Do I join the gym or not?

Options
I'm really feeling like I need to take some classes. Get on a long term plan.. What do you think? It's will cost about $39 a month but I'm saving almost that much in not buying sweet tea... lol I guess my question is do you love the gym or hate the gym and why

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i loved it until i started running... then i didn't need it. now i am also very into at-home fitness like P90X, Rev Abs, etc. and it is MUCH more price and time effective than the gym for me.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Well, my gym membership is a little more than that....after a lil while I wanted to cancel it but it was a contract for a year....so I still have to pay even if I decide to never go...which I don't....so make sure you're really committed to it or you'll be stuck paying for it...
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love it, I don't think I personally could exercise to my fullest potential without it... I find it encouraging to work out around other women :)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Loved it when I could afford it. Now I'm doing various dvds and it's working for me.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I love my gym, and it's way more than $39 a month, lol. It offers a great selection of classes and small group options, is staffed with really friendly and knowledgeable trainers, and obviously has all of the cardio/weight equipment you could need. It also has a steam room and a sauna, but I haven't used either yet.
    Paying for it definitely motivates me to use it; when I first joined I went 3 days a week, and now I go 6-7 days. I guess the saying is true that "the more you do it, the easier it gets!"

Hope this helps!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym... I got a bike and elliptical for my house on the money I have saved not having a gym membership since I cancelled it 4 years ago!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Join! What a great price $39!! Discipline of going to a gym daily is far easier for many of us than trying to fit a workout in at home between kids, family and every other little thing that steals our time away.

Gym time is 'me time' You deserve 'me time', we all do!

I think you should give it a go and see how you like it, nothing like taking classes with others looking to get and stay fit, it's highly motivating and if you try a Zumba class you'll be hooked and having the time of your life. Can you try a

That's a great way to think of it, by trading in sweet tea you can do something positive for yourself by getting fit emotionally and physically!:drinker::heart:

Edited to add: Oops I forgot to add, I LOVE the gym! In case that wasn't clear in my post above.:tongue:
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I never used it when I had a membership. Instead, i have my elliptical and weights at home and I also do workout DVD's (Love the 30 day shred). I just enjoy not having to get ready to go and just working out and getting it over with. Fits better into my daily schedule.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. I take the classes and they're what helps keep me motivated. I take Zumba and spinning and I definitely am in a routine now. Luckily it's a very convenient location for me and it's $29.95/month.
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    Love the gym. You can workout without distractions from home, get advice from others, and there is a slight pressure to perform well because you don't want to look like you are slacking off infront of everyone else. Haha.
  • sharondenn
    sharondenn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Wii for my exercise ... I alternate between Zumba, Biggest Loser game, Wii Fit Plus, and a few others .... keeps it interesting, no time for a gym for me!
  • LorinElizabeth
    LorinElizabeth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love the gym simply because they watch my 6,4 and 2 year old for 2 hours while I work out. Because of the kidcare I pay $62 per month but it is WELL worth every penny. I go 5 or 6 days a week, even if I don't feel like working out I will sit in the hot tub, sit in the sauna or take power nap on the couch.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't do the gym: the roads are free. In the past I have used the gym successfully though - something about knowing I was paying for it made me go.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought an elliptical and a bowflex for our "gym membership". We save money and I can work-out looking like poo and do it while the kids are sleeping and I don't have to factor in driving time and getting ready to go to the gym time into my workout time. I also use DVDs and free weights at home and the great outdoors. Working for me!

Whatever you decide - just get moving!
  • Lacey9693
    Lacey9693 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love going to gym. I love the classes to. I think well If I paid for it I feel more obligated to work out then I do at home.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't like being indoors all that much. I have lost all my wait without once stepping into a gym. I bought a couple videos, a stability ball, and some free weights and walk, run, and bike outdoors.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, too. When I work out at home, which I sometimes do, it's really easy to get sidetracked, but when I go the gym, I am there to focus on my workout.
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on joining Golds here for the classes. I need the structure, plus I have the ability to use the pool etc if I choose to. My bf's SIL goes so we will keep each other motivated. Some offer the contract, some don't. I weill have to do it for the year because of my student discount, but that also motivates me to use it because I pay for it.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    when I had the gym, I thought it was something I couldn't do without, until I couldn't afford their increased prices and cancelled. I run outdoors, strength train and round it out with workout dvd's . . . I honestly haven't missed it much. That was nearly 2 years ago.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about joining ours. They had kid care, but I don't know the ages for the kid care. I homeschool my kids and we want to do gym class in the pool, but I thought I would work out before or after if they would watch the kids.