discouraged: I only lost 2lbs in a month =/

Options
I've been following the regiment for a month on this site only failing to sign in periodically...but even then still doing well to stay on track. I've measured myself and can't tell if I've lost any inches in the last month if i did it was minimal. I've been staying between 1100-1400 calories. I've been burning on average 900-1500 calories daily
Drinking more 8 glasses of water and taking vitamins daily. I've only lost 2 pounds! Im very overweight and everyday when i complete my journal the calculations claim i should lose 25lbs in 5 weeks!

Replies

• scjohnson420
    scjohnson420 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. only lost 2 lbs in 30 days...
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    so after exercise, you are only getting 200 to -100 calories a day??
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself. And you can look at it this way. This is a month you didn't gain. Hang in there sometimes it takes your body time to adjust.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your calories? There is a chance your body feels it isn't getting enough fuel after that intense burn.

I am not sure what you are eating, so I can't help you there, but have you talked to your doctor about it? Your thyroid may be off.
  • MoM2LayLa09
    MoM2LayLa09 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've lost 6 but it was all in week 1. since then i've gained and then lost gained then lost...
    i guess just keep going at it... change up the routine ... try something new.. if you are eating the same things everyday switch it up... but i'm in the same boat too so all I can say is don't give up! its gotta come off at some point, right?!
  • jen0125
    jen0125 Posts: 53
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

read the four suggested links here, esp the first one!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's possible you aren't eating enough. Although there is debate about it, you can/should eat your workout calories back. IMHO, if you're exercising that many calories away, you should probably be eating back 1/2 of them. If your body thinks it's being starved, it will hold onto everything that goes in to ward off starvation.
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    so after exercise, you are only getting 200 to -100 calories a day??

With u on this one jen! Sounds like u may not be getting enough calories so ur body is going into starvation mode. U won't lose weight like that. Try to make sure ur staying around 1200 after exercise and everything
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Same here..its getting pretty discouraging as I have been doing really well, both on my diet and exercise. I am hoping that maybe my body is just adjusting to the workouts and maybe its muscle gain... I hope!! You are not alone. But it took more than a short time to get to where we are....it will take hard work to get it off. Thats what I have to tell myself to keep going. We CAN do this!
  • kkt9999
    kkt9999 Posts: 4
    Options
    If it is telling you you should loose 25 pounds in five weeks you are way under eating....The goal should 1 to 2 pounds a week, so maybe at the most it should say 10 pounds in five weeks.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your current weight and what's your goal weight? Also how many pounds do you have MFP set at to lose per week? With this info, we will all be able to give you better answers.. I am guessing you are actually not having enough calorie intake if you're burning that many daily and not eating your exercise cals... you're probably burning off muscle and not fat.
  • pickle41
    pickle41 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel your disappointment, in two month I lost 4 lbs, I was logging in everyday and making sure I was very connected to the site. Then my mom passed away and I have now gained it back, it was hard to make myself get back on here to log in and track. But I have now for two or three days, it really does help knowing that I have support from others going through the same thing. But now I'm gonna try something a little different.. Not eating bread, potatoes, noodles,, i guess anything with a lot of carbs. So i feel your pain, just keep logging on and trying, one day you will have big results... Good Luck.
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    wow girl you are determined!but apparently so is your weight!but your burning SO many calories which is great but you should consider eating more to catch up with those calories not saying go eat a tub of ice cream try eating like some extra fruits or nuts it could be a big source to your problems.
    water lessen it sometimes 8 glasses is to much cause then think about it your maintaining it specially if you don't pee a lot.
    I have 4-6 glasses,a 2 glasses of tea or soda but I pee like 10-20 times a day.not kidding.
    and since we're women our periods have a HUGE effect on big loss add some extra calories in at that time.
    and another huge thing do NOT eat the same things everyday!don't I learned that your body will get used to that food and one you'll maintain or gain
    eat something different everyday don't be in a routine
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to loose 2 lbs in 30 days!!! It is still a loss! Way to go!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Please don't feel offended by the following...just trying to help: :wink:

Maybe you are not aware enough of the amounts your meals consists of?
    Maybe your not logging to strictly and leave out on or another snack?

Even though I used to eat more healthy the past year, I lost control of the amounts.
    For example: I Would have never thought that wheat sandwich bread has that much calories. Making a sandwich in the toast oven...and BAM 4x90kcal...just for the bread.

If you really log every gram of your intake it should work...somehow :)
  • DavyRockhit
    DavyRockhit Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding and the encouragement. I was so upset i talked to a trainer at my gym...she confirmed what most of u said... Not enough calories...this was confusing to me since i was following what this site said for intake..but im gonna increase up to 2000 calories and see what march brings
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I gained 4 lbs since joining a gym. I have gym equipment at home but I thought more weight variety and being with others would help. My measurements increased and I have to drive there with so much else going on in my life but now I am logging in a notebook every bite of anything and on this site too. I think writing down my feelings and what I eat may help but to work out 2 hours a day and still gain in size and weight I have got to have some kind of Thyroid thing giong on...I will just keep trying.. My new goal is stay within 1200 cal daily no matter what and more water
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I too was not eatting enough calories. I wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch. I would just eat dinner. I never really snaked on much, BUTI was drinking too many empty calories (i.e. vodka with different kinds of fruit juices). I gained ALOT of weight doing this. I also found out I had an underactive thyroid a few months ago and was put on medicantion for this, but I'm still not noticing any difference with my weight loss. So, I am trying to eat my 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks AND limiting my alcohol intake. I have just started this journey and I have over 100lbs to lose. I actually find it hard some times to eat breakfast and lunch, but I know I have to get used to it. Hopefully with and increased intake of calories to get my metabolisim working again and limiting my alcohol intake the lbs will start to come off.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding and the encouragement. I was so upset i talked to a trainer at my gym...she confirmed what most of u said... Not enough calories...this was confusing to me since i was following what this site said for intake..but im gonna increase up to 2000 calories and see what march brings

First of all....good job on the exercise!!!!!

The site was probably giving you more than what you were thinking. If you were set at 1200 as a base and burning 900 cals/day, the site would be telling you to eat 2100 calories including your exercise calories. Don't be concerned if you see a gain for a little while after starting back at a higher level - it's just your body readjusting to the big increase in calories. It will settle down again and you will start to lose more and sustain the loss. Try and make sure to spread your food out over the day and you will start to see a loss again :)

At 25lbs lost in 5 weeks, you would have to consume 87500 calories less than you actually need over that period of time. That's 2500 calories (that's what I would burn just being in a coma - and I'm about 80lbs overweight) less per day which would indicate to your body that there is a scarcity of food around - save the reserves (aka stored fat) since we're going to need to ration it out. Who knows how long this famine will last? LOL If you stick to the 2000/day and are very careful about logging everything (make sure you're not overestimating food intake or exercise burn), you will eventually see quite the loss.

BTW - depending on how far you are from your goal weight 2lbs in a month is not terrible. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but really, think about things in your life that weigh 2lbs (grab two 2lbs of butter and put them on the counter). See how much room they take up and imagine sticking that to your butt.....2lbs is an accomplishment!!!
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    As someone else said are you logging everything? It is amazing. Before I would think nothing of eating 2 sandwhiches, now I will eat one.

Ezekiel 4:9 - Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Bread - Bread, 2 Slice 160 30 1 8 6 150
    Bananas - Raw, 0.5 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 45 12 0 1 1 1
    Nuts to You Nut Butter Inc. - Organic Pumpkin Seed Butter, 15 g 80 2 7 5 1 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 285 44 8 14 8 151

2 slices sprouted grain bread, half a banana and 1 tbsp of organic pumpkin butter comes in at a whopping 285 calories. Eat 2 and your at 600 for the day almost. Personally for me when I eat every 2 to 3 hours 7 meals a day all about 200 to 300 calories I do the best.