weight loss surgery and MFP

Options
Rloral
Rloral Posts: 112 Member
Hello all,

I was just wondering are there any members who've had previous weight loss surgery. I am 5 years out and wanting to lose 18 of the 25 pounds I gained. I've been trying to lose this weight since last year and I finally started losing since I've started MFP. I started Feb 13, 2011.

My questions is has it been just as hard for you? Are you also seeing weight loss with MFP?

Replies

• momspeer
    momspeer Posts: 1
    Options
    I had surgery March of 2008 and have done really well. Itend to gain in the winter which i guess is typical but never more than 8 pounds. I use MFP about this time of year just to get back in the habbit of eating a little better. My weight comes off within a month and then the weather is nice agian and my lifestyle more active. Try to be safe with what you do and do not skimp on your protien. COngrats on 5 years and still doing good. Many people start to gain around this point and not worry to much about it. You are staying on top of it and doing well. Just remeber the rules from the day you had surgery and the weight will come off before you know it. Protien is first, water and your vitamins. Best of luck to you
  • teacher4380
    Options
    I had lapband surgery two and a half years ago and did very well (over 110 pounds lost)...but this past year, my hubby went overseas & my job was ridiculous...in other words, I found 40 pounds....I have been using MFP on & off since the summer (when I was still gaining), but I was working on being accountable then. I also had a very different group of "support" if you could call it that....people knew I was gaining but said it was ok and not to worry (here, have another snack, etc.). So, I had to make some life changes...I didn't lose over 110 pounds just to put it all back on, so I have gotten reallyt serious since just after Christmas and I have started working out properly 5-6 days per week for 60-90 minutes (on average). I have lost 16 of the pounds and many inches & you can actually see some muscle definition in my body...woohoo!!! The biggest thing is that I have really started making better choices. It has really helped for accountability purposes too!!!

Has it been hard...well, anyone who says that surgery is the "easy way out" hasn't had the trials and tribulations of the surgery...there is nothing easy about this!!! It is a daily battle and it will probably always be!!!

Keep your head up while getting your weight back down! Keep us posted!!! Good luck!!!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've had WLS too. I love MFP becuase I can track my calories intake and work out exactly what deficit I need in order to lose weight, rather than just relying on my band to tell me when I've had enough to eat. I use the band and MFP together.

What kind of surgery did you have?
  • Rloral
    Options
    Thank you very much. Congratulations on your weight loss and for maintaing your weight. It's very hard.
  • Rloral
    Options
    I had the RNY surgery. I went back to my surgeon last year and asked her how many calories should I be eating and she told me "no more than 900 calories". That seemed very low to me, but after tracking my calories I noticed that If I didn't eat so many snacks I would be in the 900 range. Right now, MFP has me at losing 1.5 a week with 1320 calories. I exercise 4-5 times a week which adds to my calories which I never reach. I'm just glad I found this website before I gained anymore weight.

Thanks for the post.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had lap band in January 2008. I was bound and determined to lose 100 lbs by my year anniversary and I did. I was well on my way to hitting my goal weight within another 6 months or so and then I ran into some issues. So the following year and a half was spent yo-yoing back and forth (I too had gained back about 20-25 bs) and then plateauing for MONTHS at a time.

February of last year, my boyfriends mom had wanted to go another round of the HGC diet (which she found a lot of success with) and she offered to split a 40 day program with me. It was just the jump start I needed. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks and found my focus again. I found MFP shortly afterwards and then I really felt like I "found my way" again.

The logging of the food is essential and keeping track of my workouts helps too. I like seeing the breakdown of everything. I feel like finding MFP has been a true blessing. Plus I found some wonderful and supportive friends (and several AWESOME fellow WLS peeps!)

Good luck to you!
  • lynh564
    lynh564 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had lapband placed in April 2010. I started using this site shortly after my surgery. I was using paper logs before. This is so much easier. I am down a little over 110lbs. I find that logging keeps me accountable. I am within 5lbs of my goal. I will continue to use this tool. I log food, exercise, water. I just recently bought an HRM and Fitbit. I am using both in conjunction with this site. I want to keep the weight off.