CARIBBEAN FOOD!!!

Options
This is going to be the death of me.
I plate is usually 600-700 calories....what i am i supposed to do???eat one meal a day...this is something else!!!!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Try getting a good workout in before you eat Caribbean food, or "budgeting" calories for it when you know that's what you;re gonna eat.
  • Thenewscott
    Options
    You could always exercise.... thats what I do
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    have it as a once a week "cheat" meal.
  • RUNMLT
    RUNMLT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yu haff ta watcha blood clot por-shun sizez mon !!!!!
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Where are you eating the Caribbean food from? I'm from Puerto Rico and I cook a lot of Spanish foods still within my plan. If you cook yourself, it comes out cheaper in calories and you still get your Caribbean flavored plate.
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I cook alot of caribbean food..my hubby is from Jamaica. The Oxtails get me..but i usually eat 1 cup of rice & peas, a cup and a half of oxtails w/beans..and loads of cabbage and Brocolli. Then workout for an hour! It can be done. Trust me! Also, in regards to the spanish food. I crave that often..can you inbox me a nice recipie for Chicken and Rice..i want the authentic way!

Thanks!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Are you preparing the food or eating out?

If you are making food, or helping to make food, maybe you could make some healthy changes, like baking or grilling instead of frying.

If you're eating out, or someone else is preparing the meal, then you can always use portion control. Fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies (make sure it's not loaded with calories like salad dressing or cheese), then add small amounts of carbs and protein.

Jerk chicken, fish, and beans are all pretty healthy depending on how you cook them. Beef patties are maybe not the healthiest choice, but you can always have one as a treat.

The Livestrong site has a little info on it. It's for Jamaican foods, but I'm sure there's stuff for other Caribbean foods, too:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/363356-nutrition-facts-about-jamaican-foods/
  • alliecat40
    alliecat40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eat small quantities 6 - 8 times a day. Each time you eat consume around 150 calories each time. Make sure you drink a glass of water with each meal. Eventually within a week or so your stomach will begin to shrink and it will become easier.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/arroz-con-pollo-lightened-up.html

that's a recipe for chicken and rice...tried and true...light version of the "original". (although I don't know if that's how they make it in Jamaica, it is very similar to a puertorican chicken and rice plate)

Gina has a lot of Spanish recipes on her blog that are calorie friendly.

What I do is, I limit my portions, especially with the rice. I don't' cook my rice with oil and this results in no "con con" or crispy rice at the bottom of the pot but hey! at least I can still have my rice. I do add salt (1/2 tsp for every cup of rice). My rice portion is usually 1/2 cup and for times I want more I eat a whole cup. I always measure it. Also beans are very filling and low in calories. When I serve myself I try to focus on the protein/salad portion of the plate instead of filling my plate with rice.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know that Haitian food is going to get to you but honestly its about portion size on the foods with the most calories and more of the good things. Trying to also find ways to make it healthier like instead of frying gryo, bake it.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    and when you get it please inbox it to me....ohh and send me your recipe for oxtails I love them but have never cooked them myself
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    use a smaller plate
  • syoung76
    syoung76 Posts: 19
    Options
    mmmm oxtails... :tongue:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like others have said - you got to find healthier ways of cooking .

For example, when I make stew chicken - I skin the chicken and use a very little amount of oil to brown it.

Plus, I only cook basmati rice (which is has a lower GI than other white rice). Also, I avoid rice & peas, because I know it has higher calories because of the coconut cream.

But, when I do go to a party that is serving west indian food - I just make sure I have very small portions!
  • GetFitWithDe
    Options
    Try eating smaller portions of it!