Sugar, its everwhere!!!

Options
I have been dealing with a pleateu, so I am juggling my caloric intake and types of foods. I am trying to cut down on my carbs, but have found it so difficult to find foods without sugar and large amounts of carbs. Even the healthy cereals, such as Fiber One has no sugar, but lots of carbs. Yougart is another one. The Yoplait light has no fat, but 14g of sugar and carbs. I am finding that between one serving of ceral and a yogart for snack, I am already halfway through my sugar intake for the day and I haven't even had lunch! Even going the route of eating more fruit skyrockets the carbs and sugar. Any suggestions? I am totally frustrated!

Replies

• scrapdreams
    Options
    I have the same issues - a plateau and a sugar addiction. The best advice (although it is hard to follow sometimes) is to eat more vegetables and to stay away from the processed foods (cereal, granola bars - anything that comes in a crinkly package) and eat more foods in their natural state. Sugar from a piece of fruit is better for you than refined sugar added to a cereal.

I'll be interested to see what other advice you get because I'm really struggling too.
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! I've hit a plateau as well and was thinking the same thing about sugar & carbs. And since it's getting nicer i've been eating more fruit and that's when i began to basically stop losing! It's so crazy. I'm very interested to see what people have to suggest for this.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There is answer for you question.

You want a low sugar, low carb, low cal food. Eat vegetables.

Veggies, veggies, veggies.

My lunch and supper always have a heafty portion of vegetables. You can snack on vegetables. Eat vegetables.

limit your fruit to 2 portions per day, or else you will be taking in too much sugar.
  • vintagedream
    Options
    not sure about your diet but i eat hard boiled egg whites in the morning and as a snack through out the day as i need it. No fat, lots of protein and filling.
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I have been dealing with a pleateu, so I am juggling my caloric intake and types of foods. I am trying to cut down on my carbs, but have found it so difficult to find foods without sugar and large amounts of carbs. Even the healthy cereals, such as Fiber One has no sugar, but lots of carbs. Yougart is another one. The Yoplait light has no fat, but 14g of sugar and carbs. I am finding that between one serving of ceral and a yogart for snack, I am already halfway through my sugar intake for the day and I haven't even had lunch! Even going the route of eating more fruit skyrockets the carbs and sugar. Any suggestions? I am totally frustrated!

Go with kashi cereal if a cereal is a must for you and Greek yogurt, that is how I started and now I love Greek yogurt and use it for everything. It makes a great substitute for sour cream otherwise go with something totally different like eggs and egg whites with whole wheat toast and an apple. Best of luck that sugar is everywhere.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Processed food will load you up on carbs and sugar. I have a good sized slice of homemade multigrain bread every morning and am always well under my carbs number. Any food sweetened by the manufacturer (e.g. flavored yogurts, cereals, etc.) is going to have more sugar than necessary. I buy plain yogurt and sweeten it myself, either with honey or a teaspoon of all natural jam/jelly. You'd be amazed how much less sugar you ingest by sweetening it up yourself. If you can eliminate a couple of the processed foods from your diet you will likely see the numbers drop.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good tips! Please keep them coming! I have checked the Greek Yougart and it is full of sugar too! The tip on using jellies to add to your plain yougart is a great idea! What do you think of reduced fat peanut butter?
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is awesome and the sugar is bad but it is very high in protein so that's good! Reduced fat peanut butter is awesome