Overnight Eating

Options
I can do great all day however I wake up in the middle of the night and want to eat... and I do. I wind up going for something quick like cookies or a donut or something of course that is not healthy because it's quick to eat. So I eat and I go back to bed, but I sometimes don't even realize that I'm doing it, then in the morning I am pissed because I just ate hundreds of calories that I tried so hard not to eat all day long.

Does anyone else have this issue or any advice on how to help it?

Replies

• mollymoo89
    Options
    I do! My issue is that I'll do good all day and then get ready for bed. However, I feel the munchies and it's like I'll go downstairs and binge. I usually eat about 300 calories, so it's not that bad. I think what I'm going to start doing is having more apples on hand so when I do feel like I'm hungry and want to eat late at night I'll eat an apple instead.
  • anniehoffman
    Options
    My best advice would be to not have those things available to you. You can't wake up and eat a cookie if there are no cookies to eat. So don't buy them.
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    Get outta my head!!!! Sounds like you are talking about what I struggle with.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating something to curb your cravings right before bed. I know it's not the best to eat that late, but if it saves you from those midnight donuts, then it's probably worth it!

Try some sherbet, or some non-fat vanilla yogurt with a frozen fruit in it. Or caramel rice cakes or something sweet but healthy.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's how I am. If it's in the house I WILL EAT IT! SO I don't buy junk food so I can't eat it. I figure if I want something bad that if I have to go out to get it I am less likely to follow through! :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to get rid of the bad food in the house. No one in your house needs them, really.

Secondly, take a look at your diet.....perhaps if you consume less processed carbs, lots of fresh veggies and lean protein, you will sleep better. Regardless, if and when you do wake up, you need to not even leave the bedroom. You are in control, and if you want this bad enough you will have to put up the road blocks to fight it. Eventually, it will become easier and easier to where it is no longer a road block.

Good luck to you.
  • nquirico
    nquirico Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my husband does this. some mornings we wake up and there are CRUMBS!! in the bed and he has no recollection of getting up and eating but if i happen to wake up and 'catch him', he is awake and aware, just sleepy. so we started keeping healthy protein bars around. I find that he will wake up, open one, take a couple of bites and go back to sleep. usually in the morning there is half a bar left, so fewer calories = less guilt. Just a thought.
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not at my house???? I do the same exact thing - do great all day long - stay within my calorie range - eat completely healthy stuff & then 10 min before I go to bed - i raid the kitchen & eat anything with sugar, salt, or fat. Then if I eat something sweet, i have to eat something salty to counteract the taste - then something sweet again to get rid of the salty taste. and I agree about not having the stuff in the house BUT I live with my husband, who is not at all overweight, and keeps snack stuff around for his lunches - he burns approximately 8000 calories a day just at work so he eats a lot of snack food during the day to put high amounts of calories back in - he's 6' tall & weighs about 175 so we have the stuff around for his benefit - most of the time i can get him to buy stuff that I don't like so it's not a problem but every once in awhile - the little debbie nutty bars call my name before bed!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would suggest preparing something before you go to bed and make it easily accessible, so if you do get up and want something quick you will already have it there and you won't be tempted to reach for cookies or donuts. Put the thing you make on the counter and put the donuts and cookies in a hard to reach spot.
  • jennydehn
    jennydehn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who suggested not having those things in the house. I realize there are some things that are my weakness--if its here, it will get eaten--no doubt in my mind. A drug addict doesnt keep an eight-ball in his cupboard when he's trying to get clean. I also know i have to eat those thing once in a while to make sure I don't go crazy and binge out. So I buy things in single servings. YES...I realize its more expensive to do this if you figure it "per snack" but better to waste than to "waist" right?

If you have people in your house who can't sacrifice their use of your weakness snacks, ask them to hide em. :)
  • jssw2000
    Options
    I tried the not buying... but I have a husband and a son that don't need to lose weight and I don't want to deprive them of what they like, because unlike me they know how to eat in moderation without over doing it. I love all the posts and have some great ideas to try and avoid this.

thanks so much.... it really is a great thing to have people to bounce things off of :smile:
  • jssw2000
    Options
    I like the hiding idea... but I'm neurotic and will search the house if I know its there.... I know you all know what I mean with that.... but I like the idea of the granola bars..... at least then I know its sweet... and will hold my cravings and not be such a bad thing.....
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not getting enough nutrition in the evening. Kind of like babies who wake up in the night for milk :-) I definitely would try a bedtime snack. Maybe a greek yogurt, or a couple of peanut butter crackers - something with a balance of carbs, fat and protein.