Diet friendly Thai food?

Options
I am going out for a business meeting at a Thai restaurant tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what I could order that is somewhat health-ful. I have never eaten at this restaurant, nor have I ever eaten Thai. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

3525289.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Stay away from all the noodle dishes. Those complex carbs will make you hungry later. Try a spicy beef veggie dish or tofu. Avoid the rice as well.
    I don't know many names of thai dishes that are healthy, but a basil beef dish might be a good start.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My favs are the garlic pepper chicken and the grilled taryaki salmon. Both usually have steamed vegies and rice. Leave most of the rice.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Pass on the Thai Ice Tea.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    HAHA Awesome question! I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks! The whole reason I joined MFP is to skinny down before my trip, where inevitably, I will eat it alll back.... just judging by my favourites.

Seeing as Thai food is basically either noodles or rice, you don't have a lot to go on here. Better to go with the rice.... and seeing as it's white rice or fried rice, stick to the white rice. Also, choose the chicken (usually give you a choice between beef/chicken/pork) and if you like it, eat the curry (the spicier, the better, supposedly for metab burn, but I can't eat spicy)!

You might be able to get away with Thai noodle soup, which is a lot like Viet Pho... or vegetable stirfy I guess?
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with something chicken with some veggies, but make sure your chicken isn't breaded/fried, and there isn't a ceam sauce on the chicken. Then just watch your portion size and drink LOTS of water to counter act the sodium!
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :-) Pho!
    don't fear the noodle - just manage portions and enjoy all that flavor. Seasonings will satisfy you more than quantity - eat slowly and savor!
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/pho-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup/
  • breckmc
    breckmc Posts: 30
    Options
    My girlfriend is from Thailand so I eat Thai frequently. I recommend Laab which is a spicy, minced, boiled pork with lime and basil. Some restaurants will also make it with beef. I love it. You will probably be served steamed white rice but some restaurants will offer brown. The rice typically comes on the side so you can abstain if you want.

You can also go with Tom Yum Gai which is a spicy chicken soup with a lot of vegetables. Cow Mon Gai is also a good chicken dish served with a spicy sauce and traditionally cucumbers.

This all applies to traditional Thai restaurants. Many restaurants that claim to be Thai will serve more Chinese style dishes and you can get the typical stir fry offerings.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my fav is green curry and you can pick if you want chicken beef or shrimp. It comes with white rice but i just have a little. Its basically vegetables and meat in the most delish sauce of amazing spices. Its like my fav all time thing to eat!!! ENJOY! all thai food is amaaaazing
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I love Thai food! The other night I had Pumpkin curry with shrimp and brown rice. Amazing!
    I left most the rice but still enjoyed what I had, ate about 3/4 the pumpkin c
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Not sure what happened there...butterfingers?

I love Thai food! The other night I had Pumpkin curry with shrimp and brown rice. Amazing!
    I left most the rice but still enjoyed what I had, ate about 3/4 the pumpkin curry and was completely satisfied!

I say get what sounds the best to you, enjoy every bite, eat slow. It would be different if it was an everyday thing but occasionally it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree though, no thai iced tea!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    They have many soups you can eat, if you like curry. One of my favorites is Khao Soi (cow soy is how its sounds) It has noodles but you dont have to eat them all. There is also a really yummy chicken/ coconut soup called Tom Kha Gai. a vegetable soup called Gang Som Pak Ruam. My father in law does missionary work in Thailand, and has become a wonderful Thai cook. so we get to try lots of yummy stuff.
    I just went and found you a web site that has pictures and tells you what id in the food hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know I will be more then happy to try and help you. Happy eating!

http://migrationology.com/index.php/2010/03/100-food-dishes-to-eat-like-a-king-in-bangkok-the-ultimate-thai-eating-guide/
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is from Thailand so I eat Thai frequently. I recommend Laab which is a spicy, minced, boiled pork with lime and basil. Some restaurants will also make it with beef. I love it. You will probably be served steamed white rice but some restaurants will offer brown. The rice typically comes on the side so you can abstain if you want.

You can also go with Tom Yum Gai which is a spicy chicken soup with a lot of vegetables. Cow Mon Gai is also a good chicken dish served with a spicy sauce and traditionally cucumbers.

This all applies to traditional Thai restaurants. Many restaurants that claim to be Thai will serve more Chinese style dishes and you can get the typical stir fry offerings.

Love Laab... YUMMY!
  • patty6473
    patty6473 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your ideas. I am making a list of foods so I can take it with me while I check out that menu! Thank you for that website! It was really helpful!