another running hydration question

taso42_DELETED
taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
This is sort of a piggyback question to this thread, which I didn't want to derail - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/182449-long-distance-runners-nutrition-question

I was surprised to see that some of the strong runners don't even take water on runs less than 8 miles. I seem to go through about 8-16 ounces of water every time. Oddly it's the same amount of water regardless of run length - from a short 20 minute HIIT session to a 6 mile run (6 miles is my personal max, and what I consider my "long run" :smile: ).

Ok my question is - should I try to ween myself off of needing to take sips of water? Is it doing any harm?

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    I'm no runner, but I don't think it could hurt by any means.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I've found myself drinking less water while I run simply because I find it distracting to my pace and actually difficult to do when going at faster speeds. I make sure to stay hydrated all day and I have a bottle with me when I'm on the treadmill but tend to not drink until I finish the run. But at least it's there if I need it.

But I'm also building up/"training" for going on longer distance (i.e. up to six miles for me) and outdoor runs, plus I'll be doing a 5K later this year. And since I don't want to have to try to be carrying bottles of water with me on any of those since it just seems like it will be cumbersome and difficult to deal with. So I sort of like the idea of being able to complete the run without drinking the whole ttime.

The longest I've gone so far is a 5.5 mile run in 60 minutes without drinking during.

Of course, I also did a 60 minute walk yesterday at 4.5 mph and it was in a fitness center in a hotel that was solid windows with the late afternoon sun coming straight in and it felt like I was working out in a greenhouse. And I hadn't had any water yet in the day. I polished off my 16.9 oz bottle of water about 45 minutes in and my mouth was like a wad of cotton by the time I finished. So conditions definitely have an effect on me as well.
  • ZCRTR
    ZCRTR Posts: 2
    It's not going to hurt you to drink while you run...but I'm with the person that said it's just a bother & messes up your pace. I would hydrate a couple hours before then rehydrate WELL after. But if you try & find yourself really thirsty...then you probably should carry it...your body knows what it needs....tune in!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    This is the most recent, and somewhat most pertinent, information regarding hydration during runs. Though, you may not be "marathon running," the article [and several related ones] promote hydration during vigorous physical activity.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361124-marathon-runner-diets/
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    I personally go with the flow. I don't tend to think about hydration too much; I just make sure I always have liquids with me. If I start getting thirsty I'll drink. If not, I won't. Sometimes I'm so concentrated on my running that I don't even notice being thirsty. Other times I'm constantly sipping from my bottle. Funnily enough, at the end of my gym sesh, I'm always left with exactly the same amount of water.

I'm a great believer in "the body knows what it needs" and mindful nutrition, and that's the approach I've taken to my weightloss and fitness; seems to be working great so far! If you feel like you need a drink, I don't personally think it'd be in your best interest to deny your body that bit of liquid.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I have always drunk quite a bit while running. I even set up my long runs so that I can drink every 3 miles or so.

If you're running by yourself, you can do loops to have a water stop every 3 miles.

If you're running with a partner, leave one of your cars at the mid-point of an out-and-back course. That way you have two water stops on each run.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I don't think you are doing yourself harm, but you do need to watch out for "over-hydration" (hard to do if you are using a sports drink).

My rationale for how much I drink depends on the race I am training for. If I am training for a half marathon I will only stop once during the race to eat a gel and wash it down, so I want to mirror that behavior in my training. If I am training for a marathon I will stop every two miles during the race for liquids and every six miles for energy gels, again I mirror that in my training.
  • It is an interesting question. Everybody is different. What works for one may not work for another.

I have been running for 3 years, normally on a treadmill for 30mins, sustaining 8.5-9mph (I don't have time for anything more :sad: ). Despite holding a relatively fast pace over a short distance, I don't feel I need a drink during the run.

Here are some things i've learned in that time:

- Ensure you hydrate 2-3 hours before the run. Necking a glass of water 15minutes before will guarantee you need a pee just as you find your stride.
    - When maintaining those speeds, you WILL smash the bottle top painfully into your teeth, despite trying not to!
    - No matter what type of bottle/cup you use, a majority of the water ends up all down your front (unless at a fast walk).
    - Taking on water disturbs my rhythym, making the next 5 minutes take forever.
    - A short time after taking on water whilst running, even small amounts, I get an uncomfortable, stitch-like pain in the gut.

Once i've finished the run, taking on water is part of the warm down. The sweat soaked shirt is normally a good clue that I need to! When running in hot weather (30c+) I find the same applies, except I take on more water during the warm down.

So for me and my typical training sessions, hydrating during exercise just doesn't work.
This discussion has been closed.