Do you log everything?

Options
My parents were in town this weekend. This means we have happy hour every day at 5, along with cheese and crackers, and then we go out to dinner. Needless to say, my weekend was over on calories every day. Not as bad as I thought. Then again maybe I forgot a Girlscout Cookie here or there. :happy: I just completed my logs this afternoon and at one point I thought I may just leave them incomplete. I notice a lot of people are pretty diligent all week long on food logging and then leave Friday, Saturday, Sunday blank. For me, I am holding myself accountable. So then when I look back over my progress and try to figure out why I am or why I am not losing weight, I have a paper trail to help. I'm curious to get peoples' opinions on logging habbits?

Happy Monday! It's almost March. Spring is near!

Replies

• in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I log EACH AND EVERY DAY
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I log everything every day, the only day that I am thinking my be an exception is a holiday. Mainly because when everyone is cooking in a potluck way for a family get togethor it would be impossible to track.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm of the "log everything" mindset. Even when I'm not making great choices, it's good to be aware of what the "cost" of that delicious morsel is. So - I logged it all: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything. Every last bite as best I can.

I find that you have to be accountable all the time. No use only trying 4 or 5 days out of the week. What's the point? Even if I'm over, I still have to be held accountable for it.

It's 100% or nothing!!
  • ilbrabham
    Options
    I log my food at work on my lunch break. This gives me time to plan from what's in the fridge for dinner and I know exactly where I stand on my snacking.
    On Monday's it's hard to remember everything from the weekend, but I do my best. Weekends are where most of my "cheating" happens anyways, so I think they are the most important days to log. Even though it may not be the most accurate ("Did I have 2 or 3 glasses of wine of Friday?") I have to try my best.
  • denise980
    Options
    I log everything because, like you, I am holdin gmyself accountable for what I do. If I don't have the time to log a day, I will log it the next day and try my hardest to remember what I ate and did the day before. It does get tricky on weekends especially to remember, but I have myself in a pretty good schedule of going on here to log things. I just finished lunch, so it's off to logging it now.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've seen the "If you bite it, write it" quote on here a lot! I DEFINITELY log EVERYTHING....Even if it means that I'm "in the red" (which doesn't happen very often, but still!)....

I feel that it's important to be honest with myself! Just because I didn't track it, doesn't mean it doesn't count!!! My body still tracks everything that I consume!
  • eme31386
    eme31386 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log any and everything that goes into my mouth...sometimes I forget to log all my water consumption, but food is logged regardless. I used to skip days when I wasn't eating right, but now I understand that there is nothing to be embarrassed about, especially when I am making an honest effort to do better. I have noticed that logging in everything keeps me in check, I know I will have to see where my calorie count is everyday and I don't want to disappoint myself so I eat to live, not live to eat.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I log everything, every day. There has been a day or two where I haven't logged because I knew I went over, or a meal that I didn't log. But those are pretty few and far between.
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with holding yourself accountable. I do my best to log everything everyday. Then, when I get mopey because I haven't been losing weight I can look back on my bad days and say oohh yah, that's why. Otherwise, I forget how much I actually ate those days and brush them off as not as bad as they were lol.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i try and long everything, although on fridays or saturdays, i am guilty of logging everything i had, until i go out that night and go to the bar (and definatly blow all my good eating out the window) then come home late, and never log in what i drank.
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    LOG EVERYTHING or you are cheating yourself.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I strive to log everything, every day. It helps if I log it as soon as I eat it, or at least write it down if I'm not near my computer (I dont have a smart phone :sad: )

It definitely helps to spot trends and areas where I need to improve.

Edit: I log everything I eat...I need to work on logging what I drink, even though it's usually just water and unsweet tea. If I drink coffee, I always log the cream but usually not the coffee, since there aren't any cals in it lol
  • cab1204
    cab1204 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I log everything!!! You are only cheating yourself by leaving things out!!!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The truth will set you free!!! Good job!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I log everything, everyday no matter if I go over or not!!
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think it's really important to log all of your food on a daily basis. For me, I log as much as I can for the day first thing in the morning so that I have a game plan and know how much I need to workout to balance out my eating. Planning ahead has been a key to success for me. If you don't know what your day ahead holds, then I recommend logging your food as your go or at least at the end of each day. If you wait until Monday to log your whole weekend, you're bound to forget things.

As for the people who log Monday-Friday and then leave the weekend blank, I think they're sabatoging themselves. You can't eat well five days a week, binge all weekend, and still expect to get the results you want. Leaving the log blank doesn't make those calories disappear. Like you said, logging your food makes you be accountable for your food intake, and that's a crucial part of the weight loss process.

Best of luck!
  • eme31386
    eme31386 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log everything because, like you, I am holdin gmyself accountable for what I do. If I don't have the time to log a day, I will log it the next day and try my hardest to remember what I ate and did the day before. It does get tricky on weekends especially to remember, but I have myself in a pretty good schedule of going on here to log things. I just finished lunch, so it's off to logging it now.

That's great that you have yourself on a schedule, when you fail to plan in essence you are planning to fail. I also have noticed that when I am eating healthy it is much easier to log and remember what I ate and the amounts.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i log everything .. everyday.. faithfully ... (i would feel like something was missing if i did not *L*)

in fact i log it twice.. sorta... first i use the food diary as a menu planner to figure out what i can have and what i can fit in still.. then once i have the meal i adjust the amounts as and if needed.
    That way no unpleasant surprises by end of the day *LOL*
  • LisaYoung44
    Options
    I think you are wise and by logging you are accountable. My goal for the next month..Keep it up..