and minerals that are also found in those foods. It could be too that if you're not providing enough energy to your body (too few calories) your body is increasing that carb craving in effort to get you to increase energy intake.

Don't try to quit altogether as your body (and brain) need carbs for fast energy (faster than protein anyway) but start by making the switch to slow burning low glycemic impact carbs and then from there when you get past the cravings you can start weeding out or cutting down on the carbs if you think you need to. It could be that you are just a carb nutrition type too and your body does better on higher carb to fat/protein ratio. You can check your nutrition type here: http://nutritionaltyping.mercola.com/