Emotional Eater

Options
Hey guys! I'm new here! This website is so awesome! My name is Matt. I'm 27, and I'm starting at over 300 lbs. I'm looking for a healthy weight of 175 lbs when all is said and done. I tend to be an emotional eater, and with my mom battling cancer and other personal drama including a new job, my weight has sky-rocketed! I feel truly scared when I think of how unhealthy I am currently, and I DON'T want to become a statistic, knowing that my family has a history of heart disease and I hold all of my fat in the belly region. I've only ever really lost weight before on Atkins, and it wasn't healthy Atkins. It was cheeseburgers three times a day, or something worse. I gained the entire 80 lbs back more quickly than I lost it. This is about finding a way to deal with my binges and not letting them define me. This is about finding healthy alternatives when all I want is a large pizza or more items than should be eaten at once at McDonalds! I'm hoping to make some friends here :o) Any suggestions for someone who has started and stopped a lot but wants to start and finish this time? Thanks guys! I'm excited to do this with your support and I hope as I get propelled by you, I'll be able to support others along the way as well!

Replies

• dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt- You'll be so glad you took this first step and joined MFP! It is an amazing resource. You'll find really quickly that exercise is the best substitute for a pizza: ) At least for me, that's what I do now. In any case, welcome and good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. dlj
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    hey there...im an emotional eater as well....ive found that writing down how your day has gone....helps a lot while trying to loose weight for me....instead of focusing on eating my emotions..im able to actually focus on the actual emotions that im feeling....anyhow...i'll send you an add...this site is an awesome place!!
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Glad you joined, this is truly the way to success. Surround yourself with the right fitness choices, (healthy snacks, active friends, workout partners) and you can maximize your weightloss potential.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt,

I totally know what you mean about the emotional eating. I lost my mom in high school, and it's been downhill from there. And being in law school is like working at a stress factory, so until recently I too had some awful habits.

So glad you joined, and you'll be glad too! So welcome, and feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation!
    Becky
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt, I'm so sorry about your mom. That's awful, and I hope she's feeling OK and has good doctors, and treatment. That's really awesome of you to be part of her support network!

I'm an emotional eater, too. I think pretty much everyone is!

Sorry Atkins didn't work out for you. I don't think there is a magic bullet for anyone, sometimes the process is trial and error. The secret is not to let the "error" stop you from trying again. Working on changing my habit and limiting portion sizes has helped me a lot but other people follow specific diets. You just have to find what works for you.

Good luck!
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think that most over weight people at one point in their life is an emotional eater. I dont think that anyone chooses to be obese and unhealthy. Food becomes peoples friends, their security blanket. It is a very hard battle to win. I am also an emotional eater. I wish that there was something I could suggest that has been proven to work. The only think that I can think of is when you get upset and want to eat, go take a walk, call a friend, work out...anything but eat. Maybe if all us emotional eaters pulled together we could all help each other get over this road block of emotional eatting.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome and Good luck on your journey to a healthier you! I am also an emotional eater,totally. Just tonight I was feeling upset and frustrated so I went to the pantry =( ugh...I guess what helps is always being accountable for everything you put in your body, even right after a binge (as i do)....It makes you realize that what you are doing is not helping in the long run..I wish you the best! add me as a friend if you'd like...can't get enough support on here! ;)
  • Recycledsinner
    Recycledsinner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging words! This website is truly going to be an amazing tool to help keep me on track! Look forward to meeting my weight loss goals with all of you! :D
  • lockedonna
    Options
    This website has been great for me and documenting my food daily has opened my eyes to what I was and AM eating now. This site is a great network of people with so much knowlege about sticking to it and working past the hard parts, etc. I've only been on for a week, but the support is awesome. No one at my house wants to lose weight so I'm happy to find the support here and with my network of friends. Good luck to you. It's not easy, but it's so worth it!
  • northernpie
    Options
    G'day

Know exactly where you are coming from mate...

Good luck on your journey!

Cheers

*would love help from all the emotional eaters out there as well....add me please :)
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    your in the right place dude

good luck on the journey!!