Help! Injured ankle..... what can I do?

Options
Hi all,

I've hurt my ankle. Bad. My sister is a sports trainer, she looked at it and said she doesn't think it's muscular or anything that needs anything other than rest.

Rest. Hmmm. That doesn't sit well with me. I'm used to working out a lot. My usual exercise consists of DVDs (like 30 day shred/ cardio circuts/ high impact/ plyometrics etc), classes like Combat/ Body Attack, running and walking. Virtually NONE of these I can do while my ankle is bad.

I've tried doing just the strength training on the DVDs and I've been to the gym on the bike/ rowing machine today but I'm not a fan. I was going to swim but the pool was shut :-(

Please help me find something to do! I want to get the cardio included. Thanks!!

Jo xx

Replies

• amstein18
    Options
    punches!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ice it. 20 min on, 20 min off do that a couple times. And yes, rest is the best. You don't want a stress fracture or any worse. Just take care of your ankle. Being off of it for a week is better than months if it develops into something worse. Ice and rest Is the best.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dont think cardio is really an option here. Try to really do strength training for a week or two until it gets better, and buy maybe some cream for it, and try not to walk around too much.
    But Im not really an expert on this:)
    Good luck!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    RICE is the only thing
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    After 48 hours you could depending on severity start VERY LIGHT work and see how it feels, but if you did a good job injuring it then let it heal. Their are things at the gym you can do, light bike work, lots of weight training, and some gyms have that bike looking thing for your arms.
    You don't want this to be a long rehab on a moderate injury. so try to take it easy.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Also if you do circuit weight training you will get your HR up. It isn't running but it will help.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Wow! I was just thinking about posting this topic too-I also sprained(as far as I know) my ankle from one of the jumps during 30 day shred ! I feel awful not getting a full workout in now because my ankle . I have been still doing that dvd but when it comes to jumps and lunges etc I take my weights and do so many min of punches and upper cuts to try to get my heart rate up-I am also incorporating some more of her(jilllian michaels) dvd's in my workout in the same day too and modifying them that way also
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This happened to me... after a bad breakup I increased my running mileage and sprained my ankles. (My doctor said something about ligament damage/injury?). Anyway, she said to rest it, and of course I didn't listen to her and did what I thought was ok. It wasn't, and I prolonged my injury!! It ended up taking about 6weeks to heal - way longer than it should have!!

As hard as it is.. rest it :frown:
  • jptmemphis
    jptmemphis Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    swim:smile: