SODIUM SUPPORT GROUP: LOL

Options
I'm going shopping today for my groceries for the month. I am looking for others struggling with sodium and those that have mastered it. Please list any suggestions you may have, products you found that are lower in sodium and things you've done to cut your sodium down. Thanks My SODIUM SOLDIERS!!!! LOL

Replies

• eystelle
    eystelle Posts: 31
    Options
    you and me both I have congestive heart failure and sodium is my enemy! I need a support group too lol!
  • gmattach
    gmattach Posts: 14
    Options
    oh my goodness, I'm with you! I can pass up sweets with no problem, but love salty food!! I read labels ALOT and try to buy low sodium or sodium free products. I don't salt anything.I use pepper though.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I eat lots of beans and one thing that has helped me with my meals is using dried beans. When I make homemade nachos, black bean burgers and chili using the dried beans decreases my sodium by over 1,000 mgs versus using canned beans!
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    I always eat my meal and think that it didnt have too much sodium then I check my nutrients and sodium is in the red bc I have eaten so much. yuck!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Rule #1: avoid packaged and processed foods as much as possible
    Rule #2: read your labels closely and make choices based on the lowest sodium item available
    Rule #3: make your own food and don't add salt
    Rule #4: buy alternative spice blends like Mrs. Dash
    Rule #5: go to the hypertension web site to read about the DASH diet
    Rule #6: eat foods high in potassium

good luck!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    you are starting off on the wrong foot just by framming the question wrong. "I'm going shopping today for my groceries for the month."

if you try to stock up on food for 1 month there is no way to will avoid sodium in your purchases. Everything you buy will have to be preserved to keep for that long. The exception would be frozen food, if you buy bags and bags of frozen vegetables you will ok.

The correct answer is buy fresh produce. It doesn`t keep more and about 1 week, so have to go to the groceries every week and buy some broccoli, spinach, asparagus, onions, bell peppers etc.

Pretty much everything that is canned or in a boxed needs preservatives, ie: sodium. Do most of your shopping in fresh produce and refridgerated/frozen section of the grocery store.

Keep at it!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I eat lots of beans and one thing that has helped me with my meals is using dried beans. When I make homemade nachos, black bean burgers and chili using the dried beans decreases my sodium by over 1,000 mgs versus using canned beans!

Very nice tip!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    oatmeal has become my staple for breakfast. no sodium :) Besides that it's pretty hard to stay low. Fruits, veggies are always good. Nothing processed. And the beans was a great suggestion.
  • TiffanyTravis
    Options
    My son is now on a low sodium diet. His doctor told me to do most of my shopping on the outside edges of the stores. He said b/c most of what you need is there. Fresh produce, dairy and meats. I am trying to avoid any prepackaged foods. His nurse said Healthy Choice frozen dinners were okay b/c they are lower in sodium.
  • hummzz
    Options
    you are starting off on the wrong foot just by framming the question wrong. "I'm going shopping today for my groceries for the month."

if you try to stock up on food for 1 month there is no way to will avoid sodium in your purchases. Everything you buy will have to be preserved to keep for that long. The exception would be frozen food, if you buy bags and bags of frozen vegetables you will ok.

The correct answer is buy fresh produce. It doesn`t keep more and about 1 week, so have to go to the groceries every week and buy some broccoli, spinach, asparagus, onions, bell peppers etc.

Pretty much everything that is canned or in a boxed needs preservatives, ie: sodium. Do most of your shopping in fresh produce and refridgerated/frozen section of the grocery store.

Keep at it!

Well I do shop throughout the month for my fresh veggies and dairy, but for the most part "Big Shopping" is once a month. I guess I did word it wrong. But I understand you're point. I don't eat many canned foods and hate frozen veggies! So I buy them about once every two weeks. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • sillymesillyyou
    sillymesillyyou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Avoid pre-packaged food and ready meals. They have lots of salt in as a preservative. Try to cook from basic ingredients - e.g. plain meat, veg, fruit, etc - nobody's added salt to these. Don't buy ready made sauces (e.g. bolognese), make your own from tomatoes and similar. Avoid cured and processed meat - e.g ham, sausages, bacon, etc.
  • kevanos
    Options
    what kind of food do you usually buy on these big grocery runs.

We can point out what to cut out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My saving grace has been to stop making Rice a Roni and Hamburger Helper. They always seemed so cheap and easy, but a bag of brown rice or box of whole grain pasta goes a lot further. A can of pureed tomatoes instead of a jar of spaghetti sauce.

And check the labels on everything. Stuff like low-fat or no fat salad dressings sometimes pack a lot more sodium than the regular versions. I have two Peppercorn Ranch dressings in my fridge. The full fat one is 110 calories and 270 sodium. The lite is 70 calories and 380 sodium. I'd rather eat 40 calories more and save on the sodium. And then my (regular) Honey Mustard dressing is 130 calories and 210 sodium. And fat free Raspberry Vinaigrette is only 40 calories and 140 sodium.
  • hummzz
    Options
    what kind of food do you usually buy on these big grocery runs.

We can point out what to cut out.

I typically buy my meat and fresh veggies, dairy, a box of cereal, tons of yogurt, juice, low cal snacks and slim fast. I am going to buy some Mrs. Dash, Sea Salt and Smart balance milk today. I guess I was interested in what people do to decrease their sodium because it seems as if EVERYTHING has sodium. I don't typically buy canned goods but I do buy Rosarita Fat free refried beans, but I'm thinking I'll buy dry beans and make them myself. I'm also interested in what people do for deli meats or sliced ham. I love my sandwiches, but it has very high sodium. Is there a specific brand or deli meat that I should change to?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in what people do for deli meats or sliced ham. I love my sandwiches, but it has very high sodium. Is there a specific brand or deli meat that I should change to?

I also love sandwiches but hate the processed sodium-laced overpriced deli meats, so I cook my own. I cook a bunch of chicken breasts to be sliced up for sandwiches. I do the same with steak and other meats.
  • hummzz
    Options
    I'm also interested in what people do for deli meats or sliced ham. I love my sandwiches, but it has very high sodium. Is there a specific brand or deli meat that I should change to?

I also love sandwiches but hate the processed sodium-laced overpriced deli meats, so I cook my own. I cook a bunch of chicken breasts to be sliced up for sandwiches. I do the same with steak and other meats.

What about ham?
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    When I buy deli meats I try to buy (at the Deli counter) Sara Lee Low Sodium Ham, Turkey and Roast Beef. Usually most deli counters carry them. And they're wonderful. Especially the roast beef. :)
  • kevanos
    Options
    fat isn`t bad for you. Saturted fat is bad for you. But unsaturated fat is part of a healthy diet, so I don`t understand the fat free fad, it`s just a trend pushed by corporations, and usually they pack fat free with sugar and salt.

Try some home made hummus instead of refried beans. (those rosarita beans have over 500mg sodium per 1/2 cup)

I don`t know what slim fast is intended for or why people take it. Again I think this is just good product placement by a corporation marketing to people who want to lose weight. i found this shake mix that on their site http://www.slim-fast.com/products/powder/w/wiki/Chocolate-Royale-Shake-Mix.aspx?ProductID=5

The main ingredient is sugar. Immediately I don`t buy it for that reason. There is protein in it, maybe its meant to act like a protein shake. Protein shakes are great if they are not loaded with refined sugar. You can buy protein powder from health stores, I always have some on hand for a post work-out shake or as meal supplement.

As for deli meat, I feel for you as I went through the same realisation, deli meat is packed full of sodium, so I just stopped buying it. The chicken breast slices is a good alternative. Tuna is also a great meat for a sandwhich. I heard someone mention the deli counter in another thread. I never talk to the deli counter people but ask tehm if they have a low sodium product, maybe they do.
  • hummzz
    Options
    fat isn`t bad for you. Saturted fat is bad for you. But unsaturated fat is part of a healthy diet, so I don`t understand the fat free fad, it`s just a trend pushed by corporations, and usually they pack fat free with sugar and salt.

Try some home made hummus instead of refried beans. (those rosarita beans have over 500mg sodium per 1/2 cup)

I don`t know what slim fast is intended for or why people take it. Again I think this is just good product placement by a corporation marketing to people who want to lose weight. i found this shake mix that on their site http://www.slim-fast.com/products/powder/w/wiki/Chocolate-Royale-Shake-Mix.aspx?ProductID=5

The main ingredient is sugar. Immediately I don`t buy it for that reason. There is protein in it, maybe its meant to act like a protein shake. Protein shakes are great if they are not loaded with refined sugar. You can buy protein powder from health stores, I always have some on hand for a post work-out shake or as meal supplement.

As for deli meat, I feel for you as I went through the same realisation, deli meat is packed full of sodium, so I just stopped buying it. The chicken breast slices is a good alternative. Tuna is also a great meat for a sandwhich. I heard someone mention the deli counter in another thread. I never talk to the deli counter people but ask tehm if they have a low sodium product, maybe they do.

Thanks for all the info. I usually use a Slim Fast for when I'm on the go. Easy to drop in my purse and gets me by so I don't go to the drive through. Its helped a lot but if I had an alternative that is good for my busy lifestyle then I would love to hear about it.

Yeah I think I will talk to the Deli counter person before buying my deli meat. No more Rosarita beans for me either. I will make my own and freeze what I don't use. You and the rest have come up with some great ideas! Thanks a bunch!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    See if you deli carries Boars Head product. Most of theirs is low sodium. Look up their website I just found out they also make gluten free stuff also.