daily calories

Options
HI all, so i have a question. On MFP my daily calorie goal is 1450 (to lose 1lb per week). On Livestrong.com it says that my daily calorie goal to lose 1lb per week is 1803. Does anyone know why there is such a big discrepency?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I am totally confused! :embarassed:

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Does livestrong calculate in a deficit automatically?
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My guess is that is has something to do with the calculation of your BMR (basal metabolic rate). Does Livestrong ask what your activity level is? I know on MFP, mine is set to 'sedentary' as I have a desk job and so my allotted calories are very low. I could be completely wrong, but that is my best guess!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Livestrong sux. Steriods. Nuf said.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you put in the correct age, weight, and height?
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    yes i put in everything right, it asked for the type of 'lifestyle' i have and it calculated the defecit (it asked how much i want to lose each week) i just don't get it!!! :embarassed:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I just went and put my info in over as LS and it gave me a goal of 1584, instead of the 1310 I was given here. I didn't sign up for an account over there though, so I don't know how they are calculating things or whether on that plan you are advised to eat back exercise calories.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    unsure. I just ran my #s through and got 1812 and MFP gives me 1860 - and my bodymediafit shows me actually burning between 1750 and 1950 on a rather sedentary day.

The only thing I can think is you have something entered different between the two.
    (I tested mine set to maintain though. I wonder if they are using the same deficits to lose 1 lb. Try setting each to maintain and see what it tells you - are those #s matching - then set each to lose and see if they start straying from each other).
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Livestrong actually gives me about 150 less calories per day compared to MFP. All information is the same in both places.
  • erican09
    erican09 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know that personally when I was using Livestrong I was having great success, and when I started here I have lost nothing.

After reading the article in the recent post "Frantic about adhering to the "right" calorie intake? Read t " by stroutman81, I believe that It is due to MFP giving me a much too small calorie goal. I am 5'4, 20 years old and I weigh 180. MFP says I should eat 1300 calories a day to lost 1.5 lbs a week while LS says I should eat 2135, which is more consistent with the article's advice. I am going to try eating more calories and I believe I will have better results. I personally think MFP does too much generalizing and doesn't tailor your calorie goals enough.