Eating disorder support?

Options
Hey guys. I'm quite nervous about posting this, but here goes :/
I'm 17, and I have EDNOS, which stands for Eating Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified. What that means for me is that I think about food ALL the time, am obsessed with losing weight and exercising, and i hate my body. I'm trying to lose weight healthily, not binging or restricting, but I'm finding it quite hard because I've got nobody to talk to.
I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone else here who has an eating disorder but is trying to lose weight in a healthy way? Anyone i can talk to?
I feel kinda stupid because I'm not the 'typical' eating-disordered person, like I'm not extremely thin or overweight, I'm just kind of average. It's just that I can't cope with what's supposed to be a normal weight for my age and height.

Replies

• daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Welcome! I think you are right, you do need someone to talk to. Are others in your family aware of the challenges you experience with food?

My suggestion is to talk with a professional. Some options are:

- doctor
    - school counselor
    - if you are in college there is usually free counseling
    - support groups
    - private therapist (through insurance)

Best of luck!
  • KierstyPants
    KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have a disorder, but i know for sure i'm here to talk to :) all the time.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You deserve big hugs for being so open about your eating disorder. I know it's very hard to talk about. Especially for people with eating disorders, the most important step to healthy weight loss is having your doctor involved in the process, to approve your goal and monitor your progress. Beyond that, it's important to remember to eat your calorie budget, and eat back your exercise calories; to work out regularly without overdoing it; and to find a good support network. I may not know exactly what you're going through but if you ever want someone to talk to, I'm here. :flowerforyou:
  • amberchristi
    Options
    Several years ago I was professionally diagnosed as suffering from "food addiction" - same symptoms that you describe from your own experience - obsession with food, calorie counting, meal planning, distorted body image, etc. My weight ballooned and I was pretty much out of control for a few years. My addiction still causes severe stress and depression at times, but my husband is a great help to me.

I see my doctor every six months or so to discuss how I'm doing and to make sure that I'm still on the path to "recovery." Through a lot of self-reflection and being very transparent with my husband and sisters, I've found a place where I can love myself and get the support I need when I need it. You need to have someone in your life that knows EVERYTHING - you will get a lot farther in life if you have a place to share your problems and having someone who loves you know your struggle will help in huge amounts.

I am here for you if you want to talk - I feel like we can all conquer our demons with support, so I'll help in any way you need it :)
  • mamxo22
    Options
    a few years back i was humiliated by my weight and there were time when i either would not eat or just throw it up.. but i wouldnt say that i was as serious as any other bilimic person. It really did help when i opened up to a few of my friends and talked to them. there are still times when i feel as if im pulling back into that mode, so its hard to get out of the routine . its alwasys back in your mind " well that was easier and i lost weight faster..." but its not healthy. when i got into sports and extracuricular activities it really helped.. almost like i was working hard with volleyball and soccer that i could eat moree because iw oudl burn it off. get into some extracurricular activities even if its just running around the block. it will help you get your mind off the disorder. im always here if you need to message or anything, best of luck <3
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hi, I have not personally been diagnosed with an eating disorder, but in my younger years I did every crash diet known to man, including restricting. I have had personal experience with ED in my family, so feel free to friend me if you want.
  • cortne28
    Options
    hey honey. i have anorexia. here for support. <3 trying to find my way also.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i have BED. it sucks.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    about 8 years ago, i was eating under 200 calories a day (usually an apple and/or a yogurt) and burning over 3000 a day at the gym. sure, i lost a ridiculous amount of weight, but it was horrible on my body AND my mind. then, for a bunch of reasons that would take forever to explain, i gained all that weight back, plus a whole bunch more. bottom line is, you have to be healthy. eat the calories this website recommends, and eat healthy foods, and PLEASE don't listen to those people who are like, "DON'T EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! and NET NEGATIVE CALORIES" I really think they're just pushing to get to their goal weight as fast as possible, and honestly, the faster you lose, the easier it is to gain back. you have to make realistic goals that you can keep up with the rest of your life. it really is a lifestyle change, so you have to do things that you are cool with doing forever. like i know i hate exercise, so i allow myself to only burn 200 calories on lazy days, but if i'm feeling more up to it, then i'll go for a higher burn. if i push myself too hard, i know i'll eventually give up.

this is a great website, everyone is cool and sooo helpful. use it, and don't be shy :) you'll be ok, just stay healthy.
  • Soulmeetsbody0
    Options
    Hey, honey. I just wanted you to know that I have anorexia with bulimic tendencies. I am currently caught between trying to lose healthily, wanting to starve, wanting to binge and maybe give up losing for health related reasons.

If you ever need something, I'm always here. Adding you rn.
  • spunkbeer
    spunkbeer Posts: 60
    Options
    I have EDNOS as well.
    I have both anorexic and bulimic tendencies.
    And my life is revolved around food and weight loss.

If you need to talk im here.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i also have disordered eating.. feel free to add me/message me/talk to me!
  • Chelliedust
    Chelliedust Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just curious, have you ever looked into OA( overeaters Anonymous), I have been told that " no matter what your issue with food, you are welcome there" I know that it is a "spiritual program, but you don't have to be christian, they do refer to "God" or a "higher power" but not necesarily Christian. Could be very helpful.
  • spunkbeer
    spunkbeer Posts: 60
    Options
    Just curious, have you ever looked into OA( overeaters Anonymous), I have been told that " no matter what your issue with food, you are welcome there" I know that it is a "spiritual program, but you don't have to be christian, they do refer to "God" or a "higher power" but not necesarily Christian. Could be very helpful.

I think i came across that once.
    It has something called "the twelve steps" which all seemed to be very religious related. >.<
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Good for you for opening up and asking for help! Those are really important. Please consider Overeaters Anonymous too. When I went there I thought it was just for people who binged all the time and ended up huge. It' not - I met people with a whole range of food disorders and addictions and a whole range of body sizes. I thought I might not fit in and I was embarrassed by my own problems, but everyone in the room was loving and supportive without being pushy. Online support is great, but having people to talk to face to face is great too. Check out OA online to find a meeting.
  • Chelliedust
    Chelliedust Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    unfortunately some areas have some very religious people, but the program is Spiritually based, and is open to all people.