Fitness apps for Android

atomiclauren
atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I'd like some feedback/recommendations for the best fitness tracking apps for Android phones. I have used Endomondo and RunKeeper, and I just downloaded CardioTrainer. I Googled that for me but I'd like some personal input here from current users and what you find helpful and generally like/dislike about the applications.
I of course love free apps but if it's great, I'll pay!

So far - RunKeeper was easy to use and the interface was nice, but on my phone (HTC Hero) the lady's voice for beginning and end of workout is *extremely loud* and there is no way to silence it!!

Endomondo - interface okay, but I haven't explored all of its features.

TIA!

Replies

• atomiclauren
    Oh, also downloaded My Tracks. This is getting complicated!
  • atomiclauren
    Alrighty...well, I'm going to use Endomondo on my run after work mainly because of RunKeeper's irritating volume issue. Good thing is, I can export and import .gpx files between the two apps (on the web sites) if I decide to use one over the other.

Also, I deleted My Tracks - great if all you want is map data sent to Google, but I like the functionality of the others better.
  • rhan90
    rhan90 Posts: 26 Member
    I love cardiotrainer :) It seems to be quite accurate and consistent with the gps readings. I don't use it for the voice directions though, I just use it to see how far I went and roughly how fast.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    I like endomondo too as I looked at it to compare it with the symbian one, but I've had cardiotrainer for ages and can't complain. I love it and I can't imagine living without it now. Cardiotrainer all the way. I only have the free one as it has enough for me now, but would actually considered paying for it if I could not have the free one anymore. They have these little cute things like move your bot or around thanksgiving they had burn the turkey and now they have the same with box of chocolates. You have to burn 3000 cals to empty it on your screen. You can also share your results with your friends and all your workouts are saved on your google health if you open an account......like I said, cardiotrainer all the way.

Oh and you can turn the voice off. I have HTC legend (just love the lip on those phones, lol). Also you can set your music player to start with the workout.......just brilliant. I looked at the other things like calorific and lose weight and they are brilliant, but as I've fallen in love with MFP, I am actually not using them.........but they are still great. And all part of cardiotrainer and free.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    I love cardiotrainer :) It seems to be quite accurate and consistent with the gps readings. I don't use it for the voice directions though, I just use it to see how far I went and roughly how fast.

Cardio trainer
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

I have used tons, Runkeeper, others can't remember names of all, I found and liked CardioTrainer the most. I liked it so much I bought it. Love the Facebook sharing intergration. Speaking of that, few months ago I turned it on while driving home from work then posted it on my FB. Sooo many WTF's comments from my friends :laugh:
  • atomiclauren
    Wow - I had taken off CardioTrainer but readded it and will try it this week. Looks like it's between that and Endomondo now for me..

The only turnoff so far about CardioTrainer is that I wasn't able to import .gpx from Endomondo so I just manually added them (no maps, but just for the few I've imported from the last couple weeks).

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll report back after trying out CardioTrainer :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    I've been using endomondo. Never heard of Cardio trainer... I'll have to check it out.
  • Snelllee
    Snelllee Posts: 23 Member
    I use cardio trainer and love it. I like that I can download my music to it so I don't have to carry my phone and ipod on my run. I mainly use it to keep track of how fast I run my miles so I can add my exercise into myfitnesspal. The calories burned are always the same as on here though.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    With cardio trainer, it also gives you a code to check your tracks and other stuff on line.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    I just downloaded the free version of Runkeeper and used it for the first time last night. I like that I can program a custom workout into Runkeeper and it will give me coaching/cues during my walk/run. I'm doing C25K, so I programmed in the intervals for my current week and the app tells me when to change from running to walking. I've only used it once, but it seemed to work well. I had been using the C25K Android app (which does nothing but tell you when to change from running to walking) but a couple of times it paused unexpectedly mid-workout without my noticing and screwed me up.

I looked at Cardiotrainer and Endomondo but I didn't see where I could program a custom workout into the free versions of those. Am I wrong? Is there a way to do that on the other apps that I'm missing?
  • atomiclauren
    So it has been about a month and I'm sticking with CardioTrainer - easy to use, usually reliable gps tracking, and I like the idea of the idea of the music integration (though I have yet to try it).
  • Depends on what you're wanting to track really. Endomondo and Runkeeper are great for runners (non-treadmill). Cardiotrainer works well for treadmill runs (has a pedometer feature) as well as other activities, but lacks some of the mapping features that the previous two have.

I use MFP as a food diary and Cardiotrainer to track my treadmill runs and manual entry of other exercises (love the calories/week feature). Endomondo is what I use running outdoors. I use Jefit to find new strength exercises. Guess what I'm saying is that I've yet to find an app that does everything well.
This discussion has been closed.