I'm trying Pilates today for the first time, and boy am I ne

Options
Yikes! You'd think I was getting ready for an interview with as nervous as I am.

I hope I'm ready for this. I plan to sit in the back corner of the room so I can sneak out early if I can't keep up.

About 15 minutes until I head out. YIKES:ohwell:

Let's hope I don't fall down, screw up, pull a muscle, or (heaven forbid) poot during class!!:laugh:

WISH ME LUCK FOLKS!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yikes! You'd think I was getting ready for an interview with as nervous as I am.

I hope I'm ready for this. I plan to sit in the back corner of the room so I can sneak out early if I can't keep up.

About 15 minutes until I head out. YIKES:ohwell:

Let's hope I don't fall down, screw up, pull a muscle, or (heaven forbid) poot during class!!:laugh:

WISH ME LUCK FOLKS!!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Get positive! :flowerforyou: You'll be fine, I'm sure of it! I love pilates........:bigsmile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates. I use to do them a few times a week using a video tape.

I haven't done them in a while. I need to find a DVD with them on it.

Nothing will make you feel stronger, slimmer and more healthy.
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I love pilates and I love the way it tones. At first it is hard but just stick with it and you will get better, It does get easier also as you learn the moves. Good luck
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If your idea is to hide in back to sneak out you should do just the opposite.

GO RIGHT UP FRONT!

Why? Because you don't want to let yourself give up. Put yourself in a position in the class where you'll be out there and where the instructor can really help you out if your form needs correction. Just because someone corrects you doesn't mean that you "suck," it means that they want to make sure you are getting the most from your workout, that you won't hurt yourself, and that you'll get a feeling for the moves so that you can get better at them each week.

REMEMBER... WHEN TAKING EXERCISES CLASSES YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE PERFECT THE FIRST TIME. You may not even be perfect 6 months down the road... but if we don't challenge ourselves then how do we expect our bodies to change? You had to FAIL in order to SUCCEED. Make sense?

Let us know how it went. If you did leave early... I want you to go back there next week and set up at the front of the class. Tell the instructor that you are new and would love to be shown modifications that will help you get the most from the moves, but also to improve and work towards the full moves.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I bought a pilates dvd at the beginning of summer, which still sits in the wrapper......maybe I'll join you and pop that dvd in today!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    If your idea is to hide in back to sneak out you should do just the opposite.

GO RIGHT UP FRONT!

Why? Because you don't want to let yourself give up. Put yourself in a position in the class where you'll be out there and where the instructor can really help you out if your form needs correction. Just because someone corrects you doesn't mean that you "suck," it means that they want to make sure you are getting the most from your workout, that you won't hurt yourself, and that you'll get a feeling for the moves so that you can get better at them each week.

REMEMBER... WHEN TAKING EXERCISES CLASSES YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE PERFECT THE FIRST TIME. You may not even be perfect 6 months down the road... but if we don't challenge ourselves then how do we expect our bodies to change? You had to FAIL in order to SUCCEED. Make sense?

Let us know how it went. If you did leave early... I want you to go back there next week and set up at the front of the class. Tell the instructor that you are new and would love to be shown modifications that will help you get the most from the moves, but also to improve and work towards the full moves.

Thanks for that tough love!
    And thank you all for the support.

I went and did it and only had to stop early on one move. Held my ground and pushed through till the end on the rest.

Turns out it was a small class (I was 1 of 6) so there was no hiding! The instructor was great to watch for me, but since I've done yoga, my form is pretty decent.

And I'll admit it --- I HAD FUN!! :tongue:

I'll be going back next Thursday (er, the Thursday after.... instructor is out next week).
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yay! Awesome *high fives* :)
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Good job.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    YEY YOU!!!! How fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    UPDATE: Day after class.

My thighs are very angry with me.
    I hear the hamstrings talking mutiny.
    They mutter it every time I stand, sit down, or take the stairs.

Ow ow ow!!

Thank goodness the rest of my body isn't so angry with me for doing that class. If any more muscles joined in cahoots with my angry hamstrings, I'd be in big trouble today! :laugh: