healthy snacks?

Options
what are some late night healthy snacks? 3004847.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    28g of almonds - about 10 I think... might be 20, i forget and usually weigh them.
    Fruit, cheese, peanut butter, avocados - really depends on your goals and what you have left to work with.
  • lele83
    Options
    Whats the healthiest peanut butter to buy, I see a lot of them are packed with calories/fat?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Whats the healthiest peanut butter to buy, I see a lot of them are packed with calories/fat?

look at the ingredients. the ingredients should say "peanuts". or "peanuts, salt". If it says anything else, put it back on the shelf. Watch out for the ones that say "Natural Peanut Butter" on the front and still have added stuff in the ingredients list.
  • lele83
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the peanut butter. That's very helpful.3004847.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Raw Almonds- half serving- about 14 almonds- they are about a gram a piece.
    apple
    light yogurt
    rice cakes
    special k chocolatey delight
  • CamilleWalker
    Options
    Try Adams Peanut Butter
  • CamilleWalker
    Options
    I like to eat low fat cottage cheese on wheat toast. It is a quick way to eat a protein and a carb! (I will even add tomato slices on top, but some may/may not like that!)
  • mdward79
    mdward79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with fruit and Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, granola or honey. Lots of protein to keep you full longer.
  • xxxwings
    Options
    Baby carrots!! I dip them in Laughing Cow Light Cheese and its awesome and under 100 calories for a satisfying amount of both.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Yes Adams is good peanut butter. I used to get the Salt free. :happy:
  • jennieraska
    Options
    Peanut butter is full of good mono and polyunsaturated fat and omega 3's. Fat is okay, as long as you stay away from trans fat. Even saturated fat is okay in moderation.

If you read most information on the subject getting lower calorie or lower fat peanut butter is not the best choice. They replace the good fats with extra carbs, sugar, and fillers which takes away the reason to eat it in the first place.

Go for natural peanut butter or even try almond or cashew butter-actually measure the serving size. Mixed with a chocolate whey shake you can't go wrong. Yum!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    I tend to makign my own Peanutbutter once in a while.

I put several nuts (no need to use peanuts exclusively!), like almonds or pistachios together with peanuts a little bit salt in a mixer/cutter/blender.
    All these nuts can be bought without housing...mostly you'll find them section for baking ingredients in your supermarket. It is not really more expensive than buying them with housing, but less a hazzle :wink:

Blend the nuts to the consistency you prefer (i like mine a little bit crunchy, but without large pieces as in purchased crunchy peanutbutter) an than pour one tablespoon of powdered sugar (for fluffiness) and a little bit of sunflower oil to it and mix.
    Add mor sunflower oil until it gets creamy and gooey enough to be spreadable on bread. :smile:

Of course you can add spices, too :smile:
    I loved my Habanero-Chili-Almond-Peanutbutter

Spread this on delicious (self-baked?) whole-wheat bread and top it with a freshly cut slice of paprika (or is it called pepper...depends on where you're from, I guess :wink:) and I would undisputably choose this unprocessed goody over every pack of chips or nachos in the world :smile:
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Pickles. While high in sodium the cals are about 0. I had 2 tonight.
  • loveshinesthru
    Options
    I know our local Fred Meyer (Also Kroger) has grind your own peanut butter, they supply the peanuts.
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Baby Carrots and Hummus!!