Feeling Anxiety over other people cooking...

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
I live at home.

My mom has decided tonight that she's going to cook dinner (rarity in my house lol). She found a recipe that she wants to try but she's switching it up a bit because my Step-dad doesn't like blue cheese. The recipe she found is from Claire Robinson from Food Network from the show 5 Ingredients or Less.

The recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/bacon-and-blue-cheese-stuffed-chicken-breasts-recipe/index.html

Yeah, you read that right. Bacon & Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast (evil!). She will be removing the Blue Cheese and replacing it with Cotija Mexican Cheese. She'll be adding Green Chillis and the Chicken breast will be skinless.

I can't find the nutritional information for that recipe on the Food Network website. Does anyone know where I can find it? Maybe I'm missing something on the site?

I'm feeling anxiety over other people cooking, which isn't different from normal. I've always had control issues with the kitchen ...it's my domain! lol (I love to cook) But the anxiety has changed from control to anxiety over making sure I know what's going into the food and if ill be able to eat it.

Sorry just needed a little vent

Thank you!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I HATE eating when others cook. Even restaurants. You never know what's going in! Glad to know i'm not a freak ;)
  • EaglesFan521
    EaglesFan521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can enter the recipe in under your recipes, you just put in the ingrediants, the number of servings it serves and it does the math for you!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Food network is great for recipes but not giving the facts. Most chefs like that dont care what the calories are just that it taste good.
    I am teaching myself to go back and break down all my recipes and get the nutrition facts so I can post them for others.

Try doing this:
    enter in each item that she is using and how much is going into each
    1 skinless chicken breast
    1/4 c. cotija mex cheese
    1/4 c. green chile
    etc....

then you should get a close count on what the cals, fat , carb is for your dinner.

~Chef Jenn~
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can enter the recipe in under your recipes, you just put in the ingrediants, the number of servings it serves and it does the math for you!

She beat me to it. The recipe tool would be great for this.

P.S. - OMG, that sounds so yummy!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My boyfriend is a good cook as well as a very healthy eater and regular exerciser. That being said, he has no problem with weight (He's 6'3" and string bean skinny!), so he doesn't do reduced-fat anything. If he's cooking, I can always count on it being healthy but usually laden with fat (the healthy kind). He's big on avocados and extra virgin olive oil, for instance. I know it's good fat, but it can still make you fat, so I get really anxious, hovering over him and asking him to go easy on the oil. He tries to be supportive, but since he doesn't have to watch his weight, he sometimes gets frustrated--he just doesn't get it. He's like, "If I don't put more oil in, this is gonna burn!" I don't really have a solution. I guess just explain your dilemma to your family, and maybe they will try to help you out! Otherwise, just try to minimize the meals you eat that they're cooking, and you'll probably be fine. Best of luck!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    this = )
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I had the same problem this weekend. My sister came over and she cooked dinner last night...Oy...She put like a TON of salt in the once healthy beans (we make beans from the dried ones not canned - so no salt) and made like 3 different deserts. Yikes! Who knows what else she put in my food...Oh well, shes gone home now.

I would just have a small portion and then eat a huge salad or a bunch of veggies or something...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If it's a rarity...then don't stress it. Enjoy the family together time, eat a small portion if you think it's going to be calorie laden, but reassure yourself that one meal is NOT going to cause you to gain a pound/ go into starvation mode/ completely undo the hard work you've done so far.

Seriously, we have to be able to live our lives and enjoy family occasions!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    this = )

I concur w/ this one too! :) (yes I really did just say concur) :tongue:
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If it's a rarity...then don't stress it. Enjoy the family together time, eat a small portion if you think it's going to be calorie laden, but reassure yourself that one meal is NOT going to cause you to gain a pound/ go into starvation mode/ completely undo the hard work you've done so far.

Seriously, we have to be able to live our lives and enjoy family occasions!

Ditto this.
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't bear others cooking for me, I sound insane if I need to weigh everything and stand over them so I don't let anyone cook for me. If we ever go out while I'm dieting I use restaurants that provide the data such as the Toby Carvery! I just like knowing exactly what goes in my body, especially given that certain things give me stomach cramps, like gluten, egg and prawns!
  • dawnelaine96
    dawnelaine96 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I learn something new about MFP everyday. Didn't know their was a way to put in your recipes. Very cool! Think I'm gonna have to play around with some of these different tabs to find out what else I'm missing out on.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    enter it into the recipe tab here on MFP and it will let you
  • ceige333
    ceige333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should be able to "add new recipe" under the recipe tab in the food diary. With five items or less it will be quite easy to calculate. Hope it helps and the 'evil cheese' can always be eaten around and then fed to your very happy dog (or if you don't have a dog to your trash can). Hope this helps.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I knew about the recipe tab but was hoping I was missing something on Food Networks website...guessing not! lol

She's decided against that recipe. I have no idea what she's doing now which is making my anxiety worse. I'd almost rather her make that recipe because she'd be following a recipe and it would be easier to calculate.

*edit* she's changed her mind back to the original recipe. I think she was feeling bad but I told her if she follows the recipe it would be easier and probably less fat than just winging it with a random recipe in her head. Ill just see how much of it I can eat and go from there.

Thanks!
  • BrandNewMia
    Options

She beat me to it. The recipe tool would be great for this.

P.S. - OMG, that sounds so yummy!

I agree! I love love LOVE the recipe tool on MFP, super easy to use.