Not so happy

Options
I'm in a rut. I lost my first 15 pounds in about a month, then slowly another five over the past five weeks or so.
In the past 5 or 6 days, I've gained five pounds back.
Not so happy about this.

Replies

• sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    I think you've gained muscle =) remember muscle weighs more than fat and it's better because it will help you burn fat faster.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Make sure you log your food and exercise everyday. It will really help you keep on track. Do you have a smartphone? To make it easier, there is an app for Blackberry, Android, and iPhone.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing other changes? Like smaller measurements, more energy??? I know its hard when you want to see the scale move, but our bodys don't always do what we want. Remember it takes time to lose weight....and the longer it takes the better your chances of keeping it off. Good luck
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat:grumble: . I lost 10lbs my first month and now only 2 this month. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint, just re-evaluate what you have been doing and see if you can tweek it a bit (more exercise, more water), etc. Are you doing measurements, because even though I am only down 2lb this month I lost 2" off my waist.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You didn't really say what you've been doing exercise/food wise... but I took a look at your food diary, and you're not consistently logging your food. I find that the best way to get back on track is to be very diligent about tracking food/water intake, and not allowing yourself to make any excuses. Make a plan for your meals/snacks and decide when/how you're going to get exercise in. Good luck! :drinker: You CAN turn this around - but you have to do your part.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sodium can kick you in the bun like that. check your log, that may be the problem.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just in the last week you haven't at least on here tracked your food, looking back farther you were doing more tracking previously when the losses were happening.
    If you're not tracking at least watch your portion sizes, I'm still tracking daily as I retrain myself to what a proper serving of things is.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Did you relax? You know what I mean? I lost the first 10 pretty easy and then rested on my laurels. I cut back from 60 to 45 at the gym - oh a piece of this won't hurt - that kind of relaxed. This is hard work. And constant work.

Stay here - we'll help ya!!!
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You're right - I haven't been great about logging. This is a habit I get into: I log for a couple months, then I get to the point where I say, I'm pretty much eating the same things every day, so I don't need to log it. I'm trying to get back into it. I am exercising regularly: 45 minutes on the elliptical 4-5 days a week. I don't think the weight gain comes from muscle, as I haven't been doing any weight training, only cardio.

I know/knew I couldn't expect the rapid weight loss to continue, but I didn't expect to lose 5 weeks of work in one week.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It's just denser. So when you replace fat with muscle, you may not lose weight, but you will be slimmer and leaner. You will also burn more calories. The best thing to do is to keep measurements as well as track your weight. You might gain a pound or two from just daily fluctuations. That is normal. You will fluctuate between 1-3 lbs daily sometimes.

I would go back through your food diary. Look at what you're eating. If you're indulging a little more than usual, then make an effort to cut out all bad foods and be super strict about eating healthy foods only for 2 weeks straight. If you can do that, and exercise, you should see some weight come off. If the scale isn't moving, but you're losing inches, don't worry. You'll see the scale catch up to what you see in the mirror.

The most important thing is to not give up. Giving up gets you only one place, back to where you started. Keep at it and tweak your diet. Tweak your exercise. Everyone is different so experiment to see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I know/knew I couldn't expect the rapid weight loss to continue, but I didn't expect to lose 5 weeks of work in one week.

Although we don't know for sure, since you haven't logged your food, I HIGHLY doubt you put on an actual 5 lbs of fat in 1 week. That would require you to consume 17,500 calories above your *maintenance* level over the course of the week. Chances are, at least some of that is water weight. Up your water intake and get back on track with tracking your food to make sure you're still where you need to be. You'll be back down in no time.
  • ralevin
    Options
    wait, really? up my water intake to lower water weight?
    I don't get that....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    wait, really? up my water intake to lower water weight?
    I don't get that....

If your sodium/water balance is out of whack (sodium too high) the body retains extra water. This can be caused by too much sodium intake or dehyrdation (not drinking enough water in general). If you up your water intake, it will get your levels back to normal, and your body can let go of some of what it has retained.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    1st: I think you caloric goal is too low. 1700 isn`t enough for a big guy like you and me.

Your body needs about 3700 calories per day to maintain weight if you exercise 4-5 days per week.

if you ate 2500 calories per day every day you would lose about 2.5 lbs per week. Thats how i do it. If you only give your body 1700 cal it will not get enough nutrients and your weight loss will stop.

2nd. Start doing some weight training. Use some of the machines, use the dumbells, get an exercise routine. This will add muscle to your frame. once you have muscle, the muscle burns up fat. So the more muscle you have, the more calories your body consumes.

Cardio is great, but cardio combined with weight training is excellent. Combine cardio/weights and proper nutritionand you get a sure fire way to lose weight, permanently.

having muscle will also help keep the weight off once you lose it, which is obviously a problem you have been having. Start building muscle.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options

You almost definitely didn't lose the progress in one week. You may be up a pound or two, with the rest being water retention or natural fluctuation.

I log my weight every day, and haven't gone over my calories since the first day I started. My chart looks like this. --> http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j99/Yunalookalike/Kali-1.jpg

It doesn't go straight down. Slowly, new low numbers start appearing, and the old highs start disappearing.
  • ralevin
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the great information - the sodium/water thing makes more sense now, as does the fluctuation. I know the weight fluctuates, but it's been 3 or 4 days in a row now that it has been going up. Nevertheless, I won't give up, and will push through.

As far as the calorie intake goes, I aim for 1720 NET calories a day. When I work out, I eat back at least some of the calories I burn. (I usually aim for eating half of them - I find it hard to believe that I actually burn 800 calories in 45 minutes of elliptical training, so I figure eating half of those is safe.
  • anniebnannie
    anniebnannie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm in a rut. I lost my first 15 pounds in about a month, then slowly another five over the past five weeks or so.
    In the past 5 or 6 days, I've gained five pounds back.
    Not so happy about this.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me! And no I haven't done anything different.... I lost 10 + lbs in 5 weeks. In the 6th week I started gaining a lb at a time back. UGH! It was disappointing and so I am trying to stay positive. My doctor said if I lose a few pounds a month I'm doing great and it will stay off - if it's FAST loss it will come back and then some. I'm hoping she's right :-)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    You're right - I haven't been great about logging. This is a habit I get into: I log for a couple months, then I get to the point where I say, I'm pretty much eating the same things every day, so I don't need to log it. I'm trying to get back into it. I am exercising regularly: 45 minutes on the elliptical 4-5 days a week. I don't think the weight gain comes from muscle, as I haven't been doing any weight training, only cardio.

I think you might need to switch it up. Eating the same exact thing....exercising the same exact way.....sounds like your body is on cruise control.

Can you do any kind of strength training?
  • ralevin
    Options
    I'm actually thinking of getting power 90 (not p90x). I'll be posting another thread asking people about it.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm not worried. In fact I upped my cals for a bit.