Breakfast & Snack Ideas

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to this (9 days) and wanted to ask about breakfast and snacks.
I find that I have a hard time eating a balanced breakfast. I have never been much of a breakfast person, until recently. I tend to eat a higher calorie breakfast but before lunch I am starving and it makes it hard to balance out the rest of the day. Also, snacks. I have never been one to eat several meals a day, just the 3 main ones and am finding it hard to squueze in the snacks/small meals to balance out.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    what are you eating for breakfast?? if you say high calorie but you're hungry... is it heavy carbs? i've eaten soy sausage patty w/a slice of cheese on 100 calorie english muffin... or 5 turkey sausage links.... or greek yogurt (Fage) w/berries and i'm good til lunch with just sometthing small in between.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    Have you had a look at the Hungry Girl website? She's got some great ideas on there for snacks (baked onion rings to name one) and breakfast (one of my favs-Egg McMuggin!). They're both great and tasty. I've also been wanting to try her White Pizza recipe, which looks good for lunch. Also another frequent snack I nibble on--string cheese and Almond Nut thins (seriously good gluten free crackers), so you get something a little salty with some protein. As you go along in your new eating journey, you'll find things that you like and that work for you! Good luck! It's not easy, but it's worth it!
  • ladydelicia
    ladydelicia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... for breakfast i usually just had coffee, maybe a bagel... then a small lunch and a barely there dinner.

I have found though that Oatmeal is a GREAT breakfast!!!! i jazz it up with cinnamon, and a lil equal and i actually stay full until about lunch. If i do get hungry in between, even if i dont actually, i cut up a cucumber, jicama, or baby carrots... same for my afternoon snack. along with those i have a nice cool glass of H2O with lemon....

now i love breakfast, moreso than dinner or lunch.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Probably best that breakfast be something that contains a lean protein, a healthy fat, and 1-2 servings (15-30 grams) of starchy carbs. A fruit can be added to this, although I tend to save mine for midmorning. This seems to hold me over fairly well til lunch.
  • camerons_mommy06
    Options
    Possibly, I tend to focus more on the calorie thing than the rest (I have never monitored anything until now).
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yoplait light yogurt (100 calories), my morning coffee, and then some fruit to eat as I get hungry before lunch have helped me. I also keep some boiled eggs handy because those are full of protein and help ward off hunger. Also, my sister informed me of some Vitatop muffins (they're in the freezer section of our grocery store or you can buy them online) are really satisfying for either a snack or breakfast and have only 100 calories, 0 fat. I try to keep a bag witha cup of grapes/strawberries on my desk and maybe a banana to help me make it until lunch.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am on the go in the morning but grabbing a hard boiled egg and a packet of instant oatmeal (microwaving the water for it only takes a few seconds and I can finish getting ready while it is soaking in) usually works for me. The oatmeal fills me up more but I am hungry more quickly and the egg helps me stay full longer. If you don't like eggs I would make sure to get some kind of protein it makes a big difference for me.
  • camerons_mommy06
    Options
    Have you had a look at the Hungry Girl website? She's got some great ideas on there for snacks (baked onion rings to name one) and breakfast (one of my favs-Egg McMuggin!). They're both great and tasty. I've also been wanting to try her White Pizza recipe, which looks good for lunch. Also another frequent snack I nibble on--string cheese and Almond Nut thins (seriously good gluten free crackers), so you get something a little salty with some protein. As you go along in your new eating journey, you'll find things that you like and that work for you! Good luck! It's not easy, but it's worth it!

No, I have not tried looking at the site. Sounds like I need to though :) Thanks for the post.
  • Roxytoy
    Roxytoy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like the Better Oats oatmeal. You can get a variety that is called "OatFit". It has no added sugar and is only 100 calories. I have that (eat slowly) and I have a cup of coffee with half and half at about 6:30 am. That usually lasts me until about 10. I bring to work with me a fruit or yogurt. Apples give you lots of energy and do not pack a ton of calories. Another one I really like is the little clementine oranges. Try to plan for one "big" meal. If it be lunch or dinner... just make a plan ahead of time so you can monitor your other calories for that meal- that way, you can still eat what you like and want AND lose weight. I think it makes it easier to stick with your plan if you are eating things you like. Once you get started you will be surprised how easy it is, especially when that weight starts going down- very motivational!!

Good luck!
  • camerons_mommy06
    Options
    Yoplait light yogurt (100 calories), my morning coffee, and then some fruit to eat as I get hungry before lunch have helped me. I also keep some boiled eggs handy because those are full of protein and help ward off hunger. Also, my sister informed me of some Vitatop muffins (they're in the freezer section of our grocery store or you can buy them online) are really satisfying for either a snack or breakfast and have only 100 calories, 0 fat. I try to keep a bag witha cup of grapes/strawberries on my desk and maybe a banana to help me make it until lunch.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Good idea, never thought about the hard boiled eggs. I will try to look for the muffins too. Tomorrow is my grocery shopping day ( I started my journey in between my grocery shopping weeks(i shop every 2 weeks, military pay days lol) so I have tried to use what I had but be sensible as well.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have been eating instant oatmeal. But then i notice my cholesterol is high. Do need to worry about that or not.