Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating only when hungry challenge!!!

Hi friends..I decided to open this topic because this is a problem that almost 90% of the people suffers when dieting....Sometimes most of us plan our day and then have those cravings or your brain tells you "I want a cookie, then I want a piece of chocolate, then come on only one chip", and so on, we end up eating a lot of unhealthy and sometimes healthy things (but not the right portions) and not following our plan.

I read somewhere that when you want something to eat, or when you think you're hungry, take the time to think what would you prefer: 1. An apple or 2. a piece of chocolate....If your answer is the apple then you're hungry, your stomach is growling and you need to eat really. But if your answer is the chocolate you only have a craving, or you're eating because you're bored, or because you want to chew something....

For me, I don't eat unhealthy things a lot, but sometimes I fall off my plan eating more nuts, more PB, more cheese, more yogurt, more cereal...and yes, they're healthy things but remember that the portions plays a big role in your diet and you can gain fat eating more apples with PB....

So, that's it, I invite you to post your planned menu here everyday (portions are not neccesary) and comment if you follow and stick to the plan or not, and if not, why?....That will help to really see the time when you have the tendency to broke your plan, or the situations that leads to that....

So this is it....

1. Follow your meal plan.
2. Eat when you're hungry and not for satisfying your cravings.
3. Get to know your body and the sings it gives to you....

Good luck:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    For me, I don't eat unhealthy things a lot, but sometimes I fall off my plan eating more nuts, more PB, more cheese, more yogurt, more cereal...and yes, they're healthy things but remember that the portions plays a big role in your diet and you can gain fat eating more apples with PB....

Yep, it's very easy to pig out on foods that are healthy. Using the food diary on mfp helps me a lot. I KNOW if I eat more than one serving of nuts, my fat for the day is going to be in the red. I LOVE me a BIG, huge bowl of cereal - mmm! But since the beginning of my change, I actually get out a measuring cup and measure out the cereal & milk every time. Same with peanut butter for apples. I learned quickly that what I thought 2 tablespoons of pb is was way off! :(

I know it's different for everyone, but I have to cut out cheese completely. I am a HUGE cheese fan. If all I could eat was cheese, I would be a happy girl. I just can't limit myself, so I stay completely away from it. Even if I'm served a salad a restaurant & forget to order no cheese, I pick it out & eat around it.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    i have cravings ALL THE TIME! After joining MFP, I quit smoking. I used to smoke when I would get a food craving, now that I'm not smoking, i want food ALL THE TIME!!!! I just control both my food and cigarette cravings with water. That's how I manage to get my 8 glasses of water a day too! I HATE WATER......BLAAAAH! Anyways, so far so good. Thats how I do it anyways!
  • Honestly...and it may be just me and I know I've only been here a little over a month, but I don't think it's right to only eat when you're hungry. My weight gain was due to only eating when I was hungry which was maybe twice a day, if that...it was even healthy food, but it didn't matter. My metabolism became virtually non-existant and I could put just 1 almond in my mouth and it would go straight to fat storage. Through this last month I've come to eat breakfast, a snack 2 hours later, lunch, another snack 2 hours later, dinner and a snack 2 hours later...constantly feeding my body, even when I wasn't hungry for it has given me the edge I've needed to get my metabolism back to a functioning state and the weight is gradually coming off by doing this.

I understand what you are saying about keeping the inbetween snacking to a minumum and not giving in to boredom cravings, but some people might not take it that way? I'm not wanting to offend anybody, but if there are others out there like me just starting this, they might think it's okay to skip the food (full meals and/or snacks) just because they're not hungry. And that's only going to hurt them in the long run.
  • Honestly...and it may be just me and I know I've only been here a little over a month, but I don't think it's right to only eat when you're hungry. My weight gain was due to only eating when I was hungry which was maybe twice a day, if that...it was even healthy food, but it didn't matter. My metabolism became virtually non-existant and I could put just 1 almond in my mouth and it would go straight to fat storage. Through this last month I've come to eat breakfast, a snack 2 hours later, lunch, another snack 2 hours later, dinner and a snack 2 hours later...constantly feeding my body, even when I wasn't hungry for it has given me the edge I've needed to get my metabolism back to a functioning state and the weight is gradually coming off by doing this.

I understand what you are saying about keeping the inbetween snacking to a minumum and not giving in to boredom cravings, but some people might not take it that way? I'm not wanting to offend anybody, but if there are others out there like me just starting this, they might think it's okay to skip the food (full meals and/or snacks) just because they're not hungry. And that's only going to hurt them in the long run.
    I agree i also ate the wrong things at the wrong time I had to retrain my body and eat 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals ,to boost my metabolism I find eating even if not hungry actually helps me energy wise throughout the day if I chose to not eat chances are later on through the day I will be wore down and decide to eat a piece of chocolate for a boost rather than an apple so that is why I eat now and have seen great results from this !!
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Honestly...and it may be just me and I know I've only been here a little over a month, but I don't think it's right to only eat when you're hungry. My weight gain was due to only eating when I was hungry which was maybe twice a day, if that...it was even healthy food, but it didn't matter. My metabolism became virtually non-existant and I could put just 1 almond in my mouth and it would go straight to fat storage. Through this last month I've come to eat breakfast, a snack 2 hours later, lunch, another snack 2 hours later, dinner and a snack 2 hours later...constantly feeding my body, even when I wasn't hungry for it has given me the edge I've needed to get my metabolism back to a functioning state and the weight is gradually coming off by doing this.

I understand what you mean, but that's your own situation, so maybe this challenge isn't for you because you don't have this problem, I think most of the people who read this post understand what I meant. The final message of this topic was to really stick to your plan and don't eat other things you didn't plan to...That's it...

It's good to eat 5-6 times a day and I know that for many people is difficult, but once you get it, it will be for life, so be patient, plan your day, stick to it, and you will be at your goal in no time....
  • gnutrifitness
    Sorry, this was the answer:

I understand what you mean, but that's your own situation, so maybe this challenge isn't for you because you don't have this problem, I think most of the people who read this post understand what I meant. The final message of this topic was to really stick to your plan and don't eat other things you didn't plan to...That's it...

It's good to eat 5-6 times a day and I know that for many people is difficult, but once you get it, it will be for life, so be patient, plan your day, stick to it, and you will be at your goal in no time....
  • gnutrifitness
    So this will be my first day and my plan meals are:

Breakfast: 3/4 c eggwhites + Veggies + Nitrite free ham
    Snack 1: Orange
    Lunch: Halibut steak + Coleslaw with low fat dressing
    Snack 2 (Postworkout): Homemade protein bar + Hot protein coffee shake
    Dinner: Hummus + Veggies + 1 oz low fat mozzarella cheese

I woke up late (10:30 am), so I ate my first meal too late...That's why dinner is small... This week I'll be cutting starchy carbs a little and sodium too, because next week I'm taking a vacation and I will be wearing my bikiny, so I want to look leaner and lose some water weight (I'm in TOM right now)...

So if you're in post your plan meal, and in the end of the day, comment if you stick to it or if you indulged!!...Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    So whats the plan? We pre plan what we are to eat for the day and stick to it? Is that the challenge?

Just checking. :)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Honestly...and it may be just me and I know I've only been here a little over a month, but I don't think it's right to only eat when you're hungry. My weight gain was due to only eating when I was hungry which was maybe twice a day, if that...it was even healthy food, but it didn't matter. My metabolism became virtually non-existant and I could put just 1 almond in my mouth and it would go straight to fat storage. Through this last month I've come to eat breakfast, a snack 2 hours later, lunch, another snack 2 hours later, dinner and a snack 2 hours later...constantly feeding my body, even when I wasn't hungry for it has given me the edge I've needed to get my metabolism back to a functioning state and the weight is gradually coming off by doing this.

Well... yeah you weren't hungry because you killed your metabolism. If you eat properly every 2.5 to 3 hours and consume clean, nutrient dense food while you are losing weight your metabolism will increase. Eventually with that increase you will either have to increase calorie consumption to slow weight loss and curb hunger pangs or understand that because your metabolism has increased you will feel hungry more frequently.
  • gnutrifitness
    @ Jlowry...Yes you're supossed to write what you planned to eat for the day, if you want to include the portion size, that's fine too....then at the end of the day you will write if you stick to it, if you added something, if you ate more than what you planned, etc....If so, you tell us why did you think you did it, at what time did you fall off the plan, etc....that will help you to understand in what situations, hours of the day you have more tendency to cheat, and what foods are involved....I think that helps to stick more to the plan and understand our bodies...
  • Jessica_Lo
    OoOoO this is great. I always end up thinking twice about what I eat based on who sees it here. lol Only issue would be I don't normally have dinner planned out but I'll work on that.

Ok so today.

Breakfast
    Egg with toast (ketchup of course cause who eats an egg without it ;)
    Tea....honey with lemon

lunch
    chicken salad on toast (salad includes tostitos spinach dip)

snacks
    bagel mini with laughing cow
    apple
    fiber one 90 cal bar
    coffee w creamer

dinner....TBD most likely chicken salad sandwich since it's already made and I have a class tonight.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Ok...

Tomorrow:

Breakfast: Oatibix cereal or Porridge with Soya milk, cup of tea with splenda.

Lunch: Home made banana Protein shake.

Dinner: Not sure yet!! Will pick something healthy... I promise!! Maybe chicken salad?

Snack: Raisins.

I'll be a happy bunny if I can stick to this and avoid the cookie jar!!

Good luck everyone :drinker:
  • gnutrifitness
    So this will be my first day and my plan meals are:

Snack 1: Orange
    Dinner: Hummus + Veggies + 1 oz low fat mozzarella cheese

I woke up late (10:30 am), so I ate my first meal too late...That's why dinner is small... This week I'll be cutting starchy carbs a little and sodium too, because next week I'm taking a vacation and I will be wearing my bikiny, so I want to look leaner and lose some water weight (I'm in TOM right now)...

So if you're in post your plan meal, and in the end of the day, comment if you stick to it or if you indulged!!...Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I finish my day!! Well finally it was:

Snack 1: Orange + 1/4 c yogurt (added, this wasn't planned)
    Dinner: 1 oz low fat mozzarella cheese...Skip the veggies and hummus (I had a late lunch and wasn't hungry)

I think I did it pretty good, but I skipped part of my dinner because I was barely hungry, I ate lunch at almost 4 pm, because I woke up too late, so late breakfast and late lunch:grumble: ...The only cheat I had was 1 square dark 73% chocolate, which is almost everyday in my diet, because I love it and it kill my sweet tooth, so I won't give it up!...What about you girls???...We can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Here is my $2 (inflation :tongue: ). I used to eat only when hungry, as someone else pointed out, it only slowed my metabolism further so anytime I ate anything it was stored. In the last year, I have changed that, though. I started with my goal to workout and not get bigger than I already was. I wanted to tone, strengthen, firm and just get healthy - but slowly: let my body reform, reprogram, regenerate.
    And guess what I found out: muscles are hungry little suckers :tongue: I eat at least 6 times per day: a couple mini-meals and some regular meals but I do NOT skip meals (unless I'm really sick which, knock on wood, hasn't happened since I changed my body).
    So, eating when I'm hungry is about every 2-3 hours and I only eat to be sated/comfortable. Granted, I have my off days when I eat for taste & greed, too, but it's no where near what it used to be.

For this challenge, since I get married in less than 2 weeks (:happy: ) I need to change some of my food choices & be a bit more mindful so I don't go overboard just on taste. It is VERY doeable - especially since I want to look my best on the best day of my life :happy:

Good luck to all who take the challenge in whatever manner suites your body, mind & soul :flowerforyou:
  • gnutrifitness
    Hi pals! Today my day looks like this:

Breakfast: 1/2 c eggwhites with veggies and nitrite free ham + Coffee with 1%milk
    Snack: Orange
    Lunch: Stir fry (Broccoli, Sprouted peas, red bell pepper, onion) + chicken breast + soy sauce + sesame seeds
    Snack: Homemade Granola bar + Hot protein latte
    Dinner: Eggplant parmigiana with tomatoes and 1 oz low fat mozzarella cheese

I hope to follow it perfectly today!! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Jessica_Lo
    OoOoO this is great. I always end up thinking twice about what I eat based on who sees it here. lol Only issue would be I don't normally have dinner planned out but I'll work on that.

Ok so today.

Breakfast
    Egg with toast (ketchup of course cause who eats an egg without it ;)
    Tea....honey with lemon

lunch
    chicken salad on toast (salad includes tostitos spinach dip)

snacks
    bagel mini with laughing cow
    apple
    fiber one 90 cal bar
    coffee w creamer

dinner....TBD most likely chicken salad sandwich since it's already made and I have a class tonight.

Oko so yesterday went as planned. Dinner was chicken salad sandwich and kettle corn popcorn. The only thing I did have was a slice of my cake for my class lastnight. I tried something new so I just had to taste it but no icing. Just the cake.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Today will be interesting cause I have a lunch date with my friend and not sure about dinner yet.

Breakfast
    Egg
    Toast
    Tea with Honey and lemon

Lunch
    Going to Panera with my friend. It will probably be soup and salad to not kill the calories for today

Dinner
    Not sure yet. Most likely the remaining chicken salad from yesterday.

Snacks
    Coffee w creamer
    apple
    fiber one bar
    Bagel mini w laughing cow wedge (however I am going to try to skip this today but I want to work out after work so it depends how I'm feeling later in the day)

No other treats today!! Pinky promise!!
  • gnutrifitness
    @Jessica Lo...Love soups! Make sure you don't order a creamy one, because it can contains creme, cheese, and other fatty foods= high calorie!!!...Also you can order your salad dressing appart, so you can control how much you put in to it...Just a few suggestions! Happy lunch:drinker:
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Well so far so good. Although my stomach has been driving me nuts today so tomorrow I will just have to play it by ear, I think I have a food allergy, something is setting of a nasty range of symptoms and I'm trying to work out what it is.

I had a reaction after a cup of TEA today!! So it could be the Milk or the tea, although I have already switched to decaf and I don't know if that could cause a reaction to anyone?!?! Hey ho, tomorrow I will avoid Tea, coffee and MILK so we shall see if that helps me.

Tomorrow I will aim for Breakfast of oatibix bites and soya milk again, as this seemed safe today.
    Lunch will have Something without milk??? God knows, would love another protein shake but my current protein powder is whey protein so I should avoid for now in case it's milk that's making me sick.
    Dinner Again, not sure, will have to find something that will be safe.

I think this challenge is getting tough for me as I can't really plan my food until I know what is safe to eat :grumble:

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. xx
  • Jessica_Lo
    @Jessica Lo...Love soups! Make sure you don't order a creamy one, because it can contains creme, cheese, and other fatty foods= high calorie!!!...Also you can order your salad dressing appart, so you can control how much you put in to it...Just a few suggestions! Happy lunch:drinker:

O yes. I LOVE some creamy soups but they are a NO/NO. lol The good thing about Panera is the cals are on the menu so I got the chicken noodle soup (100 cals) and ceasar salad (200 cals) I did not eat the french roll (150 cals). I asked them to leave it off the plate because my self control isn't very good but they tested me and put it on there anyway. GRRRR it was hard ignoring it but it wasn't on my "eating only when hungry challenge" so I ignored it. YAY me!! :)