I can't give up but I'm just so upset

Options
2»

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Some ppl it just takes longer to see the results. What type of exercises are you doing? If you weight train and do cardio 6 times a week and try to do alot of weight training like an hours worth then you should see some kind of results rather it be inch loss or toning. Plus cardio doin HIIT for at least 30 minutes a day should also help. I do chest and back twice a week, legs twice a week and shoulders, arms and biceps twice a week and cardio everyday of the week. I no longer see weightloss however the definition in my biceps are nice! So go by your clothes the way they fit and don't watch the scale, I weigh myself bout once a month. Don't stress out over the numbers. Plus, weightloss is 10% gentics, 10% exercise and 80% diet. So, check out what's on the menu and see if anything could be changed. Yea, yea, I know, diet is the biggest issue in my life. Nom Nom I love certain bad foods that I can't go without eatin and omg gotta do a sheetz run, yea, my diet sucks. I got skin to tighten up and I get upset over it. But I don't have anyone else to blame but myself on that one. So just keep that in mind, look at what's really goin into your mouth.
    Hope I could be of some help. Good luck.

Thank you, you are right I will take another look at my menu. my strength training is only 35min long 3 times a week, I am doing Chalean which targets upper body and lower body at the same time. I do HIIT too but only 3 times a week
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Don't get disheartened. Have you lost inches from your hips or waist? What are you doing when you work out and for how long?

I am trying not to though.. and no I haven't lost anything. I am doing live boot camp twice a week for an hr, I do chalean 3x a week, lifting fairly heavy, I also do 40min of either interval jogging or elleptical when I do strength training, play badminton once a week.

There was a blog posted today called "Nutritional Cycling - Review". Don't know if it's for you but might be worth it to check out. It's strict nutrient cycling. It regulates carbs and attempts to burn fat while minimizing muscle loss. Part of the process is exercising at a high rate which you are already doing. And diet and exercise are stress to the body. Maybe even give your body a week's break to jump start it. With heavy weight lifting you want to up your protein to probably around 40%-50% percent. It's hard to do but it forces your body to burn off fat and carbs rather than muscle mass.

Good luck!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I started tracking sodium and it made all the difference. I'd add that to your diary. Good luck!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    There is still a small chance you're overtraining which forces your muscles to hold on to water, recovery is just as important as the exercise itself. Also, I wouldn't firmly get into the habit of eating every exercise calorie itself back, and while I look over your diary I see in this last week that there is a notable amount of fast food, steak, etc that really isn't going to help you (not being mean or condescending, trying to help). Remember, your weight is going to be 80% what you eat, 10% genetics, and 10% exercise. Also it would be good to include more fruits and veggies per meal, unless what you're doing is a strict high protein low carb diet. Change some of things up, and I'd be surprised that you don't see results. You can do it! \m/
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Jilly- Thank you I will lower my carbs intake and thank you for your support greatly appreciated

Kasmir- Thank you for your support.
    Yes I do change things around, strength training every 4 weeks and cardio is basically every day is something different

Catcrazy- yes I have a HRM :D.

ODONNA- oh yes TOM is a big factor.. last time was when i gained 3lbs and they haven't come off that was 3 weeks ago. I was tracking sodium before but nothing so I thought perhaps it was sugar.

Hchristine- yes i think that's what i'm going to do

HP sneakers- hhmm I will take a look thank you
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    And possibly more fresh fruits and veggies:)
  • Pineapples
    Options
    There is still a small chance you're overtraining which forces your muscles to hold on to water, recovery is just as important as the exercise itself. Also, I wouldn't firmly get into the habit of eating every exercise calorie itself back, and while I look over your diary I see in this last week that there is a notable amount of fast food, steak, etc that really isn't going to help you (not being mean or condescending, trying to help). Remember, your weight is going to be 80% what you eat, 10% genetics, and 10% exercise. Also it would be good to include more fruits and veggies per meal, unless what you're doing is a strict high protein low carb diet. Change some of things up, and I'd be surprised that you don't see results. You can do it! \m/

yes you are right. yesterday is a bad example but I was trying to shock my body by purposely going over my calories. I will add more veggies I know I don't eat them very much. Thanks for your advise.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    And possibly more fresh fruits and veggies:)

yes hehe
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Yea, try doin your HIIT more than 3 times a week. That should help.
  • pattyp711
    Options
    I have hypothroid and it is very difficult to lose weight. However I heard about adding vitamin D suppliments (5000 to 10000) a day. Since then I added 5000 and started to lose weight. Slowly but surely about 10 lbs since November.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration as this happens to me alot. Do you measure your portions? It is very easy to mistake sizes and that can certainly add to actual calories. What about BLT's (Bites, licks, tastes)? grabbing a nibble and thinking it is only a couple of calories?

And then there are the non food contributers .. do you get enough sleep (7-8 hrs consistently) ? This is my biggest impactor as I have insomnia and only average 5-6 hours max .. it makes my loss much more difficult and I see that on the scale daily vs weekends.. What about stress? that will impact you too, especially around the stomach.

Please don't give up.. you committement to better health will pay off.. it may be slow but the journey will be what really counts.

:flowerforyou:
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was in the exact same position that you are in now but just a couple of years ago. I was on this site and working out like a mad woman and doing everything I was suppose to and the weight just would not budge.

After talking with MY doctor about this as well as several different personal trainers, they told me to stop eating my exercise calories. They all told me that this was counter productive. Instead, they told me to eat about 1400-1500 a day and exercise the same as i was and that would take the weight off. They said on days I don't exercise to eat a little less, like 1300. This made a lot of sense to me but I was still skeptical based on everything people on this site say about following that rule.

I kid you not, a week later I was down 2 lbs and now I have lost 21lbs doing it this way. Just increase your calorie intake a little and stop eating your exercise calories! you worked hard to lose those calories so don't eat them back. I'm sure if you mention to your doctor that you workout a ton and eat back the calories, he/she will tell you stop as well.

If you are a healthy person, which it sounds like you are, and you doctor feels that you have no such thyroid problems, then it truly believe that your issue is too much calorie intake.

If you do decide to give this a try, add me to your friends! I would love to hear if this works! I know how happy i was once I figured out what my issue was and that it was an easy solution. I tortured myself for so long about why it wasn't working.

If the way you're doing things now isn't working, then switch it up, you know? Your body is telling, "Hey, this isn't working for me girl!"

Good luck and keep your head up!
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was in the exact same position that you are in now but just a couple of years ago. I was on this site and working out like a mad woman and doing everything I was suppose to and the weight just would not budge.

After talking with MY doctor about this as well as several different personal trainers, they told me to stop eating my exercise calories. They all told me that this was counter productive. Instead, they told me to eat about 1400-1500 a day and exercise the same as i was and that would take the weight off. They said on days I don't exercise to eat a little less, like 1300. This made a lot of sense to me but I was still skeptical based on everything people on this site say about following that rule.

I kid you not, a week later I was down 2 lbs and now I have lost 21lbs doing it this way. Just increase your calorie intake a little and stop eating your exercise calories! you worked hard to lose those calories so don't eat them back. I'm sure if you mention to your doctor that you workout a ton and eat back the calories, he/she will tell you stop as well.

If you are a healthy person, which it sounds like you are, and you doctor feels that you have no such thyroid problems, then it truly believe that your issue is too much calorie intake.

If you do decide to give this a try, add me to your friends! I would love to hear if this works! I know how happy i was once I figured out what my issue was and that it was an easy solution. I tortured myself for so long about why it wasn't working.

If the way you're doing things now isn't working, then switch it up, you know? Your body is telling, "Hey, this isn't working for me girl!"

Great post!!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? And how about your sodium intake? Really pay attention to you inch loss, that's what everyone sees anyway, not the scale. If you're healthy and feeling good in your clothes, then there is progress!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    check out the link in my signature "frantic about adhering to calories...". He talks about trying to beat your body into submission. Exercise is stress on the body and you may be doing too much.

I don't know about my previous post here. The guy who discusses it says it's for more extreme body building.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Hi there,

Great post!!

This can be great but you have to be careful. If your calories go too low for too many days in a row then you can suffer a slowing metabolism to the point where you can actually start gaining weight (you will lose a little at first but this will eventually stop). The baseline is 1200 and I would go with that. The scientific term for Starvation Mode is "adaptive thermalgenesis". Eat enough exercise calories to keep you above that number.

Medical school doesn't focus on nutrition. That is why I don't necessarily believe everything that comes out of a doctor's mouth regarding nutrition. (It's like if you have questions on medications you ask a pharmacist - not a doctor). And though personal trainers have a bit more knowledge they don't know all either. I've seen different answers from different trainers for the same question. And they were conflicting answers.

I increased my calories a little over a week ago. From 1250 to 1500 and I dropped another pound that week.

I haven't looked at your diary but I would 'shock' your body by eating more healthy food rather than fast food. There's just too much sodium and fats in fast food. That is just my opinion, though. :smile:
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This can be great but you have to be careful. If your calories go too low for too many days in a row then you can suffer a slowing metabolism to the point where you can actually start gaining weight (you will lose a little at first but this will eventually stop). The baseline is 1200 and I would go with that. The scientific term for Starvation Mode is "adaptive thermalgenesis". Eat enough exercise calories to keep you above that number.

Medical school doesn't focus on nutrition. That is why I don't necessarily believe everything that comes out of a doctor's mouth regarding nutrition. (It's like if you have questions on medications you ask a pharmacist - not a doctor). And though personal trainers have a bit more knowledge they don't know all either. I've seen different answers from different trainers for the same question. And they were conflicting answers.

I increased my calories a little over a week ago. From 1250 to 1500 and I dropped another pound that week.

I haven't looked at your diary but I would 'shock' your body by eating more healthy food rather than fast food. There's just too much sodium and fats in fast food. That is just my opinion, though. :smile:
    [/quote]

I don't eat fast food but thanks for the advice.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help and advise. I will continue to hang in there and make some small adjustments.

1. lowered my carb intake and increase protein
    2. Watch the sodium
    3. slow down a bit in exercise
    4. Not to eat all my calories back

Thanks again everyone!!