how do I lose 5 pounds a week??

Options
I know it isn't recommended to lose more than 2 pounds a week. I have already changed my eating habits. I just want to know how much I need to workout a day to have a weight loss goal of 5 pounds a week. I know doing the 30-Day Shred isn't enough. I am limited to workout DVDs and jogging in place at home. Any input for me???

Maybe I should do the 30-Day Shred a few times a day???

Replies

• daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    From what I know, this just isn't a safe weight loss. Your body will go into shock and resist such a rapid weight loss if it isn't done under an very closely monitored program.

Why such the hurry?
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    That's a 2500 cal/ day burn

Say you do some pretty intense sustained exercise and manage to burn 5-600 cal an hour... that's FOUR to FIVE hours of intense exercise. A DAY.

Do you realise how unrealistic that is?!
  • angelarose12
    Options
    I'm trying to win some serious cash lol. I am in a Biggest Loser contest with my fam. Most of them don't have kids or have people who can actually babysit their kids. They have all lost so much already and I barely lost 6. I have 38 days to go before final weigh in.
  • angelarose12
    Options
    That's a 2500 cal/ day burn

Say you do some pretty intense sustained exercise and manage to burn 5-600 cal an hour... that's FOUR to FIVE hours of intense exercise. A DAY.

Do you realise how unrealistic that is?!

I am just wondering what kind of input people have for me.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    From what I know, this just isn't a safe weight loss. Your body will go into shock and resist such a rapid weight loss if it isn't done under an very closely monitored program.

Why such the hurry?

totally agree
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    I am doing a 9 day nutritional cleanse (isagenix) and working in walking for an hour and some dvd stuff. Average weight loss for 9 days is 7-10lbs. I'm on day 2. Cruise in a week and my shorts are too tight.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you don't. That's how.
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't recommended to lose more than 2 pounds a week.
    Correct
    I am limited to workout DVDs and jogging in place at home. Any input for me???
    You should check out BodyRock.tv
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    with all due respect, for me, money is not worth the risks you would need to take to force your body to do this. I'm sorry, but asking this is bad juju IMHO.

The community on MFP works very hard to try to promote healthy weight loss and fitness goals, this is neither as far as I can tell.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    with all due respect, for me, money is not worth the risks you would need to take to force your body to do this. I'm sorry, but asking this is bad juju IMHO.

The community on MFP works very hard to try to promote healthy weight loss and fitness goals, this is neither as far as I can tell.

agree
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't recommended to lose more than 2 pounds a week. I have already changed my eating habits. I just want to know how much I need to workout a day to have a weight loss goal of 5 pounds a week. I know doing the 30-Day Shred isn't enough. I am limited to workout DVDs and jogging in place at home. Any input for me???

Maybe I should do the 30-Day Shred a few times a day???

To lose 5 pounds a week you must first reach 500-600 pounds. Then go on a 1,200 calories diet per day and workout 4 hours a day. Then completely dehydrate yourself.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My two cents - do your best, but stay safe, your health is worth more than a contest.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My fiance is in a biggest loser competition. He loses about 5 pounds a week (he was also 250 when he started), and after 6 weeks he is down almost 35 pounds. He has 4 more weeks to go, and the loss is slowing but still remains steady.

He eats his calorie goal on here to lose 2 pounds a week. He does 120-150 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. He does NOT eat back any exercise calories. Drink lots of water, eat clean, and get that cardio in.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm doing a biggest loser challenge at work. I'm seriously working out for at least an hour per day - today I burned 713 calories in my workout.

Even with that kind of burn I don't expect to lose 5 pounds in a week. Maybe the first week because you lose a lot of water weight the first week or two but after that it's just not realistic.

Putting the cash aside for the moment what do you really want out of this? A quick drop in weight that you'll just put right back on once the contest is over with (and don't forget the extra 5 pounds that you'll end up gaining back). I see this every single year at work with the "winners" of the contest. They'll do crazy things to drop 30 pounds during that 3 month period but 2 months later they have gained every pound of it back. HOWEVER, the people who use the contest as motivation to make real changes drop the weight and keep it off. One woman started with the contest last year and has now lost 48 pounds. She's my inspiration.

I'd love to win the cash for the contest I'm in but even if I don't I'm still a winner because I'll have changed my habits, learned better ways to eat and I will not only lose the weight but I'll keep it off.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey Sweetie,
    Just like everyone else is saying, no amount of money is worth risking your health. You may think it is now, but let me ask you something very serious:

Is the amount of money you stand to win enough to cover the medical bills if you cause serious damage to yourself in the process, like a heart attack, a stroke or something else like that?

If it isn't, then it isn't worth it. Don't worry about what other people are doing. I think that contests like that where someone wins the biggest amount of money or a trip or whatever by losing the most weight are BAAAAAAAAAAD! And I think that because weight is NOT as important as HEALTH. You may be TEN TIMES healthier than other people in your fam but weigh more than they do.

Don't do this to yourself. You are more important than a few bucks.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My fiance is in a biggest loser competition. He loses about 5 pounds a week (he was also 250 when he started), and after 6 weeks he is down almost 35 pounds. He has 4 more weeks to go, and the loss is slowing but still remains steady.

He eats his calorie goal on here to lose 2 pounds a week. He does 120-150 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. He does NOT eat back any exercise calories. Drink lots of water, eat clean, and get that cardio in.

Your fiance is doing himself a major disservice. It is VERY unhealthy to lag on exercise calories. In fact, it is rather DANGEROUS. Especially since he is overweight. He needs to be eating those calories. Slower weight loss is better than the impending heart attack that awaits him at a young age from starving his body.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well if cash is more important that your health, then eat 1200 calories a day, work out 5 hours a day everyday (burn 2500 calories a day)
    COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC.

If anything, if you just try and work out for an hour 5 or 6 days a week, eat 1200 calories minimum, you could lose a lot of weight, but you might not lose enough to win money.

Personally, being healthy is way more important to me than money.
  • Estrella4ever
    Options
    I did a challenge only for the money lost about 6 lbs and gained 15 back... I think the challenge puts too much pressure on a person who is really trying to lose weight to change their life. I wouldn't do it again... ever.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    One pound of fat = 3500 calories. Times that by 5 = 17500 calories or 175 miles running.

Me no think so somehow.

Your physio bill would cost you more than your winnings.

Do this properly. Your health is not a game.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ALSO,

Men lose body weight quicker than females. Look it up.
    That's why you see on the biggest loser show that the men might drop 8 pounds (because they are on a completely restricted diet with an intense trainer and they work out 7 days a week for 2+ hours a day) and the women will lose 3.

That's why they calculate it with body % and female-male ratio.
    If you guys are trying to see who can lose the most "pounds"
    well guaranteed, a guy will win.