Breakfast suggestions? Bagel or Sandwich recipes?

Options
soundtrack
soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
My husband either has a Dunkin Donuts bagel w/cream cheese or a breakfast sandwich there... I'd like to offer a couple healthy suggestions. Has anyone already explored this themselves? Any ideas? Recipe to share?

SUPER grateful :-)

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love to have a Morning Star Breakfast sausage, with an egg white and reduced fat cheese on a Whole Grain English muffin.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    light whole wheat english muffin toasted
    egg beaters scrambled
    light american cheese slice
    (Optional) turkey bacon or canadian bacon

mmmmmmmmmm lol
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a 100 calorie Thomas Multi Grain Muffin with laughing cow cheese and a couple of pieces of bacon. The combo of carbs and a bacon seem to keep me fuller then on the days I just grab some cereal or yogurt.
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Crumpets aren't too bad in terms of calories - just don't slather them in butter! x
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I make breakfast sandwiches often. They're easy and portable which works for me. I usually use a light english muffin (100 cals) or a bagel thin (110 cals). I use egg beaters and someone here suggested heating them in the microwave in a coffee cup because it's quick and easy and makes the perfect shape for the englsh muffin or bagel. (I microwave for a minute and 45 seconds). Sometimes I add reduced fat or fat free shredded cheddar to the egg beaters before heating it. It's so easy to toast the english muffin while my egg is in the microwave, I can get ready or pack my lunch while I do it. Sometimes I add a veggie sausage patty to the sandwich or break it up into little pieces to throw in the coffee cup with the egg beaters. I don't eat meat often so I prefer the veggie patties but they are also better health and calorie wise than an actual piece of sausage. I've always used laughing cow cheese to spread on the english muffin in place of shredded cheddar. Or even a slice of reduced fat cheddar.
  • Aeh1026
    Aeh1026 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thomas' makes these awesome things called bagel thins, they are about 100-110 calories and they taste delcious. they come in whole wheat, everything, and cinnamon raisin. top it with egg whites and turkey bacon and its about 200 calories and it keeps you full. I always get spray butter by parkay and thats 0 calories with the taste of butter.
  • jamr1019
    jamr1019 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try the new Thomas Bagel Thins, they're good with just about anything and only 110 cals.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    anything from home is better than something from DD. Definitely use egg beaters or egg whites, along with some turkey sausage and a low carb/low fat whole grain muffin sounds like more of a winner to me.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I make an egg sandwich (either on a light engl. muffin or bagel flat), I grill the bagel in then pan before I cook the egg beaters (spray it with Pam, put it face down and use something heavy to press it). I also like Jennie-O turkey bacon on it with reduced fat cheddar.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try the new Thomas Bagel Thins, they're good with just about anything and only 110 cals.

I believe Pepperidge Farm flats are only 100 cals (every calorie counts, right?) :smile:
  • gerlach
    gerlach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donut's wraps and sandwiches with egg whites are a good alternative to their donuts, bagels, and regular sandwiches. For instance, the Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap has 150 calories, and an Egg & Cheese Wake-Up Wrap is only 180 calories. A Ham, Egg & Cheese Wake-Up Wrap is 200 calories. At those levels, he can still have Dunkin Donuts' great coffee with his breakfast and still maintain his daily calorie count!

Here is there nutrition info:
    http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/menu/nutrition.html
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Yeah! I love the taste of bagels over english muffins, so these work great for me!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't always have time to make anything for breakfast...I wish I did....most of the time it's grab and go....
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question! My husband eats McDs breakfast burritos every morning. I worry.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Jimmy dean D'lights are awesome breakfast sandwiches. They really fill me up in the morning, and they are about 260 calories. The breakfast bowls are really good too!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Jimmy dean D'lights are awesome breakfast sandwiches. They really fill me up in the morning, and they are about 260 calories. The breakfast bowls are really good too!

My husband likes them too. And, if you don't like cheese (which he doesn't) it's easy to remove it before microwaving!
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Just be careful of the sodium on things like this, it tends to be ridiculous.

Every morning for the past few days I've been doing the following breakfast sandwich:
    1 whole wheat bagel thin (Thomas')
    1/2 cup egg whites (Great Value)
    1/2 cup spinach (Fresh Express)

Comes out to less than 200 calories, and keeps me full until lunch.
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Awesome Awesome ideas!! THANK YOU :-) I didn't know about the bagel thins. We'll have to check 'em out. While we like Laughin Cow cheese I'd never thought to us it with breakfast! Great light bulb moments happening for me here.

Relieved to see DD has a lower cal option too. Reality is I can try some of these with him here at home but reality is he'll have to make them/stick with it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
  • BacktoSam
    BacktoSam Posts: 28
    Options
    I do a whole wheat bagel thin toasted then spead on a laughing cow wedge and one egg fried in cooking spray, so yummy!
  • monica2383
    monica2383 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just made a breakfast sandwich this morning... Sorry if this is repeated somewhere... 100 calories WW English Muffin, 1 Large Egg, 1 T whipped cream cheese, 1 slice of turkey bacon... 225 calories... I usually add a piece of fruit to my breakfast too!! :-) I have also done like an 'open-faced egg sandwich' for that, i will sautee mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and put 1 Egg on 1/2 of the english muffin! :-)