Eating back calories counterproductive to weight loss

Options

Replies

• Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hmm after my nine mile run today I think I need to eat some of the extra calories.
    In general...I am referring to normal workouts, ranging from about 200-800 calories burned...Not heavy-duty physical, athlete-type training. In your case I would double my protein (one drink before, one drink after), but that's it. Maybe an extra apple. But I wouldn't pack on 1000-1200 calories extra because of running 9 miles.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    AMEN! this is so true. Do what you wish, but by starving yourself, you will lose weight, Muscle weight, not FAT WEIGHT. I have a hard time understanding why people don't understand this as well.
    NOT EATING YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK =/= (does not equal) STARVING YOURSELF! LOL. I never recommended anyone go below 1200 calories. That isn't what we're talking about ppl.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. If you are at 1200 calorie goal and you burn 500 during exercise that will put you at 700 calories. 1200 is the baseline number for Starvation Mode. If you go under that number for too long then your body will start to adapt to the number by stopping the fat burning process for fear of famine (My 'comatose' BMR is 1188 and I'm pretty little so 1200 is a good number). Your weight loss will slow down and you can possible start gaining. I am proof of that. I gained 20 pounds in less than a year by "not eating". You eat the 500 calories to get you back up to your daily goal. You want your NET calories to stay above 1200. This is why MFP will not go below a 1200 daily goal.

Please check out the links in my signature especially the "frantic about adhering to calorie...".

Heck I upped my goal from 1250 to 1480 2 weeks ago and have dropped another 1 1/2 pounds.

Oh I don't mean too sound mean. This is the one biggest ongoing issue on this site. Some days I am under 1200. I just don't stay under for more than 2 days. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I get what you're saying, but have you read or heard about HCG diet? It overlaps somewhat on this principle stating you're not devoid of calories just because you haven't eaten 1600 calories today....when you exercise, the point is to burn fat. If there are no food calories to burn if the body needs fuel, it will burn the fat. Isn't this the whole entire point of weight loss?

Unless it starts burning muscle, which is what happens in the case of constant severe calorie deficits.

And yes, if you're someone who needs to lose 50-100lbs or more, and you are ok with going up into a 1,000 calorie deficit or more, AND you stay above approximately 1200/day, then you can play around with the calories. But if you need to lose less than that, then it's not as safe.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    *Do not invoke The URL...Do not invoke The URL....* :explode:

^___________^
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump....for later
  • Rworthy
    Options
    I normally stay away from this one question, but..........I did read that the following applies to each and everyone of us.....

if your are MORBIDLY OBESE, OR OBESE.........No, dont eat any of your exercise calories back

if you are OVERWEIGHT, .....................................Eat only half of your exercise calories back

if you are NORMAL, ............. Eat all of your exercise calories back

again, I only read this, so I guess its hear say.............I usually ate about half for the last year ,and it paid off...........best of luck
    What is the source of this information? Where did you hear this?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. If you are at 1200 calorie goal and you burn 500 during exercise that will put you at 700 calories. 1200 is the baseline number for Starvation Mode. If you go under that number for too long then your body will start to adapt to the number by stopping the fat burning process for fear of famine (My 'comatose' BMR is 1188 and I'm pretty little so 1200 is a good number). Your weight loss will slow down and you can possible start gaining. I am proof of that. I gained 20 pounds in less than a year by "not eating". You eat the 500 calories to get you back up to your daily goal. You want your NET calories to stay above 1200. This is why MFP will not go below a 1200 daily goal.

Please check out the links in my signature especially the "frantic about adhering to calorie...".

Heck I upped my goal from 1250 to 1480 2 weeks ago and have dropped another 1 1/2 pounds.

Oh I don't mean too sound mean. This is the one biggest ongoing issue on this site. Some days I am under 1200. I just don't stay under for more than 2 days. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I get what you're saying, but have you read or heard about HCG diet? It overlaps somewhat on this principle stating you're not devoid of calories just because you haven't eaten 1600 calories today....when you exercise, the point is to burn fat. If there are no food calories to burn if the body needs fuel, it will burn the fat. Isn't this the whole entire point of weight loss?

When you diet and cardio you will lose some muscle mass and some fat mass. There is no way around this other than to get plenty of protein and strength training. If there are no calories to burn and the body needs fuel it will also burn protein (i.e. lean muscle mass).

I don't believe in the HCG diet. From what I have read here and online (which can be very confusing) once the drops stop the weight comes right back on. I can understand doing something like this under dire health circumstances. This isn't something you can do the rest of your life.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    rworthy , I copied it 2 weeks ago, on this site from a poster asking the same question. This was there reply , so I cite my source from MFP.........Lloyd
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hmm after my nine mile run today I think I need to eat some of the extra calories.
    In general...I am referring to normal workouts, ranging from about 200-800 calories burned...Not heavy-duty physical, athlete-type training. In your case I would double my protein (one drink before, one drink after), but that's it. Maybe an extra apple. But I wouldn't pack on 1000-1200 calories extra because of running 9 miles.

I have my cals spaced out throughout the day and eat half of them. Trust me i dont go eat a whopper or something :] I tend to burn up to 2000 calories some days.And I have seen many people burn 1000+ a lot too.

Have to note I am an athlete but i dont burn 2000 very often haha but normalls 900-1000+
  • Rworthy
    Options
    I have a question to add to this....

I work out after work at night. I usually go to the gym around 8 or 8:30 and work work for approximately 90 minutes and burn anywhere from 1200 to 1500. By the time go to the gym i'm over on my cals somewhere between 250 and 350. There is no way I can eat the extra calories at 10:30 at night right before I go to bed. I don't want to eat an extra 1200 calories before I go to the gym in case something happens and I only burn...lets say....500 calories. What should I do in this case?
    I would recommend a protein shake before and one after your workout. And a good breakfast the next day. I wouldn't eat back the calories - especially at night. That's just ridiculous.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *Do not invoke The URL...Do not invoke The URL....* :explode:

They seriously need to add a "like" button to this.

^_______^

Should I?... Ah, eff it. For troll's sake, I invoke The URL:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

*Sigh of relief* ... There... I just dropped a deuce on the boards... I feel better. This is gonna become my new addiction. :devil:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

the Minnesota Starvation Diet is not Starvation Mode. They aren't the same thing.
    Anorexia is also a starvation diet, not starvation mode.

I've seen both articles before and I agree. Starvation Mode doesn't kick in immediately. It can take a few days to a week. I think that's why calorie cycling (zig zagging) is successful for a lot of people. But they are both confusing a starvation diet with starvation mode.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

the Minnesota Starvation Diet is not Starvation Mode. They aren't the same thing.
    Anorexia is also a starvation diet, not starvation mode.

I've seen both articles before and I agree. Starvation Mode doesn't kick in immediately. It can take a few days to a week. I think that's why calorie cycling (zig zagging) is successful for a lot of people. But they are both confusing a starvation diet with starvation mode.

well ive havent netted 1200 calories in almost a year,im not in starvation mode,im developing muscle nicely and have been losing no more than 2 pounds a week.I logg everything I eat except one day a few days ago.So why am I not in starvation mode.
  • Rworthy
    Options

When you diet and cardio you will lose some muscle mass and some fat mass. There is no way around this other than to get plenty of protein and strength training. If there are no calories to burn and the body needs fuel it will also burn protein (i.e. lean muscle mass).

I don't believe in the HCG diet. From what I have read here and online (which can be very confusing) once the drops stop the weight comes right back on. I can understand doing something like this under dire health circumstances. This isn't something you can do the rest of your life.
    Gosh, I hope I'm not doing this the rest of my life. To clarify, this is what I'm doing to see real weight loss results, not a pound lost per month....This is only until I reach my goal, then I'll probably increase my calories by 500 or so, with workouts 5 days per week.

About muscle mass lost...this is what happens when your body doesn't have enough fuel to sustain the workout. This is the purpose of drinking a protein shake after a workout. Who said my workout was only cardio? Are you saying that if you don't eat your calories back after a workout of lifting weights, the result will be a decrease in muscle? This is just preposterous.

Look, I think we can all agree you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day if you're trying to lose weight.

IF YOU'RE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS YOU'RE GETTING: great for you! You're probably in the early stages (1-6 months into weight loss plan), and probably still seeing results. By ALL MEANS, KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR RESULTS: You're getting pissed that all the exercising and dieting is leveling off - you lose a pound or so here or there, or you might even gain a pound or two here or there, BUT YOU'RE NOT MAKING SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS....this tells me YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. What worked for me is exercising 6 days per week, and NOT EATING MY EXERCISE CALORIES BACK. I did not say that I am "starving myself" or going "below 1200 calories.....but I'm not EATING MORE JUST BECAUSE I RAN THREE MILES THAT DAY. If I DID run 3 miles today, I will simply drink plenty of water, and have a protein shake with 25-30 grams of protein within 45 minutes after a workout.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    reread and realized i misunderstood, never mind. :smile:
  • toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I only "eat back" my calories after exercise if I happen to be hungry. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat them back. Since I usually do my exercise right before bed, I am usually not hungry and so do not need to eat back the calories.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on what my goals are. Strictly weight loss? I'd probably skip it unless I was truly hungry or needed them to compensate for an indulgence. However, right now I'm doing P90X and while I do want to lose weight at the moment I'm concentrating on strength and building a little muscle. Since I need the calories to feed my body's recovery and growth I will eat them. I do have a HRM that I am tracking what I've really burned instead of guessing so even if my HRM isn't the perfect tool for knowing how many calories are burned, at least I'm closer to reality and not having huge errors either direction. I feel that if I were to eat the 3,000 plus calories the P90X nutrition guide says I should be eating I'd gain weight rather than lose it. And we can't be doing that! :P
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So how many calories are you eating a day on the HCG diet? How many are you netting after exercise? How much weight have you lost and how much do you want to lose? I'm just curious.

I researched the HCG diet last year when my neighbor started it and swore by it. He lost 45 pounds really fast (in about 2 months) by sticking to a 500 calorie per day diet and using the placenta hormone drops to subdue his appetite. He was exercising everyday and not eating his calories back and he looked great. But when he stopped taking the drops and began eating about 1200-1400 calories per day he gained 60 pounds back within 3 months. Needless to say he isn't too happy with the long term results. I never got into it because I couldn't stand the idea of putting placenta juice in my mouth.