Greek Yogurt ideas?!?!

shaweetie
shaweetie Posts: 33 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So i've seen and heard lots of great things about Greek Yogurt. So i went to Superstore and picked some up this morning. I just got the plain kind...so i'm hoping you guys can help me out and give me some ideas of how you use it, what you use it for, and any great recipes with it. Thanks SO much!!!

Replies

• I have recently found the Chobani plain yogurt and have been using it in place of sour cream in recipes. I bought one of the Hidden Valley dry dip mixes and mixed it up with the yogurt and it makes a really tasty dip for veggies.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    I like to put fruit on it and drizzle with a little honey.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    This is a great breakfast: 1 serving of plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 5 oz of blueberries, 6 chopped almonds and a teaspoon of flaxseed. Add sweetner to taste (I usually use one Splenda packet). Super yummy, no fat, low carb and lots of protein!
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    I put finely chopped cucumber through it and use it as a dip with chicken (especially if the chicken is marinated in something spicy). Also good for using to dip raw veggies in.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Just bought the strawberry one this afternoon! Hope I like it.
    I heard people use it as a sour cream substitute.
    http://www.chobani.com/kitchen
  • mgalinka
    mgalinka Posts: 9 Member
    The most amazing breakfast/snack is plain Greek yogurt with wallnuts and honey. Its amazing you will fall in love.:smile:
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    I like the fruit ones. I tried the plain as a substitute for sour cream on a baked potato and I was not happy. I'm looking foward to trying it for dips.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    I use it in place of sour cream for basically everything. Its SO GOOD on baked potatoes, chili, in casseroles, whatever you use sour cream for.

I also love it mixed with blueberries or blackberries.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    I put one teaspoon of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of polander sugar free jelly with fiber and mix it with plain greek yogurt.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    I have Athenos greek strained blueberry yogurt in front of me now. Yesterday I had the one with honey DELISH!!!!!
    1.00 each in Walmart vs chobani appx 1.45each

enjoy!!!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I also use it in place of sour cream. I hate yogurt and I can't even tell a difference!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    I love it instead of sour cream on my baked potato. So do my kids.

I also like it for breakfast in my kashi go lean cereal instead of milk.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    I get the plain as well to get the lower sugar. My favorite is 1/4 cup of blueberries, ground flaxseed and a little splenda. Yumm!
  • esrufer
    esrufer Posts: 4
    I make a yogurt parfait with fresh blueberries and a little bit of Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal. Not super creative, but YUM!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    I have recently found the Chobani plain yogurt and have been using it in place of sour cream in recipes. I bought one of the Hidden Valley dry dip mixes and mixed it up with the yogurt and it makes a really tasty dip for veggies.

i tried to eat some in place of regular yogurt but i didnt like it. i had these exact ideas for replacing sour cream and making dip with it tho!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I put greek yogurt on pancakes, crakers, bagels, eat it with veggies, fruit... almost anything! The sky's the limit.

One odd recipe - I mix a good-sized spoonful of greek yogurt (about 3 Tbsp) with about 3/4 cup of egg whites and 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal, blend it really good in a food processor or with a hand blender, and then treat that like pancake mix. It makes great pancakes - slightly more dense (less fluffy) but much healthier than regular pancakes. You can also do that with cottage cheese instead of yogurt.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Zorbas Recipe for tzatziki

1 tub greek yoghurt (1 ltr)
    1 continental cucumber
    1 dash of viniger
    4 cloves of garlic

the key is to drain the yoghurt. to do this you wrap a tea towel around a sifter (one like this)
    sifter_det.jpg
    and place on something like this
    LPMJ0100.jpg

the tea towel stops the actual yohurt from gowing through the wholes. leave it for as long as you can, minimum of 1/2 hour but the longer the better (makes it thicker)

then, grate the cucumber and drain the water out of it as much as you can.
    crush the garlic, you can use the jarred kind but the fresh stuff is much better. i use an electric chopper that you attache to a beat mixer.

mix it all in the yoghurt and add the vinegar.
    done. best served on lamb or chicken or you can use it as a dip.
    warning: the longer it lasts the stronger the garlic will get.

you can divide the recipe to make small amounts. ie 500ml yoghurt use 2 cloves etc.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Bump!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Fruit and yogurt plates. Simple but tastyyyy
  • kmc8834
    kmc8834 Posts: 6
    I use the Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt with 0% Fat like this:

5 ice cubes
    1 cup frozen mixed berries
    5 raw almonds
    1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
    1 packet of Vanilla Carnation Breakfast Powder
    1 tsp fat free milk
    1 raw banana broken into chunks

Blend together using a high-powered blender and Voila! The most amazing smoothie you have ever tried for breakfast!
    It's a great way to get in fruit and protein!!

PLEASE TRY AND ENJOY!
This discussion has been closed.