Famous Dave's!

Options
ready4change
ready4change Posts: 151 Member
I'm eating at Famous Dave's tonight for my brother's birthday & I'm running a little stuck on what to eat. Any suggestions?!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken-but you have to tell them to not slather it in sauce--that sauce contains a lot of sugar and carbs. Also ask them for steamed veggies---noit sure if they have it on their menu but I am pretty sure they have it for people who actually care about their health. Skip the fries and coleslaw, bread, and beans. Those beans are drenched in bbq sauce, which again, is sugar coated.
  • Dthgod
    Options
    I suggest going to their website and finding what you are willing to eat for the calories. You can also treat this as a "special" occasion and splurge...a little. yet if your willpower isn't up to that preplanning your meal is the way to go.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but I worked at Famous Dave's back when I was in high school. I would recommend getting a glass of water--maybe a beer--and enjoying something when you go home.
    -wtk

Edit: In response to a few previous posts: Most of the vegetable dishes are in plastic baggies with butter and water that are thrown into microwaves to get that "authentic steamed" texture. Ordering a dish "naked" means no sauce, but if you got ribs or chicken they still season it which would be relatively high in salt.

Sugar content aside, baked beans is a pretty conservative side dish. Or a baked potato with nothing on it?

Edit 2: The Diablo sauce is vinegar based--not tomato based--and has a lot less sugar. It still has a lot of salt and is obviously going to be the spiciest of the group.
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    You can find nutritional values online for their food! My favorite is rip tips-3 oz is 260 calories-but you have to watch your portions, which is difficult there!
    One thing I will say is stay away from the corn muffin-just that alone is 258 calories and isn't very filling! You could eat 2x the rib tips! :) Just the way I think!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Last time I got the Ghar Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Wilbur Beans as a side.

Sandwich is 510 calories
    Wilbur Beans are 150 calories

Another option is the Sassy BBQ Chicken Salad (Lunch Portion), no sides - 540 calories

It's really hard to come up with something there. :(
  • mislove68
    Options
    There was a recent commercial for the citrus stuff that was under 600 calories. i have been meaning to look at that to see what they are.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    they have a char-gilled chicken sandwich. I used to eat that when i dieted the first time. ask if you can get something instead of the french fries tho.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    They have a "crispy chicken" salad that I order but I have them use grilled chicken, leave the potato strings off and put the dressing on the side! It's so yummy!!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Another heads up from a former employee, the Honey Barbeque dressing is a 50-50 mix of Honey Mustard Dressing and the "Rich and Sassy" sauce.
    -wtk
  • bodzio4062
    Options
    Get a stake or salmon or whatever meat you like... just skip the potatoes, rice and bread. Heck... celebrate and get a cheesecake or tiramisu (share it if you must).
    Dieting is no a religion, where you need to suffer. Just be smart about eating. Having a treat .... from time to time ... will not kill your program. It is not a sprint, it is a marathon, right?
    I had a tiramisu yesterday and .... lost two pounds this morning. :)

Don't worry, be happy.... and healthy!
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!